Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Channel 4 to broadcast the Championship?

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It wouldn't surprise me, and tbh, it doesn't need to be. 

I'd be very surprised if channels are suddenly very interested in investing money in covering the comp (although I would love to be wrong). I wouldn't be surprised if a channel would be happy to sign a deal allowing OurLeague to show games, and them to take a highlights show and maybe playoffs, Summer Bash and GF - that the RFL may assist in producing. 

That said, Premier managed to afford to cover these games, there is no reason to suggest C4 couldn't afford it, I suppose it is whether they want to spend that money, which brings us back to the last paragraph.

C4 arent going to put on regular RL with the broadcast values of premier.

It's a crazy situation but not all championship grounds have the facility for a proper OB to allow a broadcaster to broadcast with the level of quality C4 would want.

But, as has been said, I highly doubt there will be regular live broadcasts anyway

Edited by scotchy1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Not "crystal clear" at all mate. Any such "starting point" coming in next season will be very close to it's own finishing point when the SKY deal runs out after that.

I don't think you can look at these things in isolation, and assume this current Championship set up of 25 clubs will just run and run as it is. Superleague have already tried to take control of eight championship clubs so as to be able to form an SL1 and an SL2. of 10 clubs each. Bulls boss Chalmers tried to stop this and did so with a vote against it from the championship clubs who were scared they'd be one of the seventeen clubs to be cut adrift. 

But Superleague have now come back with the idea that any future Superleague club must run an "A" team, and run it properly - no joint "A" teams, no random fixtures, full set of home and away fixtures. Most SL clubs have simply committed to this but it's very important to note a good number of Championship clubs wanting in, and committing reserves themselves. Newcastle are said to be keen to align with Superleague, no doubt Toulouse will run reserves as well, Halifax are in, and Bradford and Widnes have to be in or as I understand it they lose their academy funding.

Add to that say Leigh, York and Featherstone and surprise surprise you have 20 clubs running Reserves in a superleague led system to meet the criteria Superleague have set for entry to their competition. I'm not dreaming up a "conspiracy theory" I'm merely pointing out how Elstone and the SL club chairman many of whom could not give a fig about "Reserves" have suddenly got enough clubs in their camp to resurrect the 2x10 idea. Add to that the way this requirement stuffs Toronto and Ottawa as future SL clubs (whom Superleague do not want) and it all makes a rather brilliant move on their part to put an end to the Championship opposition and the failed American dream.

Smart work, and a great political coup d'etat.

Apologies if this dismisses your idea of a league providing "fresh and exciting excellent viewing" But Superleague will in no way allow their SKY paymasters to be compromised by the production of an alternative English Rugby League competition to compete for viewers with SKY. This smart move retains exclusivity for SKY and breaks in half Chalmers support group "tail" that had the cheek to wag the dog over SL1 & SL2.......Run that vote again and  SL will have it in the bag.

Sorry, but it is absolutely crystal clear I'm afraid.  If the Championship and League 1 clubs are faced with the possibility of having all their TV funding removed in the very near future then they must act now and prepare.  That is what they're doing by exploring broadcast opportunities.  That is the reality. That is exactly what is happening now in the real world, mate.


Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Konkrete said:

Sorry, but it is absolutely crystal clear I'm afraid.  If the Championship and League 1 clubs are faced with the possibility of having all their TV funding removed in the very near future then they must act now and prepare.  That is what they're doing by exploring broadcast opportunities.  That is the reality. That is exactly what is happening now in the real world, mate.

It's your own fault for mentioning the T or N.A words😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of me would quite like us to do something different. Live sport is everywhere these days and I’m not sure we’d suddenly gain a range of new followers based solely off a live game each week. I would quite like to see a “fly on the wall” type dock-series from pre-season all the way through the year, a bit like the NFL Hard Knocks series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Part of me would quite like us to do something different. Live sport is everywhere these days and I’m not sure we’d suddenly gain a range of new followers based solely off a live game each week. I would quite like to see a “fly on the wall” type dock-series from pre-season all the way through the year, a bit like the NFL Hard Knocks series. 

Are you kidding? See page 1, suggested similar, doing an access all areas kind of thing and got accused of being patronising!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few odd comments being flung about on here..

Toronto's games are all on tv (most) and Bradford did a similar thing on live feed.

Premier also covered champ games.

Sky shared pictures for F1 and the cricket so could this tie up be the Same?

Championship on C4 would actually advertise RL for sky tv.

Like Sky sponsoring the cycling when the tour de France is on terrestrial.

As for the grounds not being upto it most of the teams in the championship have been in SL or share with union or football who's games are televised.

It's totally plausible and would be a good thing.

Back in the day they televised Gaelic football Aussie rules and kabadi!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dave T said:

Are you kidding? See page 1, suggested similar, doing an access all areas kind of thing and got accused of being patronising!!!

Anyone that has seen Sunderland till I die on Netflix will watch a sad parody of the Man City documentary that's on Prime. It works well as entertainment because Sunderland were a basket case. It does nothing for football.

