England Cricket, needs to thank RL

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason I'd always assumed that Ben was related to George Stokes, the referee who resigned with some strong accusations against the RFL. Solely because of the height, hair and name I suppose.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That was nearly 50 years ago to be fair. 

Why not have another over? 

what happens if its a draw then, another over? what happens if its a draw then, another over? what happens if its a draw then, another over?.... penalties is a stupid way to end a football match or Rugby match for that matter.. at some point you have to have something and that is what they decided.. is it perfect? no but then i dont see anything in any other sport that is.

1 hour ago, RP London said:

what happens if its a draw then, another over? what happens if its a draw then, another over? what happens if its a draw then, another over?.... penalties is a stupid way to end a football match or Rugby match for that matter.. at some point you have to have something and that is what they decided.. is it perfect? no but then i dont see anything in any other sport that is.

Really once the game was tied they could’ve decided the winner on boundary’s then. No need for a super over what the super over did was give NZ another chance to win. Unfortunately for them they couldn’t take it. 

11 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Really once the game was tied they could’ve decided the winner on boundary’s then. No need for a super over what the super over did was give NZ another chance to win. Unfortunately for them they couldn’t take it. 

A lot of English league cricket (i.e. amateur) cup competitions decide the winner, in the event of a tie, by fewest wickets lost. No idea why boundaries was the chosen yardstick for this tournament.

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Thats a bit like Extra time and into penalties though, you wouldnt go straight to penalties etc so I can understand that. 

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

A lot of English league cricket (i.e. amateur) cup competitions decide the winner, in the event of a tie, by fewest wickets lost. No idea why boundaries was the chosen yardstick for this tournament.

my understanding is to encourage attacking play.

equally you change the rules you change the game so lets say it does down to wickets remaining and england know that... then would Rashid have swung at a "ball to nothing" (as they described it on tv) probably not.. so its him instead of Mark Wood running on the last ball. so they then probably wouldnt have tried to get the last run to win knowing that if he was out we would lose.. therefore if the rule had been different we would have probably finished exactly the same.

therefore back into a super over we go... do the kiwis then go for the last run at which point we are tied again with same wickets down in the super over... so how do you decide it then?

equally Joffra Archer also swung at a "ball to nothing" does he now not do that and we finish 7 down and win anyway. 

The good thing with boundaries is you get more of them and so there is less chance of that being tied.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

I couldn't work that one out either.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

my understanding is to encourage attacking play.

equally you change the rules you change the game so lets say it does down to wickets remaining and england know that... then would Rashid have swung at a "ball to nothing" (as they described it on tv) probably not.. so its him instead of Mark Wood running on the last ball. so they then probably wouldnt have tried to get the last run to win knowing that if he was out we would lose.. therefore if the rule had been different we would have probably finished exactly the same.

therefore back into a super over we go... do the kiwis then go for the last run at which point we are tied again with same wickets down in the super over... so how do you decide it then?

equally Joffra Archer also swung at a "ball to nothing" does he now not do that and we finish 7 down and win anyway. 

The good thing with boundaries is you get more of them and so there is less chance of that being tied.

But England were pegged down early on and it was the need to increase the run rate that meant they had to go for boundaries. That's an advantage the team batting first doesn't get.

rldfsignature.jpg

What i find so amazing is how so many English people just can't go...we won how fantastic was that, instead of always trying to be so bloody negative about it. That game yesterday grabbed the attention like Rugby League could only dream of

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

But England were pegged down early on and it was the need to increase the run rate that meant they had to go for boundaries. That's an advantage the team batting first doesn't get.

it is.. but you could say that in any sport about wind direction etc.. 

18 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

England hero Ben Stokes - Kiwi by birth - would not be here but for his father Ged coming over to play and coach Whitehaven and stay!

Actually Marra Ged Stokes came to these shores firstly to play for Workington Town...he made his debut on 25th August 1982 when Town beat Warrington 8-0 at Derwent Park.

18 hours ago, Sticklebricks said:

Think you will find he came over to coach Workington marra,Ben went to school in Workington ?

He came to play for Town in season 1982/83.....was in truth a poor replacement for Kiwi of previous season Shane Varley...and when the Derwent Park faithfull sussed this they let poor Ged know about it, thereby he only appeared 12 times for Town.

34 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

to be honest i think the biggest part of it is the likelihood of a tie on wickets vs a tie on boundaries.. its potentially the biggest chance to actually have a decider.. nothing is perfect though.. 

the only other way i would do it is bowl at 1 stump... one after the other. first 5 is a best of.. then sudden death.. 

7 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

NZ chose to bat first. 

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

It doesn't really matter why. 

What matters is that this was the agreed method picked before the tournament started and all teams knew those rules from the start, and all played to the same rules throughout.

A draw... and A draw again... hang on rule 19B subsection 3 states in case of a draw any side who invented the sport and had previously lost 3 One day cricket World Cup Finals could interpret the rules as they please in order to win said competition final at 4th attempt...  Congratulations. At least it was a little bit more exciting than a test cricket draw!!! 

Ged Stokes was selected for The "Kiwis" New Zealand Rugby League Team in 1982 he later coached Canterbury and Wellington Sides in the Batercard Cup National Competition. He moved with his family to coach in the UK.... 

51 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Surely this can’t be true, every English cricketer must be a born and bred Englishman or Cricket would be the laughingstock of sport, as apparently will happen with Rugby League if Hastings and Austin play for Great Britain 

Many a true word.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Surely this can’t be true, every English cricketer must be a born and bred Englishman or Cricket would be the laughingstock of sport, as apparently will happen with Rugby League if Hastings and Austin play for Great Britain 

My feelings on heritage and residential qualification has nothing to do with how others see our sport... I care not one bit.

What it is based on however is how satisfying the result will be when we finally beat the Aussies in a series or tournament final after 30 years of waiting. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived