England Cricket, needs to thank RL

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

My feelings on heritage and residential qualification has nothing to do with how others see our sport... I care not one bit.

What it is based on however is how satisfying the result will be when we finally beat the Aussies in a series or tournament final after 30 years of waiting. 

30 years? If only. 

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

30 years? If only. 

That's how long I've been waiting... although it is more like 35 now!

I want it to be worth the wait. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 14/07/2019 at 20:58, Sticklebricks said:

Think you will find he came over to coach Workington marra,Ben went to school in Workington ?

Think you will find Ged first played for Town  before he came back as coach and Ben went to school in Cockermouth and played his first cricket at Cockermouth cricket club.Wasnt a bad League player either .

Just now, deluded pom? said:

35 years? If only. Keep guessing.

I'm talking about how long I have been involved in our sport.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 14/07/2019 at 19:54, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

What a day on the lap top whilst the missus had wimbledon on the telly.

I have a great affinity with that predicament. I too was relegated to lap top land, but I ended up watching Halifax v Widnes instead.

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It’s almost half a century since we beat them in a series or WC.

Yes. I know.

And I have been watching us lose for 35 of those years which is what I am referring to. 

3 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

I have a great affinity with that predicament. I too was relegated to lap top land, but I ended up watching Halifax v Widnes instead.

And of course the TV is handily placed much nearer the kitchen for the missus.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

5 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Wimps ?

If you are referring to Widnes? In all fairness; the lads gave a good account of themselves, but Fax were on fire, with home advantage and cheeky Chester Butler #4 entertaining.

If however, you were referring to the plight of the respective posters; please dear sir spare a thought for what fearsome creatures we may be up against.

Image result for nora batty

9 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Why does everyone keep saying 'marra'? ..... What does it mean? 

Equally mystified. Have been googling.......................

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/explained-15-well-known-geordie-11601646

Marra, as a slang word for a mate, derives from a local pronunciation of marrow, which has been used to mean “companion” or “workmate” since the 1400s. No one really knows where the word comes from, but it’s possible that it might be related to an old Scandinavian word meaning “friendly” or “outgoing”.

Also, from Cumbria "marra" friend (West Cumberland)

22 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

You need to ask a jam eater

As long term residents of West Cumbria know, jam eater was, according to some, a term of abuse and, for all I know, in the minds of many it still is. It can apply to someone who comes from Workington – and is usually spoken, rather scornfully, by those hailing from Whitehaven.

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Why does everyone keep saying 'marra'? ..... What does it mean? 

I use to hear it said a lot at dart matches after a double finish.  Good arra marra.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

9 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

Equally mystified. Have been googling.......................

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/explained-15-well-known-geordie-11601646

Marra, as a slang word for a mate, derives from a local pronunciation of marrow, which has been used to mean “companion” or “workmate” since the 1400s. No one really knows where the word comes from, but it’s possible that it might be related to an old Scandinavian word meaning “friendly” or “outgoing”.

Also, from Cumbria "marra" friend (West Cumberland)

Thanks marra ?

Delighted England won the cricket World Cup despite the very strange ending , but on another theme , why did the Mens final at Wimbledon go to a tie break ?I understand matches in the past have gone on endlessly so they brought a rule in on how many games they would have in the last set , but a tie break in the final in the deciding set is just shabby .And don`t get me started on football when Teams spend 4 years playing and qualifying for a World Cup and then decide it all on penalties .

7 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Delighted England won the cricket World Cup despite the very strange ending , but on another theme , why did the Mens final at Wimbledon go to a tie break ?I understand matches in the past have gone on endlessly so they brought a rule in on how many games they would have in the last set , but a tie break in the final in the deciding set is just shabby .And don`t get me started on football when Teams spend 4 years playing and qualifying for a World Cup and then decide it all on penalties .

so you do understand.. that is exactly why.. people need to go home and the competition needs to end at some point (tv viewing etc as well)

same as why finals no longer go to replays etc.. logistically it is expensive and difficult to have extra days on plan "just in case" and people pay money to see the FINAL and the trophy presented.

Archived