Holbrook to the Gold Coast (Merged Threads)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

The Titans finally sacked Garth Brennan and Kev Walters and Saints' Justin Holbrook touted as front-runners to replace him. Would be a big loss. 

Justin Holbrook every day of the week over Kevin Walters

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/garth-brennan-reportedly-sacked-by-titans/news-story/6d916535c03cc21e69dadc7fb7de94d0

Everyone in Australia seems to ignore how awful Walters was in his time at Catalan.

i know he's a bit of a Queensland darling, but personally don't see his pedigree as a coach. Obviously coaches can improve, as do players, but would say he's a bIt of a risk for the Gold Coast.

though with Meninga in charge of things at the Titans and Walters presumably available now, it seems he'd be the front runner.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Everyone in Australia seems to ignore how awful Walters was in his time at Catalan.

i know he's a bit of a Queensland darling, but personally don't see his pedigree as a coach. Obviously coaches can improve, as do players, but would say he's a bIt of a risk for the Gold Coast.

though with Meninga in charge of things at the Titans and Walters presumably available now, it seems he'd be the front runner.

What is Queensland darling about it? The guy has some of the best players in the world to pick from. Honestly, that team half coaches itself. His time at Catalans was disastrous. 

Whenever I listen to Walters as an expert pundit I think there is no way he can be a top coach, sometimes he is miles off in his analysis. 

Agree that it would be a big loss for Saints and Super League to lose Holbrook to Gold Coast. And would be a risky job for him to take, they continuously underperform and it looks like a cultural thing at the club to me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Allora said:

Brad Fittler suggests the Gold Coast team should be relocated to Brisbane.

I agree with him.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/move-the-titans-to-brisbane-brad-fittler-20190714-p52742.html

I don't think that will happen as the NRL would not want to leave an expanding area like the Gold Coast to fumbleball. Possibly a 2nd Brisbane team will be playing out of Redcliffe with the bigger games played at Suncorp.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I don't think that will happen as the NRL would not want to leave an expanding area like the Gold Coast to fumbleball. Possibly a 2nd Brisbane team will be playing out of Redcliffe with the bigger games played at Suncorp.

Every sport that has tried to set up on the Gold Coast has struggled or failed.

The Gold Coast does not have the demographic to make most sports work in that area.

AFL Clubs average 35k, the Gold Coast Suns between 11-14k depending on who you believe.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

I doubt 99% of Australians would know he Coached a Club in Super League or how that adventure panned out.

I’ve never been impressed with Walters but in fairness, it is probably not wise to judge his capability for the Gold Coast job, based on what he did at Catalans. He won’t have the language or cultural difficulties to overcome. 

You really have nothing to lose if you go for the Gold Coast job. They are perennial cellar dwellers, so no one expects them to do anything so anything you do achieve will enhance your reputation. They could do a lot worse than follow the Canberra model. 

I do think Holbrook should hold out for a better NRL role than this though.

With Brennan going, it should help Watkins because apparently he didn’t want him! Be interesting to see if he gets a game in the coming weeks  

3 hours ago, Allora said:

Brad Fittler suggests the Gold Coast team should be relocated to Brisbane.

I agree with him.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/move-the-titans-to-brisbane-brad-fittler-20190714-p52742.html

I don't think it's wise to leave Australia's sixth biggest city. I don't want to see the game contract in an area like that. Queensland deserves an additional team rather than just shuffling an existing team.

Good riddance to Brennan. Spoke for a long time about bring local juniors through, but in his 18 months here he 9nly brought one through (Arthurs) and he just announced he has signed for the Broncos. Brennan had a free reign in recruitment and signed a series of big money failures, such as Peachey, Cartwright, Latu, Boyd and Rein. He also failed to get the best of prodigious young talent Ash Taylor.

In my view we need a Queenslander as coach and Walters would be my preferred option. We need to have a Qlders-only recruitment policy. This will help us attract bigger crowds and a bigger following and help us compete with our Qld rivals. Walters can help us do that with his connections through his time as Origin coach. 

