Holbrook to the Gold Coast (Merged Threads)

6 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Someone else on this thread mentioned The Canberra model. I assume they mean bringing in a core of British Beef from clubs with winning cultures ala Wigan or Leeds historically  for example.

"The Canberra model" was invented because the Raiders were forced to pay massive overs to attract any player from Sydney largely because of the way that the league is structured, not because they wanted to import a winning culture.

Broadly speaking the culture is, and always has been, here in Canberra, the problem was getting and retaining the cattle to get on with the job, and since it's been basically impossible to do that with Australian players (without completely screwing the cap) the club had to get creative, and that lead them to signing Poms because we could get a better standard of player cheaper by importing them from England then by paying overs to plodders to attract them from Sydney.

The Titans don't have that problem, they attract good players to head up there relatively easily and with their team they should be fighting it out in the eight, but they conically underperform, and history has shown with the Titans (and the Warriors for that matter) that importing players with a winning culture to change the culture doesn't work, they're careers just crash and burn.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

In my view we need a Queenslander as coach and Walters would be my preferred option. We need to have a Qlders-only recruitment policy. This will help us attract bigger crowds and a bigger following and help us compete with our Qld rivals. Walters can help us do that with his connections through his time as Origin coach. 

I don't think you've thought this through. . .

It's just dumb on the face of it because you're picking people based on where they are from instead of who's best for the job, but let's be honest here, if the Titans take a Queenslander only policy they're only going to be left with the Broncos and Cowboys leftovers, and most of the time that'd only end badly.

Anthony Griffin for me. He was shafted by the Broncos because they wanted Wayne Bennett back from Newcastle a few seasons ago and unbelievably was similarly axed by Gus Gould because he,Gould,wanted young Cleary to be coached by his dad. That was about this time last year with the Panthers in great form,in many fans eyes a good bet for the Premiership,but the in fighting was too much and they lost in the second round of the play offs. Kevvie is not the man,says he doesn`t want it anyway,same with Mal who wouldn`t want his great career tarnished with possible failure at club level. Griffin is a Queenslander,another must for the club who just keep getting it wrong,though as has already been said,the arrival of Jarryd Hayne was the catalyst for the sacking of poor Neil Henry.

Holbrook has verbally agreed the offer from the Dogs not the Titans.

what is unsure is whether he goes for 2020 or waits until 2021 when their SC problems will have finished and he can build a strong team from the start.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Tough call that one. Does he go in 2020 and then amidst local problems identify players he wants for 2021. Or does he leave it until 2021 when he can have a clear out then and bring in players.  2021 may be too late, players look for deals mid season. perhaps he'd better be over there 2020.

Whichever way, a massive loss for Saints although not entirely unexpected. 

16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

To some extent this has gone under the radar, because there had not been any speculation (well not a lot of speculation that i know of) that Holbrook might go at the end of season.  Wane's departure was something of a shock because he was on a rolling contract and the natural assumption was he was staying.

Plus, the Titans seems a bit of a poisoned chalice (?) so again no earlier speculation.      Anyway, are the Saints players up for winning this for the Gipper?

58 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

To some extent this has gone under the radar, because there had not been any speculation (well not a lot of speculation that i know of) that Holbrook might go at the end of season.  Wane's departure was something of a shock because he was on a rolling contract and the natural assumption was he was staying.

Plus, the Titans seems a bit of a poisoned chalice (?) so again no earlier speculation.      Anyway, are the Saints players up for winning this for the Gipper?

Holbrook's contract at Saints finishes at the end of this season, hence no speculation that he might go. He was due to go anyway so I wouldn't say it's under the radar as such. Although he had expressed an interest in staying a couple of months back before the NRL merry-go-round kicked off

1 hour ago, Moove said:

Holbrook's contract at Saints finishes at the end of this season, hence no speculation that he might go. He was due to go anyway so I wouldn't say it's under the radar as such. Although he had expressed an interest in staying a couple of months back before the NRL merry-go-round kicked off

I thought he gave the game away when he said he hadn’t heard anything yet on Sky, which I took to mean from Saints.  If I’ve read that right that could be a straight shootout between what he wants and what Saints have to offer.

15 hours ago, Moove said:

So, once the music stops and some poor NRL coach finds he has lost his seat... who will be coach next season?   I ask because up until now, no one has been speculating. 

