Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Channel 4 to broadcast the Championship?

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Can you highlight another sport that gets its 2nd tier shown on terrestrial TV? They aren't because they generally aren't that attractive to mainstream audiences. Even football has 2nd tier stuff on Sky and Quest (not sure if they also use C5). 

Unless we can offer something interesting it is unlikely a terrestrial channel will value the product. Sure they may allow the RFL to film it and give us a midnight slot to broadcast it, but I dont see why they would put investment into it, which is what we should be aiming for.

And Cricket has created whole new versions of the sport to get some additional coverage, so I'm not sure why you are so against making the presentation more interesting.

Quest is on freeview, doesn’t that count as terrestrial?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Just now, Manx RL said:

Quest is on freeview, doesn’t that count as terrestrial?

Aye, good question, dunno really, is that even modern terminology now? 

Cos I use Sky I'm not even sure what is on freeview nowadays.

Everyone of the championship and league 1 clubs have a story and history worth sharing, would love to see all our teams featured alongside a social history of the northern towns

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Everyone of the championship and league 1 clubs have a story and history worth sharing, would love to see all our teams featured alongside a social history of the northern towns

Yes, that would be interesting, but we should also remember our newer members in London, Coventry etc. and in the future hopefully Ottowa. 

Plenty of interesting stories to tell I'm sure.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Would this hold massive interest for the rest of the country?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We see plenty of shows about blokes on a train, or riding a dhingy round an island, I see no reason why people wouldn't be interested in stories of these towns and clubs.

And it doesn't need to hold massive interest for the rest of the country, there are loads of niche shows on tv, that get some decent figures.

I'm sure this has been voiced earlier, I can't be added going over all 5 pages.

The RFL will sign with whichever company pays them the biggest figure.

We could do with more exposure, but RFLHQ just want money in their own personal pockets in the short term. Typical Northern Businessmen, give us the money now! Never mind all this "Long Term Investment" Bull that the South are trying to do us out of our Shillings. Clubs are 30-40 years behind marketing, RFL is still in the 50's.

When did you go to the cinema and see a RL game advertised? Or even World Cup? In M62 heartlands there is very little "Hard" advertising.

In cinemas in Hull, Leeds, Manchester, & Liverpool & Cumbria & Newcastle we could provide a 7 minute try tape of last weekends games, show them as 'adverts' for a build up to the GF & CCF?

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I'm sure this has been voiced earlier, I can't be added going over all 5 pages.

The RFL will sign with whichever company pays them the biggest figure.

We could do with more exposure, but RFLHQ just want money in their own personal pockets in the short term. Typical Northern Businessmen, give us the money now! Never mind all this "Long Term Investment" Bull that the South are trying to do us out of our Shillings. Clubs are 30-40 years behind marketing, RFL is still in the 50's.

When did you go to the cinema and see a RL game advertised? Or even World Cup? In M62 heartlands there is very little "Hard" advertising.

In cinemas in Hull, Leeds, Manchester, & Liverpool & Cumbria & Newcastle we could provide a 7 minute try tape of last weekends games, show them as 'adverts' for a build up to the GF & CCF?

You seem to dismiss sponsorship opportunities. As from 2021 you can clearly see Sky sticking with SL. Their interest as in a bid for Championship is solely not to show it.

Not sure how that will work out for SL as often the bid from Sky has included the lower tiers or no deal.

I hope C4 get it on board and become the saviour of the game. As has been said the monetary value would be smaller but the options available would more than compensate for that.

Now I understand Hetherington and Sinfields plan. They want to give the Rhinos more exposure to the nation by being on FTA TV. Genius! 😉

• Sad 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

We see plenty of shows about blokes on a train, or riding a dhingy round an island, I see no reason why people wouldn't be interested in stories of these towns and clubs.

And it doesn't need to hold massive interest for the rest of the country, there are loads of niche shows on tv, that get some decent figures.

But they are generally short, limited runs, not 29 week, multi-season series.

The world isnt suddenly going to bend to our will. We need to ensure our offering is attractive.

Just clarify what I mean here, there probably is space for an RL raw style programme and if C4 are interested that's what it's likely to be, a more social, documentary, highlights programme. But RL raw wasnt a game changer and bbc2 gets better ratings than C4 and it was by no means any sort of 'saviour of the game'. 

Getting this kind of deal would obviously be an opportunity but if the championship doesnt change and professionalise then it wont realise the benefits. 

Edited by scotchy1

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Can you highlight another sport that gets its 2nd tier shown on terrestrial TV? They aren't because they generally aren't that attractive to mainstream audiences. Even football has 2nd tier stuff on Sky and Quest (not sure if they also use C5). 

