England Performance squad. Austin selected.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Nice of them to let us know who the other players selected are. England aren't scheduled to play anyway so why have they got a performance squad?

I think the whole point of it was to continue these so that players can be assessed how they fit if, how they are improving with goals they’ve been set etc etc etc.

McNamara was doing it but seems it only started after the WC in this form.

Good to continue it and it was widely reported that Austin was going to be considered on form, which for the most part has been electric.

Kevin Sinfield's comments are interesting suggesting some players have stuck their hands up for GB but not happy to commit beyond that.. I hope the call has been made that that is key.

12 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

England aren't scheduled to play anyway so why have they got a performance squad?

It's a get together - to build team cohesion; rather than for training for a specific match/tournament. A very sensible concept - long may it continue.

26 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Nice of them to let us know who the other players selected are. England aren't scheduled to play anyway so why have they got a performance squad?

To test the water for when he does get picked and plays for GB. 

25 minutes ago, RP London said:

Kevin Sinfield's comments are interesting suggesting some players have stuck their hands up for GB but not happy to commit beyond that.. I hope the call has been made that that is key.

Why is it key players like Lachlan Coote are Scottish internationals. Why should England be able to use playing for GB as a lever to make him play for England. Yet we wonder why the other home nations weren’t keen on bringing back GB. 

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Why is it key players like Lachlan Coote are Scottish internationals. Why should England be able to use playing for GB as a lever to make him play for England. Yet we wonder why the other home nations weren’t keen on bringing back GB. 

Thats not what is happening though.. he doesnt qualify for anyone else so he has to qualify for England or no one.. Its about commitment post GB.. if he was able to play for Wales and he said "i want to play for Wales post GB" great but in this instance its England we are talking about because it is England he qualifies for and who Sinfield represents outside of the GB set up. Lachlan Coote has indeed already stuck his hand up for Scotland which is fine, as it would be for anyone else but in this case with this person it is England. 

10 minutes ago, RP London said:

Thats not what is happening though.. he doesnt qualify for anyone else so he has to qualify for England or no one.. Its about commitment post GB.. if he was able to play for Wales and he said "i want to play for Wales post GB" great but in this instance its England we are talking about because it is England he qualifies for and who Sinfield represents outside of the GB set up. Lachlan Coote has indeed already stuck his hand up for Scotland which is fine, as it would be for anyone else but in this case with this person it is England. 

Apologies I’ve just reread Sinfields quote and got it wrong first time. I thought he was slating other players for not committing to England. When he was actually saying it shows Austin’s commitment because there’s no going back for him. 

10 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Apologies I’ve just reread Sinfields quote and got it wrong first time. I thought he was slating other players for not committing to England. When he was actually saying it shows Austin’s commitment because there’s no going back for him. 

ah i see what you mean.. yes if that was the case i would have 100% agreed with you. 

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Very happy to see him in the squad.... Hastings should be the too

I’ve not problem with either being in as long as they are fully committed. The Kiwis will without doubt go after them and they will test out just how committed these players are to their new nation. Which will pale into nothing compared to the treatment they’ll get off the Aussies if they ever go on to face them. 

16 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Has Hastings said he wants to play for England?  If not he cannot be in the squad.  

If players are qualified then they should be in the squad as and when they are considered good enough.   In terms of being good enough - Warrington (with  Austin) lost their last home game against Salford (and Hastings).  But at moment Hastings is not available is he?  I'd like him to be, because then we really do have an embarrassing wealth of riches.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Has Hastings said he wants to play for England?  If not he cannot be in the squad.  

If players are qualified then they should be in the squad as and when they are considered good enough.   In terms of being good enough - Warrington (with  Austin) lost their last home game against Salford (and Hastings).  But at moment Hastings is not available is he?  I'd like him to be, because then we really do have an embarrassing wealth of riches.

For me, Hastings is the better half back but he might have not even been considered.  We don’t know.  Austin in a firing Wire side has been tremendous albeit not so when they’ve been up against it.

IMO WB wants a player that suits what WB wants to do.  

Just now, Lowdesert said:

For me, Hastings is the better half back but he might have not even been considered.  We don’t know.  Austin in a firing Wire side has been tremendous albeit not so when they’ve been up against it.

IMO WB wants a player that suits what WB wants to do.  

All in agreement.  Coach has to pick his team acording to how he wants it to play.   I simply ask has Hastings said he is available for selection?  I have not heard that he is.

49 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Well, reading between the lines of Sinfield's comments, is Jackson Hastings one of those who offered to play for GB but doesn't want to commit beyond that

I mean, Sinfield must be referring to someone. Who else could it be?

26 minutes ago, Damien said:

If that was true he'd still be in the NRL.

I don't think it is as straight forward as that.  In this interview Austin made it clear that he had received contract offers from Canberra and Parramatta to stay in the NRL but seeing England and a different lifestyle was a key part of his decision to move to Warrington.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/46963309

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

He’s not giving up much career wise though is he? He was nowhere near pulling on a Kangaroos shirt and is even further away from one by playing SL.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think it is as straight forward as that.  In this interview Austin made it clear that he had received contract offers from Canberra and Parramatta to stay in the NRL but seeing England and a different lifestyle was a key part of his decision to move to Warrington.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/46963309

He's hardly going to say much different is he? It's the standard import interview. It's a fact that decent halfs in Australia can get multiples of what they can in Super League. He's played for predominantly bottom half of the table NRL teams and never represented NSW or Australia. He wasn't wanted by any of the better club's when his contract at Canberra was coming to an end. There is a reason for all this.

Archived