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:38, goldcoaster said:

Good riddance to Brennan. Spoke for a long time about bring local juniors through, but in his 18 months here he 9nly brought one through (Arthurs) and he just announced he has signed for the Broncos. Brennan had a free reign in recruitment and signed a series of big money failures, such as Peachey, Cartwright, Latu, Boyd and Rein. He also failed to get the best of prodigious young talent Ash Taylor.

In my view we need a Queenslander as coach and Walters would be my preferred option. We need to have a Qlders-only recruitment policy. This will help us attract bigger crowds and a bigger following and help us compete with our Qld rivals. Walters can help us do that with his connections through his time as Origin coach. 

The club has potential - we just need success. Nobody wants to follow a losing team. When we were successful in 2007-10, our crowds were very good and we were heading in the right direction. Then a series of bad management decisions sent us spiralling downwards on all levels.

fingers crossed the club get it right this time

Out of interest, goldcoaster, would such an approach be legal under Australian employment law?

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:45, Saint Toppy said:

Holbrook has verbally agreed the offer from the Dogs not the Titans.

what is unsure is whether he goes for 2020 or waits until 2021 when their SC problems will have finished and he can build a strong team from the start.

Didn't know that; great coup for Batley!

8 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

So, once the music stops and some poor NRL coach finds he has lost his seat... who will be coach next season?   I ask because up until now, no one has been speculating. 

The smart money would be on another up and coming NRL assistant looking for a chance to prove they're worth a top job over there. The rumour mill will kick off once Holbrook has made a final decision but I suspect the club will go down the interview route they did last time rather than targeting someone in particular. Holbrook himself was a bit left-field at the time but a perfect fit for what we needed at the time. Someone like Demetriou would be my personal preference if Holbrook decides not to extend his stay. A couple of years then to see how Marshall gets on as assistant

2 hours ago, Moove said:

The smart money would be on another up and coming NRL assistant looking for a chance to prove they're worth a top job over there. The rumour mill will kick off once Holbrook has made a final decision but I suspect the club will go down the interview route they did last time rather than targeting someone in particular. Holbrook himself was a bit left-field at the time but a perfect fit for what we needed at the time. Someone like Demetriou would be my personal preference if Holbrook decides not to extend his stay. A couple of years then to see how Marshall gets on as assistant

The trouble is that for every Justin Holbrook that comes from the NRL there is a Royce Simmons.

2 hours ago, Moove said:

Demetriou I dont think will move to the UK. He seems to be happy being an assistant and working with Qld.

On 16/07/2019 at 17:58, Moove said:

Personally I think Marshall Is already lined up to take over. He’s served his time as an assistant and got experience at a head coach with Fax, plus he has half this season to get to know the players .

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 16/07/2019 at 20:59, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Demetriou I dont think will move to the UK. He seems to be happy being an assistant and working with Qld.

Read a interview with him recently, in which he was saying how much he and his family enjoyed their time over here, he still has a house here and wouldn't be adverse to returning, suppose it depends on what happens with Bennett and if he is lined up for anything in the NRL. A stint at a club like Saints would probably appeal to him?

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 02:36, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Out of interest, goldcoaster, would such an approach be legal under Australian employment law?

You wouldn't publicly have it as a policy, however recruting Rugby players is a bit different than standard employment recruitment. You don't advertise for players and interview them - you simply identify who you want and go after them. Who is going to legally challenge a club for going after certain players?

Lots of clubs pursue policies of locals juniors first etc. Look at Wigan, or Penrith. Gold Coast focusing on Queensland would not be unusual, let alone illegal! All clubs have strategies of some kind. Canberra recruit almost solely from England, and Catalans mostly from Australia! 

On 16/07/2019 at 22:43, Damien said:

The trouble is that for every Justin Holbrook that comes from the NRL there is a Royce Simmons.

Any bloke who runs 5 marathons in 5 days, to raise money for a club in dire straights is ok with me.  In my experience Royce is an absolute top bloke.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Any bloke who runs 5 marathons in 5 days, to raise money for a club in dire straights is ok with me.  In my experience Royce is an absolute top bloke.

I don't doubt that he is. The trouble is a good bloke does not equal a top coach, as Simmons proved.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't doubt that he is. The trouble is a top coach does not equal a top coach, as Simmons proved.

Lost with the analogy mate.  All I can go by is how he was with Hull and the money constraints there were at the time, but compared to Saints coaches of the past I don’t think his one year in post was great by any stretch.  I also don’t think the quality of players in that team was anywhere near what it is today either.

Cunningham had a very good group of players and didn’t make the best of it.  

Archived