Unless we can offer something interesting it is unlikely a terrestrial channel will value the product. Sure they may allow the RFL to film it and give us a midnight slot to broadcast it, but I dont see why they would put investment into it, which is what we should be aiming for.

And Cricket has created whole new versions of the sport to get some additional coverage, so I'm not sure why you are so against making the presentation more interesting.

Football Quest HD

11 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

Football Quest HD

Well yes, you'll see I highlight that. Football is in a different league to anything else in this country.

Just now, Dave T said:

Well yes, you'll see I highlight that. Football is in a different league to anything else in this country.

Well hopefully they're will be another and they won't mess with it to look like gladiators (although some might like that).

26 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

Well hopefully they're will be another and they won't mess with it to look like gladiators (although some might like that).

Yes, because that's what people are suggesting.

Not much point discussing with paranoid people who make up their own fictitious arguments.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

You seem to dismiss sponsorship opportunities. As from 2021 you can clearly see Sky sticking with SL. Their interest as in a bid for Championship is solely not to show it.

Not sure how that will work out for SL as often the bid from Sky has included the lower tiers or no deal.

I hope C4 get it on board and become the saviour of the game. As has been said the monetary value would be smaller but the options available would more than compensate for that.

I am not dismissing sponsorship, but we need to break away from the Sky monopoly, we need more than "The Super League Show" on BBC2 at midnight on a Monday/ 1300 on a Tuesday. We need highlights at a time when the working person can see them, 1900 on a Tuesday maybe, early enough so kids due for school on Wednesday can see it, and late enough for the adults to return home from work. At the moment the BBC are pitching the highlights programme at the unemployed, those who stay up late up north, and those with a Sky record box. 

I'm not sure how much influence Adam Hills has in this, but if he can help get RL on C4, so be it.

• Like 1

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

22 hours ago, Colin James said:

The Championship now contains some full time teams and even the part timers have a much more professional approach to the game than 15 years ago. Toulouse, Toronto and in the future maybe more foreign teams will join which is a great way of opening up the game to people who aren't from small northern towns. 

There is a lot of if's, but's and maybe's. Exactly what are the RFL offering, and what do they want? 

They cannot offer a big city international league if TWP leave for Superleague at the end of the year. If SL block them then the Championship would lose Toulouse instead. If blocked would Argylle pull out? If so do Ottawa also pull out? Ottowa are quoted in Matt Shaw's article as currently not joining as they have "one hurdle to clear" before they can enter. Still no recruitment only a rumour of a search for a head coach.

New York weren't up to scratch and the only  other big city foreign teams are those people like to make up in their heads  (this is OK but not saleable). Channel 4 may have listened to Mr. Rimmer who got his own personal publicity as a dynamic and thrusting leader, but in effect the only substance of what can be offered is small town mainly West Yorkshire RL based on Leigh, Fev, York, Halifax, Batley and Dewsbury with a couple of the old big time clubs of Bradford and Widnes who aren't going to look good on TV at all when people watch them and remember just what RL powerhouses they used to be. Is a shadow of your former self saleable?

The positive vibe is that this will be "exposure", but again note the excellent point made that SKY appear to want to be the ones to exclusively screen the week to Week games in the leagues, in which they ignore screening the Championship to push all their viewers to wards Superleague. I recall SKY backing off showing the championship because it wasn't even worth the significant production costs to them? So is this a loser for Channel 4 just on that basis? Or is Rimmer offering to pay screening costs like TWP do now?

The elephant in the room however is the best part of £18,000,000 of SKY money the Championship clubs used to get and won't get under the new SKY deal. Just at what actual level will Championship RL be played when all the Championship clubs will have to reduce their costs and budgets and be even smaller part time clubs than they are now?? As above there is no way the RFL can offer a league containing TWP, TO and Ottawa, so what price a league with skint clubs and one overseas club with money that just walks it making the whole competition a non-competition from about the third week, as we see now?

I think these are the stark realities of this non-story.......

Edited by The Parksider

23 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, that would be interesting, but we should also remember our newer members in London, Coventry etc. and in the future hopefully Ottowa. 

Plenty of interesting stories to tell I'm sure.

You mean like if some bloke, maybe a journalist, walked from Hull to Widnes telling the story of RL along the way?

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Those stark realities you mention Parksider are just conjecture not reality, there's a difference.  You may be right about what will happen to Toronto & Ottawa but how close are you to people like Elstone & Perez to know their thoughts that you can be so sure.

I'm not sure where you get £18 million pounds from, I thought the Champioship clubs were getting £300k a year which comes out as £4.2 million a year.

