Kickoff time

benji27

39 minutes ago, benji27 said:

Hi there can anyone please tell me the kickoff time for the Barrow Raiders v Toronto game, and any good bars to visit.

Its our first visit to Toronto for 18years.

Kickoff is 1 p.m. local time. Stadium opens around 11:30 a.m.

The area around Lamport Stadium has been massively developed since your last visit. It's now called LIberty Village and you can get there on the King Street 504 streetcar (tram). There are five or more great bars very close by for before & afters.

• Craft Brasserie on Atlantic Ave - brewpub with 120 craft beers on tap, best of the bunch for food
  • Big Rock/LIberty Commons on Jefferson Ave - good vibe, nice outdoor patio
  • 3 Brewers on Hanna Ave - officially the Wolfpack pub but it seems to be falling out of favour a bit. A selection of 5 or 6 of their own beers, nice patio.
  • Brazen Head on LIberty Ave
  • Local Liberty Village on Liberty Ave

You'll also experience the famous Beer Garden, inside Lamport Stadium. About 8-10 beer and cider vendors each home game. You buy tokens for $8.50 for any drink (14 oz) or you can buy cans (16 oz) from the beer guys in the stands for $9.50 (or a beer token plus $1). Food inside the stadium is limited to burgers and hot dogs. Sorry no pies.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the good information.The lack of pies won’t bother us as Barrow is only 20 minutes from the Lakedistrict which in my opinion is the most beautiful part of the UK,and knowhere near Wigan you’re traditional pie eating area?.Once again thank you for the information.

On 14/07/2019 at 18:16, ojx said:

Wish we had some later kick off times.

You can blame the rest of the league for that since the opposing teams wanted to be able to fly back directly to Manchester after the game. This meant moving up kickoffs to 1:00 in order to make the flight at 7:40. A later kickoff would mean flying to Glasgow the next day, plus a long bus ride. The teams didn't want to do that.

20 minutes ago, Lamport Life said:

You can blame the rest of the league for that since the opposing teams wanted to be able to fly back directly to Manchester after the game. This meant moving up kickoffs to 1:00 in order to make the flight at 7:40. A later kickoff would mean flying to Glasgow the next day, plus a long bus ride. The teams didn't want to do that.

I wonder whether this would change *IF* we get to SL?

1 hour ago, ojx said:

I wonder whether this would change *IF* we get to SL?

I think that would depend on whether or not Air Transat remains a sponsor after the buyout and if the SL will insist that Toronto continue to provide flights.

I think weekend home games are a given since weekday slots would not allow for broadcast in the UK at a reasonable time.

9 hours ago, Lamport Life said:

I think that would depend on whether or not Air Transat remains a sponsor after the buyout and if the SL will insist that Toronto continue to provide flights.

I think weekend home games are a given since weekday slots would not allow for broadcast in the UK at a reasonable time.

My understanding is that Toronto's obligation to pay for visiting teams' travel ends once we earn a place in Super League. So the visiting teams (all full-time) can make whatever travel arrangements suit them, and I would expect those preferences to be one input into the schedule making algorithm.

That was my understanding too. As for game time midweek would be out at home as does not fit in with Sky. We may get a thurs / fri away . Would be nice to have later kick offs on a weekend so the players are not playing in the hottest part of the day. Oh and it makes for a better time to visit the beer garden post game for the rest of us . Still got to get there yet though!

On 19/07/2019 at 09:07, Canis Lupus said:

That was my understanding too. As for game time midweek would be out at home as does not fit in with Sky. We may get a thurs / fri away . Would be nice to have later kick offs on a weekend so the players are not playing in the hottest part of the day. Oh and it makes for a better time to visit the beer garden post game for the rest of us . Still got to get there yet though!

Later starts also makes it easier for the significant number of families with children playing rugby since many age groups (U7, U9, U11, [some]U13, and U15) play Saturday morning and early afternoon.

8 hours ago, Lamport Life said:

Later starts also makes it easier for the significant number of families with children playing rugby since many age groups (U7, U9, U11, [some]U13, and U15) play Saturday morning and early afternoon.

Clearly this is so.  The old 4PM game times allowed for maximum attendances.  I don't know if there is a way around it though...it seems Sky is calling the shots on this one.

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Clearly this is so.  The old 4PM game times allowed for maximum attendances.  I don't know if there is a way around it though...it seems Sky is calling the shots on this one.

No, they are not. See my previous comments on the thread regarding flights.

SKY calls the shots on all broadcasts. Catalans already play Saturday afternoons at home - that's why some TWP games this summer aren't being televised at all because Catalans are being bumped so SKY can televise netball of all things - so unless SKY wants SL doubleheaders our Saturday afternoon games will be moved.

Archived