The club has potential - we just need success. Nobody wants to follow a losing team. When we were successful in 2007-10, our crowds were very good and we were heading in the right direction. Then a series of bad management decisions sent us spiralling downwards on all levels.

fingers crossed the club get it right this time

1 hour ago, Allora said:

The Gold Coast does not have the demographic to make most sports work in that area.

AFL Clubs average 35k, the Gold Coast Suns between 11-14k depending on who you believe.

Titans draw bigger crowds than most Super League clubs. With a winning team, hopefully with a strong Qld identity, I am confident we can get back to averaging 20k+ crowds

Rugby League is by far the biggest sport in the city. The Suns struggle nobody in the city follows AFL. I’ve no doubt a winning Titans team will be well-supported

16 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

Titans draw bigger crowds than most Super League clubs. With a winning team, hopefully with a strong Qld identity, I am confident we can get back to averaging 20k+ crowds

Rugby League is by far the biggest sport in the city. The Suns struggle nobody in the city follows AFL. I’ve no doubt a winning Titans team will be well-supported

The Suns are the new kid on the block and their crowds are poor but still better than the Titans Crowds.'

The Titans have bought good players that have underachieved time and time again.

The Gold Coast is not really a City, it is a bunch of Suburbs on a coastal strip populated by mainly retired Pensioners and young delinquent  drug addicts, hardly a supporters paradise is it?

19 minutes ago, Allora said:

The Suns are the new kid on the block and their crowds are poor but still better than the Titans Crowds.'

The Titans have bought good players that have underachieved time and time again.

The Gold Coast is not really a City, it is a bunch of Suburbs on a coastal strip populated by mainly retired Pensioners and young delinquent  drug addicts, hardly a supporters paradise is it?

As someone who actually LIVES in the city and grew up here, I disagree. Sure there are some undesirable people, but no more than any other cities. Lots of families here who are crying out for a successful team to get behind

5 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Toronto draw bigger crowds than most superleague clubs.

Titans problems are poor management and over paying players. They do have some good kids they have signed however and for me would look to build a team around them and players like Brimson, Arthars, Arrow, Wallace . They need to stop over paying players that really are average - Peachey, Boyd, Rein, Peats, Cartwright are rubbish and offer little. And Ash Taylor needs to decide if he wants to be a Footy player or not. If he wants so much money then he needs to play and perform.

8 hours ago, Allora said:

Well anybody who has a brain will know that afl house come up with all sort of figures that don't add up. How many times have they been caught out with the amount of juniors they claim are playing their game in NSW and QLD?

Who with any intelligence would believe the crowd numbers they put out for gws, the Suns and the Lions, when sometimes the stadiums are not even a 1/4 full?

2 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Titans problems are poor management and over paying players. They do have some good kids they have signed however and for me would look to build a team around them and players like Brimson, Arthars, Arrow, Wallace . They need to stop over paying players that really are average - Peachey, Boyd, Rein, Peats, Cartwright are rubbish and offer little. And Ash Taylor needs to decide if he wants to be a Footy player or not. If he wants so much money then he needs to play and perform.

Add to that they are never going to be relegated. 

2 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Someone else on this thread mentioned The Canberra model. I assume they mean bringing in a core of British Beef from clubs with winning cultures ala Wigan or Leeds historically  for example.

Do you think another 4 really good English players from SL would help the Gold Coast? 

As a coach Holbrook would probably find it hard to turn down a head coach role, as if he does not take it, when will the next offer in the NRL come? 

3 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Someone else on this thread mentioned The Canberra model. I assume they mean bringing in a core of British Beef from clubs with winning cultures ala Wigan or Leeds historically  for example.

Do you think another 4 really good English players from SL would help the Gold Coast? 

As a coach Holbrook would probably find it hard to turn down a head coach role, as if he does not take it, when will the next offer in the NRL come? 

Need to stop the poor management and recruitment. I think whoever is the new Coach has a tough gig. However the solution to getting the Titans part successful goes deeper than just bringing in another Coach. They need to stop over paying players and create a culture where hard work and respect is important. That Starts from the top. I would look to build from using mainly youngsters like Brimson, Arthars, Sami alongside the likes of Arrow, Wallace.

Archived