Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Channel 4 to broadcast the Championship?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Copa said:

Excellent.

It could be a rival televised rugby league competition with the same salary cap and potentially more TV viewers.

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. More viewers maybe but certainly not the same salary cap. If anything, and if the game goes down the route that Super League keeps all its TV money and the Championship likewise, Championship clubs will probably have far less to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damien said:

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. More viewers maybe but certainly not the same salary cap. If anything, and if the game goes down the route that Super League keeps all its TV money and the Championship likewise, Championship clubs will probably have far less to spend.

They already have the same salary cap don’t they? Most can’t afford it though. 

If there are a number of broadcasters interested, that’s competitive tension for rights. Increased exposure brings better sponsors etc.

Increased exposure can also bring investors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Copa said:

They already have the same salary cap don’t they? Most can’t afford it though. 

If there are a number of broadcasters interested, that’s competitive tension for rights. Increased exposure brings better sponsors etc.

Increased exposure can also bring investors.

the difference that can be made as well is tiny. we're not talking of having to find wealthy oligarchs form the middle east.. there is a real possibility of this type of thing happening almost NFC v AFC in the NFL.. not quite as good a league but not far off and with not much investment it could get there. Now just bring back the old championship trophy pleeeaaase!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Copa said:

They already have the same salary cap don’t they? Most can’t afford it though. 

If there are a number of broadcasters interested, that’s competitive tension for rights. Increased exposure brings better sponsors etc.

Increased exposure can also bring investors.

Yes they do so no change there. I thought you were referring to actually now being able to spend the same.

We'll see. There is not a chance that any deal with Channel 4, the BBC or whoever will give the lower leagues as much as they currently get from their cut of the Super League deal. That's not to say it wont be good for the game, the exposure would be great, but it will require changes to the way lower league clubs operate in my opinion and will have to see wages etc lowered. That could all be coming anyway depending on what Super League does in the next TV deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oxford said:

I think there'll be a beneficial influence a reminder to Sky they're not the only game in town.

I don't think Sky will be so naïve and as RP says, they have just allowed C4 to show the Cricket WCF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes they do so no change there. I thought you were referring to actually now being able to spend the same.

We'll see. There is not a chance that any deal with Channel 4, the BBC or whoever will give the lower leagues as much as they currently get from their cut of the Super League deal. That's not to say it wont be good for the game, the exposure would be great, but it will require changes to the way lower league clubs operate in my opinion and will have to see wages etc lowered. That could all be coming anyway depending on what Super League does in the next TV deal.

They'd definitely have to rethink how they do sponsorship etc. That has to be where the extra income is leveraged from.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The Championship to be on C 4 ? , Sounds good , but as in everything , it comes down to money 

Will there be any ?

They'll pay what it's worth to them. Same as ever. 


"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am definitely not a traditional League naysayer, but is Championship League on terrestrial TV really what we want the public to watch? 2nd level rugby in third 3rd stadiums, watched by a few hundred people in some cases? Not exactly selling the glamour of the TGG while the real diamonds are still hidden behind a pay wall.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Goughy said:

I am definitely not a traditional League naysayer, but is Championship League on terrestrial TV really what we want the public to watch? 2nd level rugby in third 3rd stadiums, watched by a few hundred people in some cases? Not exactly selling the glamour of the TGG while the real diamonds are still hidden behind a pay wall.

It’s absolutely what you want people to watch.

You want as much RL as possible on free to air TV. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s absolutely what you want people to watch.

You want as much RL as possible on free to air TV. 

There is an image issue, you do want to create content and get people watching but you also want to show them your best face.

The championship, as a competition, is disastrously organised and it would probably damage the sport if the image it put out there was of a sport that couldnt put out full squads and was played live from a park in Rochdale. It

It's not as simple as just having a product, you need a good one people will put off.

Saying that I hope it comes off, the championship professionalises its operations and the game goes for. Strength to strength

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There is an image issue, you do want to create content and get people watching but you also want to show them your best face.

The championship, as a competition, is disastrously organised and it would probably damage the sport if the image it put out there was of a sport that couldnt put out full squads and was played live from a park in Rochdale. It

It's not as simple as just having a product, you need a good one people will put off.

Saying that I hope it comes off, the championship professionalises its operations and the game goes for. Strength to strength

I shouldn't have read your post because;

1. You have no interest in anything below SL, so why do you care and secondly how would you know? 

2. Everything else you write says otherwise.

Hence back on ignore

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goughy said:

is Championship League on terrestrial TV really what we want the public to watch? 2nd level rugby in third 3rd stadiums, watched by a few hundred people in some cases?

It never stopped the BBC when they used to show Rugby Special (sic).

  • Like 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd wait until there is some more positive news before getting carried away. '  .. expressed interest in broadcasting Championship rugby league '  could frankly mean whatever you want it to.

Would it be highlights,would it be a magazine programme,would it be one game a week,clashing with a Super League televised game,would it just be the play offs,who would pay the production costs,never mind anything else etc,etc.

It's encouraging that there is apparently interest and hopefully the RFL wouldn't make such a statement unless they were optimistic,but it could easilly be highlights,screened on Channel 4 at midnight on tues,without paying anything to clubs.Equally,it might just be negotiating to get a deal from Sky for Super League.By the way,surprised B.T. haven't been mentioned somewhere.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the 'devil is in the detail' with this one...

'Expressed interest' could just mean that they've had a chat with Ralph Rimmer. Well, Ralph had a few 'chats' with the Hearns, but it never amounted to anything concrete. So I'll hold back on getting too excited yet!

Like Cookey says, a half-hour highlights package shown at some unearthly hour isn't really all that exciting, especially if there's little or no money involved. Would they be showing full-games? What 'slot' would they want? Remember Premier Sports showing games on Thursday evenings? If I remember, that didn't come with any cash either...