So what do Channel 4 do with Championship RL versus Sky SL?

I hope they have the strength of their convictions and let championship RL stand up on its own and not fall into the trap of clichés, otherwise we get Kez chasing an egg to a brass band backdrop and geezers on spice saying they've never heard of Oldham RLFC or where Batley was.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ackroman said:

Anyone that has seen Sunderland till I die on Netflix will watch a sad parody of the Man City documentary that's on Prime. It works well as entertainment because Sunderland were a basket case. It does nothing for football.

So what do Channel 4 do with Championship RL versus Sky SL?

I hope they have the strength of their convictions and let championship RL stand up on its own and not fall into the trap of clichés, otherwise we get Kez chasing an egg to a brass band backdrop and geezers on spice saying they've never heard of Oldham RLFC or where Batley was.

Yiu have a low view of RL fans and the places they live. I highlighted earlier in the thread some of the great stories.

I suggest we just dont hire you or scotchy as producer and it will be fine.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yiu have a low view of RL fans and the places they live. I highlighted earlier in the thread some of the great stories.

I suggest we just dont hire you or scotchy as producer and it will be fine.

Thank god you did, what on earth would we do without your altruism 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yiu have a low view of RL fans and the places they live. I highlighted earlier in the thread some of the great stories.

I suggest we just dont hire you or scotchy as producer and it will be fine.

You got the wrong end of the stick there. I have a low opinion of TV producers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Thank god you did, what on earth would we do without your altruism 

Well somebody has to balance out your hatred for the lower divisions, clubs and fans.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ackroman said:

You got the wrong end of the stick there. I have a low opinion of TV producers.

Why because one did a documentary about a struggling team and the community?

There are plenty of sports documentaries that are not like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/07/2019 at 16:37, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Part of me would quite like us to do something different. Live sport is everywhere these days and I’m not sure we’d suddenly gain a range of new followers based solely off a live game each week. I would quite like to see a “fly on the wall” type dock-series from pre-season all the way through the year, a bit like the NFL Hard Knocks series. 

Or that NRL thing where they have to compete for a contract 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/07/2019 at 17:40, yipyee said:

Few odd comments being flung about on here..

Toronto's games are all on tv (most) and Bradford did a similar thing on live feed.

Premier also covered champ games.

Sky shared pictures for F1 and the cricket so could this tie up be the Same?

Championship on C4 would actually advertise RL for sky tv.

Like Sky sponsoring the cycling when the tour de France is on terrestrial.

As for the grounds not being upto it most of the teams in the championship have been in SL or share with union or football who's games are televised.

It's totally plausible and would be a good thing.

Back in the day they televised Gaelic football Aussie rules and kabadi!

 

Loved kabadi...... And the sumo they did.... The latter reminded me of the old five nations 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Well somebody has to balance out your hatred for the lower divisions, clubs and fans.

It really is God's work you are doing

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Why because one did a documentary about a struggling team and the community?

There are plenty of sports documentaries that are not like that. 

No because they twist the truth for entertainment I have experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/07/2019 at 21:33, deluded pom? said:

Just reading LE and it’s stated that Sky and the BBC are believed to be the other two interested companies.

BBC ? - Seems hard to believe, they have been getting out of Sport for years.

Sky - Had the rights and did Jack $#!% with it, until Toronto came along. Could have new legs if they go for a dedicated Rugby Channel with RU & RL, plenty of space for NRL and Champ's if so.

C4 seem like a better bet if you want "free to air". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/07/2019 at 11:34, GUBRATS said:

The Championship to be on C4 ?

Calm down, it's just wishful thinking. Mr. Rimmer has merely enquired (based on  Channel 4 moving to Leeds) if C4 want to pay money to televise championship RL in some way. It was not a big contract for televising games weekly (which would cost Channel 4 £20,000 a game to produce) but as Phil Caplan states on Backchat, some sort of magazine programme with interviews and highlights. That’s all it was…….

On 19/07/2019 at 10:00, Smudger06 said:

I'm swaying towards the 2 x 10 SL  as the way forward come the next broadcast deal to be honest.  

As a start we are heading towards 2 x 10 Superleague reserves. We look nearly there. Two French clubs with reserves, current 11 English Superleague clubs with reserves and five Championship clubs apparently signed up I believe to be Newcastle, Leigh, Halifax and unless they have a death wish Bradford and Widnes.  

On 19/07/2019 at 12:24, Konkrete said:

Sorry, but it is absolutely crystal clear I'm afraid.  If the Championship and League 1 clubs are faced with the possibility of having all their TV funding removed in the very near future then they must act now and prepare.  That is what they're doing by exploring broadcast opportunities.  That is the reality. That is exactly what is happening now in the real world, mate.

If you want crystal clear listen to Phil Caplan on Backchat. There is no chance of a TV deal to screen the Championship as is, besides we already see top Championship clubs starting to align with Superleague through joining the reserves.

