Channel 4 to broadcast the Championship?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do realise that we'll have to match today's Cricket world Cup Final for sporting excitement every single week, right? ? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You do realise that we'll have to match today's Cricket world Cup Final for sporting excitement every single week, right? ? 

Perhaps with extra time after a tie and reduced to 11 a side but only allow  3 players scoring.

If it does go to C4 there will be wider commercial sponsorship benefits.

I wonder how much of this interest is down to the publicity the likes of Toronto and Tolouse have brought to the competition?

15 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Just reading LE and it’s stated that Sky and the BBC are believed to be the other two interested companies.

Sky would probably offer enough to win the contract and then ignore us by putting it on the red button.

We might not get as much money but free to air would get more eyeballs and other commercial opportunities. 

Let us hope the powers that  be  take the long view and not go for the quick fix.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 minute ago, Bearman said:

Sky would probably enough to win the contract and then ignore us by putting it on the red button.

We might not get as much money but free to air would get more eyeballs and other commercial opportunities. 

Let us hope the powers that  be  take the long view and not go for the quick fix.

Surely the Championship clubs would have some say in the matter? Having said that, when have the clubs ever taken the long view.

rldfsignature.jpg

Itd be great if whatever happens it could be packaged up in an attractive way. Rugby League Raw was a little erm, raw, shall we say, but it was watchable TV just for the behind the scenes stuff and stories of the fans. This kind of access all areas could be a usp for Champ Rugby as an alternative to SL. 

28 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Itd be great if whatever happens it could be packaged up in an attractive way. Rugby League Raw was a little erm, raw, shall we say, but it was watchable TV just for the behind the scenes stuff and stories of the fans. This kind of access all areas could be a usp for Champ Rugby as an alternative to SL. 

Scrumdown was well worth watching with John Helm.Shown about 11pm as i remember.I even picked myself out in the Bullock stand at Fev v Hull KR .Think ITV showed those games and i had loads of video tapes of the programme.When i moved house they all ended up in landfill,now i would have loved to transfer them onto discs.Some great characters in those games they didn't need to consult the Coaches plays they made it up as they played.The most memorable game was Oldham playing at the Watershedings on 8inch of snow with the lines marked out in blue dye.B-ll-cks to health and safety.

When channel 4 did the NFL it was presented really well with a great intro and great music with the game segments.  They chose pretty good presenters too.  The problem might just be the fear of choosing a different partner could influence Sky with SL.  Will be a tough call imo.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The problem might just be the fear of choosing a different partner could influence Sky with SL.

I think there'll be a beneficial influence a reminder to Sky they're not the only game in town.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Put it on B.B.C. or channel 4 then I would cancel Sky and save 50 odd quid a month.

Good idea. If we all did that, how much more money would that inject into the game? 

Channel 4 have always presented sport well. I would love to see the game shown on Channel 4. Regardless of what SKY might offer, and what promises they might make, i'd still want to see the RFL go into a partnership with Channel 4. Opens up so many more possibilities.

Though can imagine what many clubs, at all levels, will prioritise in any deal.

Imagine if viewing figures were decent. The potential for more content increases. Superleague, NRL, Internationals etc

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

When channel 4 did the NFL it was presented really well with a great intro and great music with the game segments.  They chose pretty good presenters too.  The problem might just be the fear of choosing a different partner could influence Sky with SL.  Will be a tough call imo.

its an interesting one as Channel 4 and Sky do have a relationship, not sure exactly what it is but its why Channel 4 were picked to show the Cricket World Cup final... in their announcement they mentioned a good relationship etc.. 

Archived