The Doomsday scenario you mention may well happen but at the moment income for 2nd tier rugby league has been increasing over time and has never been higher - the fans look to be enjoying it with 15k to 20k a week turning up, more than I can ever remember for that level and many 'traditional' clubs like York are thriving along with the overseas clubs.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, themainbrace said:

Those stark realities you mention Parksider are just conjecture not reality, there's a difference.  You may be right about what will happen to Toronto & Ottawa but how close are you to people like Elstone & Perez to know their thoughts that you can be so sure.

I'm not sure where you get £18 million pounds from, I thought the Champioship clubs were getting £300k a year which comes out as £4.2 million a year.

The Doomsday scenario you mention may well happen but at the moment income for 2nd tier rugby league has been increasing over time and has never been higher - the fans look to be enjoying it with 15k to 20k a week turning up, more than I can ever remember for that level and many 'traditional' clubs like York are thriving along with the overseas clubs.

Parksider "conveniently" omitted to mention that £18m is over the lifetime of the current TV, around £4.2m per year is right. 

Channel 4 had revenues of just under £1billion last year, so £4.2m for 30 weeks of coverage is not an illogical figure.

Many people don't realise Channel 4 is publically owned with it's own charter, kind of like the BBC but with advertising. Part of that charter is "to deliver high-quality, innovative, alternative content that challenges the status quo". I can see how weekly broadcasting of a RL league competition is compatible with that as no other national terrestrial channel has done it since the 1970's.

Sadly I doubt they will get Francis Rossi to do the commentary though.

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, themainbrace said:

Parky's also wrong that Ottawa "aren't joining"- the Shaw article mentions they were present for discussions about this and the hurdle in question they need to clear means they could join in 2020 or wait until 2021. They're coming in, just a question of when. New York was told to reapply for admission for the 2021 season when they've gotten financing issues sorted out. 

I doubt Argyle would just drop it if SL, for some lunatic reason, rejected his team. The whole point of this thread is how Channel 4 might pick up the Championship. Argyle would stay in the league, knowing in all likelihood very shortly he'd be joined by Ottawa and New York. Just a bit of wishcasting on Parky's part seeing as his "Argyle is going to close Toronto and buy a UK team" line hasn't panned out. 

Edited by Onieda FC

17 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

But they are generally short, limited runs, not 29 week, multi-season series.

The world isnt suddenly going to bend to our will. We need to ensure our offering is attractive.

Just clarify what I mean here, there probably is space for an RL raw style programme and if C4 are interested that's what it's likely to be, a more social, documentary, highlights programme. But RL raw wasnt a game changer and bbc2 gets better ratings than C4 and it was by no means any sort of 'saviour of the game'. 

Getting this kind of deal would obviously be an opportunity but if the championship doesnt change and professionalise then it wont realise the benefits. 

The benefits are endless, even a bigger salary cap for Championship than SL could be on the cards. All down to funding to increase professionalism. C4 would probably look outside the box, instead of having a broadcaster who is stuck in it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I am not dismissing sponsorship, but we need to break away from the Sky monopoly, we need more than "The Super League Show" on BBC2 at midnight on a Monday/ 1300 on a Tuesday. We need highlights at a time when the working person can see them, 1900 on a Tuesday maybe, early enough so kids due for school on Wednesday can see it, and late enough for the adults to return home from work. At the moment the BBC are pitching the highlights programme at the unemployed, those who stay up late up north, and those with a Sky record box. 

I'm not sure how much influence Adam Hills has in this, but if he can help get RL on C4, so be it.

Couldn't agree more. But many on here said! The lower tiers would never get a TV deal,one step at a time. The future looks brighter already.

On 16/07/2019 at 22:31, scotchy1 said:

If great train rides of the world with some old Tory holds them in thrall it would only be a step up for them.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

The benefits are endless, even a bigger salary cap for Championship than SL could be on the cards. All down to funding to increase professionalism. C4 would probably look outside the box, instead of having a broadcaster who is stuck in it.

I'm not one to defend scotchy's views on the championship, but I don't think he's disputing the potential benefits.

Playing devils advocate what he's saying is that clubs ran on threadbare shoestrings out of amateur facilities won't be able to contribute or take advantage of any benefits of an FTA deal that likely won't be cash heavy. The prime area the championship has to professionalise is off field. How can a club without a dedicated marketing manager sell their home games? A big one is how can clubs without professional board level commercial staff leverage the FTA coverage to get improved high profile sponsorship deals? 

The benefits I agree are potentially huge in RL terms, but the question is which clubs would be ready to take advantage of them. There is serious doubt over whether a number of championship sides could. 

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

If great train rides of the world with some old Tory holds them in thrall it would only be a step up for them.

As ive said elsewhere, those types of programmes are generally a limited run of relatively few episodes. How much really do you think that type of programming is worth to a channel?