So let's see how this progresses. It's moderately good news so far - at least there are real broadcasters who appear to be at least interested in having the discussion about TV coverage. That's good news as far as it goes - but there's a long way to go yet before we can start rejoicing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect this was part of the plan all along.

Super League get reduced money but don't have to share it and Ch and Lg 1. look elsewhere for a few quid.

It might even have been Sky's idea.

If BBC and Ch 4 are interested, the competition would drive up the money involved. It could be good.

Toronto (or Toulouse) and Ottawa would add spice too along with New York the year after.

Ha Ha, what if viewing figures overtook Super League???

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

It never stopped the BBC when they used to show Rugby Special (sic).

Absolutely. I was thinking of that when I typed.  I never liked Union but part of that may be that Rugby Special made it look awful with one man and his dog watching a game separated from the pitch by just a rope. I’d keep 2nd rate League off TV as it damages the product.  The real key should be getting more International rugby.  Showcase our best in events and not something that looks village level.  That stuff is perfect for the dedicated League fans who want extra content on the OurLeague app.  We are not going to attract young kids to the excitement and glamour of the sport, or attract back those who have drifted away from the game, with Sheffield vs Dewsbury.  However, plenty of us who love the sport would love access to that game.

If free to air TV is like a Tinder profile then it isn’t just about getting something up that people can see.  It is about your best photos and bio to sell yourself to someone who doesnt know you otherwise people will swipe left.  How do we want an audience to view our game? Our best foot forward are Internationals. Championship League is "Us" but isn’t our best profile.  People will not find us attractive. I think it would damage the game by presenting a side that people will think is a reflection of our pinnacle when it really isn’t.  I hate the term but it would damage the brand.  We need to be savvier.

EDIT: Saying all that, a weekly highlights show certainly wouldn’t hurt if presented and packaged well.

Edited by Goughy
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I suspect this was part of the plan all along.

Super League get reduced money but don't have to share it and Ch and Lg 1. look elsewhere for a few quid.

It might even have been Sky's idea.

If BBC and Ch 4 are interested, the competition would drive up the money involved. It could be good.

Toronto (or Toulouse) and Ottawa would add spice too along with New York the year after.

Ha Ha, what if viewing figures overtook Super League???

I'm sure the viewing figures would far outstrip those for SL.

  • Like 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goughy said:

Absolutely. I was thinking of that when I typed.  I never liked Union but part of that may be that Rugby Special made it look awful with one man and his dog watching a game separated from the pitch by just a rope. I’d keep 2nd rate League off TV as it damages the product.  The real key should be getting more International rugby.  Showcase our best in events and not something that looks village level.  That stuff is perfect for the dedicated League fans who want extra content on the OurLeague app.  We are not going to attract young kids to the excitement and glamour of the sport, or attract back those who have drifted away from the game, with Sheffield vs Dewsbury.  However, plenty of us who love the sport would love access to that game.

If free to air TV is like a Tinder profile then it isn’t just about getting something up that people can see.  It is about your best photos and bio to sell yourself to someone who doesnt know you otherwise people will swipe left.  How do we want an audience to view our game? Our best foot forward are Internationals. Championship League is "Us" but isn’t our best profile.  People will not find us attractive. I think it would damage the game by presenting a side that people will think is a reflection of our pinnacle when it really isn’t.  I hate the term but it would damage the brand.  We need to be savvier.

EDIT: Saying all that, a weekly highlights show certainly wouldn’t hurt if presented and packaged well.

The last line is what I think would work.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Put it on B.B.C. or channel 4 then I would cancel Sky and save 50 odd quid a month.

We DON'T want it on sky, we wouldn't be any better off, not everyone as sky and like as been mentioned before they wouldn't show it. Terrestrial TV please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RP London said:

the difference that can be made as well is tiny. we're not talking of having to find wealthy oligarchs form the middle east.. there is a real possibility of this type of thing happening almost NFC v AFC in the NFL.. not quite as good a league but not far off and with not much investment it could get there. Now just bring back the old championship trophy pleeeaaase!

I believe the grand old trophy was given to Wigan to keep, should never have been given to them. It would be great to see the Championship Clubs playing for it, SL are welcome to that drab lump of metal that they play for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goughy said:

Absolutely. I was thinking of that when I typed.  I never liked Union but part of that may be that Rugby Special made it look awful with one man and his dog watching a game separated from the pitch by just a rope. I’d keep 2nd rate League off TV as it damages the product.  The real key should be getting more International rugby.  Showcase our best in events and not something that looks village level.  That stuff is perfect for the dedicated League fans who want extra content on the OurLeague app.  We are not going to attract young kids to the excitement and glamour of the sport, or attract back those who have drifted away from the game, with Sheffield vs Dewsbury.  However, plenty of us who love the sport would love access to that game.

If free to air TV is like a Tinder profile then it isn’t just about getting something up that people can see.  It is about your best photos and bio to sell yourself to someone who doesnt know you otherwise people will swipe left.  How do we want an audience to view our game? Our best foot forward are Internationals. Championship League is "Us" but isn’t our best profile.  People will not find us attractive. I think it would damage the game by presenting a side that people will think is a reflection of our pinnacle when it really isn’t.  I hate the term but it would damage the brand.  We need to be savvier.

EDIT: Saying all that, a weekly highlights show certainly wouldn’t hurt if presented and packaged well.

You make a very good argument for not having it broadcast 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Channel 4 would be excellent for Championship Rugby League And I think they would be as near as damn it the perfect partner for us.

Free to air,which will I think encourage sponsors for the clubs.It will give clubs a potential wide audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...