England Cricket, needs to thank RL

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It was the Marras wot won it.

Don't get me wrong overjoyed England won it, but it wasn't the Marras it was the "bat of god" meaning the field throw for the wicket that hit the back of Ben's bat to go to the boundary for an extra 4 runs, without that we lose.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't get me wrong overjoyed England won it, but it wasn't the Marras it was the "bat of god" meaning the field throw for the wicket that hit the back of Ben's bat to go to the boundary for an extra 4 runs, without that we lose.

True.

Totally ‘meh’ about the win and I say that as someone who has spent many a weekend playing cricket. 

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Limped over the line on a technicality against the mighty New Zealand. Whoop di doo.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't get me wrong overnoyed England won it, but it wasn't the Marras it was the "bat of god" meaning the field throw for the wicket that hit the back of Ben's bat to go to the boundary for an extra 4 runs, without that we lose.

Yeah nothing to do with a months batting, fielding and bowling.  Fantastic final and result in doubt right up to that last catch by the wicket keeper and successful run out.

What a day on the lap top whilst the missus had wimbledon on the telly.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

England hero Ben Stokes - Kiwi by birth - would not be here but for his father Ged coming over to play and coach Whitehaven and stay!

Think you will find he came over to coach Workington marra,Ben went to school in Workington ?

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Did Stokes junior ever play TGG?

not that I know , he was destined to go places in cricket from standing out at 15 or so in really good league standard 

He only took the Worky job because he asked for too much wonga to stay in the coaching job at Wellington.

Many years later, it paid off in one of the most ridiculously heart-stoppingly edge of the seat Cricket matches you'll ever see.

On the other side of the globe, a butterfly flaps a wing...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, bird said:

What team and league did he play in?  I' ve never thought of Cumbria as a cricket nursery.

Theres a strong cricketing base in Cumbria, Ben played for cocketmoith. Always been lots if cricket in Cumbria marra

1 hour ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Yeah nothing to do with a months batting, fielding and bowling.  Fantastic final and result in doubt right up to that last catch by the wicket keeper and successful run out.

What a day on the lap top whilst the missus had wimbledon on the telly.

We can see who wears the trousers in your house. ?

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If the throw had been more accurate/at the stumps, NZ would have won, ergo it was NZ poor fielding that cost them.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Ridiculous way to win a World Cup final. 

A proper global sport surely doesn’t proclaim its world champions on how the winning team accrued its points, only that it won more than their opposition.  

I'd hate for you to take a close look at how GB won the RLWC in 1972 ?

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That was nearly 50 years ago to be fair. 

Why not have another over? 

[1] So it doesn't matter?

[2] Get over yourself, you dreary little man. The rules are stupid but this is cricket and all cricket rules are stupid. It hasn't been a straightforward 'fewest wickets' in any competition for a long time because the understanding is that you'll risk more wickets in the chase. Boundaries is an odd one to choose - I would have gone with 'who finished highest in the group stage' - but at least it's about rewarding attacking play in the final itself.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

[2] Get over yourself, you dreary little man. The rules are stupid but this is cricket and all cricket rules are stupid. It hasn't been a straightforward 'fewest wickets' in any competition for a long time because the understanding is that you'll risk more wickets in the chase. Boundaries is an odd one to choose - I would have gone with 'who finished highest in the group stage' - but at least it's about rewarding attacking play in the final itself.

You would have decided a World Cup final sudden death shootout on group-stage results? Nurse!

47 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not everyone in the country supports England.

It's not Norman Tebbitt's cricket test ☺

Archived