The reality was Superleague's plan to go to 20 clubs as per this reported last year:

SL could be CUT to 10 clubs and a second tier of the competition formed under controversial alternative plans for rugby league’s future. However, all central funding would go to those 20 clubs, meaning anyone outside them would have to find money themselves or wither and die”.

This is what Superleague tried to put in last year, and lost on a vote of all clubs. Now they are apparently trying to get it in by the back door of the reserves and possibly have 18 clubs on board already. No broadcaster will pay a penny for the current Championship and League One, in which so many of the clubs are set to see the end of their £18,000,000 SKY funding, and the loss of their best players to Superleague reserves.

This is what is Crystal Clear my friend.....This is the real world.......

Edited by The Parksider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

As a start we are heading towards 2 x 10 Superleague reserves. We look nearly there. Two French clubs with reserves, current 11 English Superleague clubs with reserves and five Championship clubs apparently signed up I believe to be Newcastle, Leigh, Halifax and unless they have a death wish Bradford and Widnes.  

The reality was Superleague's plan to go to 20 clubs as per this reported last year:

SL could be CUT to 10 clubs and a second tier of the competition formed under controversial alternative plans for rugby league’s future. However, all central funding would go to those 20 clubs, meaning anyone outside them would have to find money themselves or wither and die”.

This is what Superleague tried to put in last year, and lost on a vote of all clubs. Now they are apparently trying to get it in by the back door of the reserves and possibly have 18 clubs on board already. No broadcaster will pay a penny for the current Championship and League One, in which so many of the clubs are set to see the end of their £18,000,000 SKY funding, and the loss of their best players to Superleague reserves.

Do we assume a 2x10 structure allows a fully full-time second tier with televised matches?

If not, what’s the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Do we assume a 2x10 structure allows a fully full-time second tier with televised matches?

If not, what’s the point?

Yes. Definitely. 

13 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Calm down, it's just wishful thinking. Mr. Rimmer has merely enquired (based on  Channel 4 moving to Leeds) if C4 want to pay money to televise championship RL in some way. It was not a big contract for televising games weekly (which would cost Channel 4 £20,000 a game to produce) but as Phil Caplan states on Backchat, some sort of magazine programme with interviews and highlights. That’s all it was…….

As a start we are heading towards 2 x 10 Superleague reserves. We look nearly there. Two French clubs with reserves, current 11 English Superleague clubs with reserves and five Championship clubs apparently signed up I believe to be Newcastle, Leigh, Halifax and unless they have a death wish Bradford and Widnes.  

If you want crystal clear listen to Phil Caplan on Backchat. There is no chance of a TV deal to screen the Championship as is, besides we already see top Championship clubs starting to align with Superleague through joining the reserves.

The reality was Superleague's plan to go to 20 clubs as per this reported last year:

SL could be CUT to 10 clubs and a second tier of the competition formed under controversial alternative plans for rugby league’s future. However, all central funding would go to those 20 clubs, meaning anyone outside them would have to find money themselves or wither and die”.

This is what Superleague tried to put in last year, and lost on a vote of all clubs. Now they are apparently trying to get it in by the back door of the reserves and possibly have 18 clubs on board already. No broadcaster will pay a penny for the current Championship and League One, in which so many of the clubs are set to see the end of their £18,000,000 SKY funding, and the loss of their best players to Superleague reserves.

This is what is Crystal Clear my friend.....This is the real world.......

Final 2 slots going to Featherstone Rovers & York City Knights! As you've mentioned on earlier posts regarding this subject.

C4 to broadcast a SL2 game of the round live 5.30pm KO Sundays. £20k cost a game, I'd reckon £50k myself, which is still pocket change for Channel Four Broadcasting Corporation. 

2 x 10 SL would be 1 up 1 down P&R whilst the reserves would be 2 x 10 East / West with winners from each meeting each other at seasons end. 

Unfortunately all this means the end of the road for 17 current clubs.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Yes. Definitely. 

Final 2 slots going to Featherstone Rovers & York City Knights! As you've mentioned on earlier posts regarding this subject.

C4 to broadcast a SL2 game of the round live 5.30pm KO Sundays. £20k cost a game, I'd reckon £50k myself, which is still pocket change for Channel Four Broadcasting Corporation. 

2 x 10 SL would be 1 up 1 down P&R whilst the reserves would be 2 x 10 East / West with winners from each meeting each other at seasons end. 

Unfortunately all this means the end of the road for 17 current clubs.....

Fork in the road. Not necessarily the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This clearly has legs because Rimmer has reportedly sent a very huffy letter to Championship chairmen stressing the need for discretion and not leak things to the media about the C4 negotiations. 

The letter has been published in full in League Weekly (!!!).

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/07/2019 at 18:27, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Or that NRL thing where they have to compete for a contract 

lasted for 1 season and hasnt been back.. was an ok show but no one really did anything from it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RP London said:

lasted for 1 season and hasnt been back.. was an ok show but no one really did anything from it

A shame, the boxing one was good

Does anyone show the NRL magazine shows in the UK? Thinking of getting the NRL app for the summer but would prefer it to be on the telly rather than a phone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...