Holbrook to the Gold Coast (Merged Threads)

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Lost with the analogy mate.  All I can go by is how he was with Hull and the money constraints there were at the time, but compared to Saints coaches of the past I don’t think his one year in post was great by any stretch.  I also don’t think the quality of players in that team was anywhere near what it is today either.

Cunningham had a very good group of players and didn’t make the best of it.  

Sorry made a typo, now corrected. I meant a top bloke does not equal a top coach.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mole says it’s a done deal and other Australian news agencies are reporting it could be announced as soon as tomorrow. 

Disappointed he’s off there of all places. The club’s very future is in jeopardy, the playing squad isn’t up to much and the culture there has been questionable for a long time. 

That’s the thing with Australian coaches, they soon go home. 

On 26/07/2019 at 03:20, goldcoaster said:

The news over here is that Walters is almost certain to be unveiled as Titans coach next week. I think Holbrook will still end up in the NRL, but with the Bulldogs.

I’m hearing that Holbrook has won the race and will be announced by Gold Coast imminently?

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

And some media are saying it might be sooner rather than later.

Any chance to get Sean Long back?

Can't see him leaving before the end of the season with Saints favourites to win the cup & GF and the Titans season effectively over.

Its a huge task to turn the Titans fortunes around that won't happen overnight,the worry is will he be given the time to complete the task.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

As a Saints fan I’m gutted  

Also it shows how far ahead of Super League the NRL is if the coach of our best club wants to leave to join their worst. 

Adrian Lam is staying, this is about Holbrook. Good luck to him, he seems a really decent bloke. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Also it shows how far ahead of Super League the NRL is if the coach of our best club wants to leave to join their worst. 

I’m not sure that’s necessarily the case. The advantage of going to GC for Holbrook is that he’d be able to run the ship as he sees fit - he will probably be given free reigns to restructure everything with Mal overseeing. That can be attractive to a coach and he may not have got that elsewhere 

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I think the Richard Marshall appointment as assistant earlier this year did hint towards a Holbrook departure, with Marshall perhaps to be “groomed” for the rest of the year to take over in 2020. 

Doubtful. I think Rush was over in Australia recently looking at options if Holbrook wasn't going to sign a new contract. Most likely it'll be another up and coming assistant from over there. Marshall perhaps in another couple of years depending on how he gets on.

He needs to leave Saints immediately and start sorting out our rubbish players and telling those that are not wanted they need to leave.

if he waits until November to start then 2020 is a write off because he needs to clear out players and bring in new ones

42 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don't think it shows that necessarily Eddie, It could just be that he prefers lamingtons and Vegemite and days without clouds from pillar to post.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just now, goldcoaster said:

I’ve heard the same. Disappointing. I think Holbrook is the wrong choice

Funny that's what the Saints fans said.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

In my view though, Holbrook is the wrong choice. It needed to be Walters.

i predict in 2 years time we’ll be back to square one and Holbrook will have taken us nowhere.

Yeah because Walters was such a success in his last role at an underperforming club.

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I doubt that its about top vs bottom.

I suspect it's more about lifestyle and family reasons. No disrespect to St Helens as a place - but a choice of signing up for a couple more years living in St Helen -  or signing, probably for more money, to live on the Gold Coast and - well - you can see the attraction...

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The Mole says it’s a done deal and other Australian news agencies are reporting it could be announced as soon as tomorrow. 

Disappointed he’s off there of all places. The club’s very future is in jeopardy, the playing squad isn’t up to much and the culture there has been questionable for a long time. 

That’s the thing with Australian coaches, they soon go home. 

I agree with the part about culture but I think the squad is pretty good and the culture is why under perform. If Holbrook can turn that around then he could have some success. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• John Drake changed the title to Holbrook to the Gold Coast (Merged Threads)
22 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I doubt that its about top vs bottom.

I suspect it's more about lifestyle and family reasons. No disrespect to St Helens as a place - but a choice of signing up for a couple more years living in St Helen -  or signing, probably for more money, to live on the Gold Coast and - well - you can see the attraction...

Is he though? There have been many rumours about GCT relocating to different parts of Australia, so it’s no guarantee he’ll be in the Gold Coast. Granted, Perth or Brisbane are still nicer to wake up to than St Helens but I would expect he’s got some assurances about the club’s location going forward. 

Good luck to him, its obvious he's gone for the cash as no coach would surely want to end their career by taking over such a basket case of a club like the Titans.

He may be able to turn around the culture of the club but he's still stuck with the worst squad in the NRL, something he wont be able to do much about for 2020

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, goldcoaster said:

In my view though, Holbrook is the wrong choice. It needed to be Walters.

i predict in 2 years time we’ll be back to square one and Holbrook will have taken us nowhere.

I can't believe you would want Walters, everytime I see him on tv as a coach or pundit he seems completely clueless.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Good luck to him, its obvious he's gone for the cash as no coach would surely want to end their career by taking over such a basket case of a club like the Titans.

He may be able to turn around the culture of the club but he's still stuck with the worst squad in the NRL, something he wont be able to do much about for 2020

Not sure if its the worst Squad in the NRL, just the worst run and worst culture.

2019_squads_titans.jpg?center=0.3,0.5&pr

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

Not sure if its the worst Squad in the NRL, just the worst run and worst culture.

2019_squads_titans.jpg?center=0.3,0.5&pr

Nope, still think I was right the first time - worst squad in the NRL !

There's maybe 5 good quality players there (Brimson, Arrow, Wallace, Proctor & James), Most of the rest wouldn't even be worth a spot in a SL team

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived