England Performance squad. Austin selected.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

For me, Hastings is the better half back but he might have not even been considered.  We don’t know.  Austin in a firing Wire side has been tremendous albeit not so when they’ve been up against it.

IMO WB wants a player that suits what WB wants to do.  

I don't think that is true at all. He has been the difference in many tough games - but like Hastings, cant always carry the team when the team are playing poorly.

He has a poor halfback partner and no fullback at the moment too.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

He’s not giving up much career wise though is he? He was nowhere near pulling on a Kangaroos shirt and is even further away from one by playing SL.

True . And Austin is 28 and Hastings 23 and eyeing going back down under , so he’s got more to way up 

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

He's hardly going to say much different is he? It's the standard import interview. It's a fact that decent halfs in Australia can get multiples of what they can in Super League. He's played for predominantly bottom half of the table NRL teams and never represented NSW or Australia. He wasn't wanted by any of the better club's when his contract at Canberra was coming to an end. There is a reason for all this.

I was pointing out that he did have the choice of staying in the NRL... unless we think the offer of a contract at Paramatta (and a new contract at Canberra) were lies.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I don't think that is true at all. He has been the difference in many tough games - but like Hastings, cant always carry the team when the team are playing poorly.

He has a poor halfback partner and no fullback at the moment too.

Maybe, I’ve only seen him play 3 or 4 games this year.  On the carrying the team thing Hastings seems stronger to me but I think your point is fair to say of any half back.  They’re 2 completely different styles imo and good leaders.

I would have Hastings over Austin but very little between them.  The question will be whether Widdop ever gets back on the scene.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Has Hastings said he wants to play for England?  If not he cannot be in the squad.  

If players are qualified then they should be in the squad as and when they are considered good enough.   In terms of being good enough - Warrington (with  Austin) lost their last home game against Salford (and Hastings).  But at moment Hastings is not available is he?  I'd like him to be, because then we really do have an embarrassing wealth of riches.

Not sure if he has said. Vaguely think he qualifies though... Coote too or am I making that up.... Chuck in Roby, our pack and the Golden Boot winner and we'll.... 

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Maybe, I’ve only seen him play 3 or 4 games this year.  On the carrying the team thing Hastings seems stronger to me but I think your point is fair to say of any half back.  They’re 2 completely different styles imo and good leaders.

I would have Hastings over Austin but very little between them.  The question will be whether Widdop ever gets back on the scene.

It'll be very interesting to see Hastings next year in a stronger team. And hopefully Widdopp will be fit enough to partner Austin at Wire. They could both go even better next year.

4 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well, reading between the lines of Sinfield's comments, is Jackson Hastings one of those who offered to play for GB but doesn't want to commit beyond that

I mean, Sinfield must be referring to someone. Who else could it be?

I think you’ve made the mistake I did. He isn’t saying anyone’s refusing to commit rather because Austin only qualifies via England (a tier 1 nation). That’s him done he can’t play for any other their tier 1 team. Whereas the likes of Coote who qualifies via Scotland could still go on and play Origin or for the Aussies. Not that that’s likely but that’s the point he’s making. 

7 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Nice of them to let us know who the other players selected are. England aren't scheduled to play anyway so why have they got a performance squad?

Because if they call it a GB performance squad they will lose their Sport England funding. It is 100 days to the GB tour and they haven't even named an extended development squad. The GB concept was a complete joke and not thought through for a second.

FFS sport England  funding has sod all to do with anything..never has..

And England have a performance squad because it's good to get them all together and we have a world 9s to prep for

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think it is as straight forward as that.  In this interview Austin made it clear that he had received contract offers from Canberra and Parramatta to stay in the NRL but seeing England and a different lifestyle was a key part of his decision to move to Warrington.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/46963309

Most of the comments from readers in the article below accurately some up what happened to Blake Austin in the NRL IMO.

He tested the market was made an offer, dithered, offer was too much anyway and was reconsidered by Canberra who had moved on.

Offered a cheap deal with Parramatta.

Took Warringtons offer before his worth declined significantly in the NRL

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/canberra-playmaker-blake-austin-signs-deal-to-play-in-english-super-league-with-warrington-wolves/news-story/91e37f61e5dff860a1f8689497f11eab

"

David

1 year ago

Raiders offered Blake 700+K a season, which HE knocked back to test his value on the open market. By the time they were asked to table another offer, re signings of others meant he wasnt offered the same amount as previous. Unless your one of the BIG four clubs, there are restrictions due to the cap.Blake will win the "Man of Steel" over there, so get on early.
thumb_up
Replyreply

flag
Brando

1 year ago

Not one club in the NRL was interested and he has been on the market for ages, Eels threw him a cheap life line that no one would take.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

11 minutes ago, Allora said:

Most of the comments from readers in the article below accurately some up what happened to Blake Austin in the NRL IMO.

He tested the market was made an offer, dithered, offer was too much anyway and was reconsidered by Canberra who had moved on.

Offered a cheap deal with Parramatta.

Took Warringtons offer before his worth declined significantly in the NRL

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/canberra-playmaker-blake-austin-signs-deal-to-play-in-english-super-league-with-warrington-wolves/news-story/91e37f61e5dff860a1f8689497f11eab

"

David

1 year ago

Raiders offered Blake 700+K a season, which HE knocked back to test his value on the open market. By the time they were asked to table another offer, re signings of others meant he wasnt offered the same amount as previous. Unless your one of the BIG four clubs, there are restrictions due to the cap.Blake will win the "Man of Steel" over there, so get on early.
thumb_up
Replyreply

flag
Brando

1 year ago

Not one club in the NRL was interested and he has been on the market for ages, Eels threw him a cheap life line that no one would take.

I hope 'David' in the comments lumped on his MoS prediction! 

But yeah, that's pretty much how I remember it went down too, regards his departure at the Raiders. 

In relation to him playing for England I have no problem with it. I've written before that since being over here he's embraced the English way of life and doing some great work in the community (nothing to do with club obligations) off his own back. He is an Australian but he does seem really proud of his English heritage. I do also think the fact he's playing over here for the foreseeable makes it completely different to the Chris McQueen/Chris Heighington situation, which did very much feel like a couple of blokes were dragged up who had heritage. If what we're hearing is true, Austin had to put his hand up to play - nobody asked him and I think that's important. 

10 hours ago, Scubby said:

Because if they call it a GB performance squad they will lose their Sport England funding. It is 100 days to the GB tour and they haven't even named an extended development squad. The GB concept was a complete joke and not thought through for a second.

Is there any GB sports funding? I do not read about all this but has there not been some netball on the news (?) And was that GB?

But yes indeed, it's daft if we are forced into having to to play as England just because of these technicalities - and if so then (sadly) pointless to play as GB. Sad because for me, my country is the UK of GB. I do not expect many Aussies to be pressed into playing for half a nation.

13 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Is there any GB sports funding? I do not read about all this but has there not been some netball on the news (?) And was that GB?

But yes indeed, it's daft if we are forced into having to to play as England just because of these technicalities - and if so then (sadly) pointless to play as GB. Sad because for me, my country is the UK of GB. I do not expect many Aussies to be pressed into playing for half a nation.

netball world cup is not GB. England have played Scotland and Northern Ireland were in one of the other groups. 

Some sports are GB but are also linked with BOA funding for olympic cycles. When we played as GB if the game had grown I would guess it would be unlikely we could step backwards, I would assume the likes of Basketball and Ice Hockey wouldnt be able to split up as the international federations would say no.

I am ambivalent to GB.. but its an all or nothing for me, the play as GB but then split into the home nations for world cups etc I thought was daft.. if we are going to be england then fine, if we are going to be GB then fine.. if we are going to have a union style lions then fine but this tour is a joke due to its organisation rather than anything else IMO

As an aside I am English before I am British. its also the UK of GB&NI which is forgotten in all of this too, but that is an aside but IMHO a very important one that needs solving before we do anything with GB going forward (as a man with a NI wife and 2 kids who heavily identify with their irish and british/english/yorkshire roots)

5 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

They already do. NSW and Queensland.

5 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

They already do. NSW and Queensland.

That is a third of a Nation

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived