England Performance squad. Austin selected.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People generally aren't that bothered, they get that this is modern sport. I don't think we should cut off our nose to spite our face. I am happy with a principle of needing some form of commitment from players, but that has to be down to the managers. 

As I have said in another thread, the wider public are not that bothered but I am.

I started to follow Great Britain/England Rugby League in 1984 and it is now 2019 and I am still desperately waiting for us to beat Australia in a series or a tournament final. 

The longer the wait, the sweeter the feeling when we do it (if I am still around!)

But I have to say that this feeling would be massively soured for me personally if that victory came with an Australian playing at full back, stand off and scrum half.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As I have said in another thread, the wider public are not that bothered but I am.

I started to follow Great Britain/England Rugby League in 1984 and it is now 2019 and I am still desperately waiting for us to beat Australia in a series or a tournament final. 

The longer the wait, the sweeter the feeling when we do it (if I am still around!)

But I have to say that this feeling would be massively soured for me personally if that victory came with an Australian playing at full back, stand off and scrum half.

Aye, and I cover that with my first paragraph that people will have their own tolerance level for this kind of thing and I won't criticise people for that.

It is where people use the reason of how it will look to others that I was challenging.

Personally I'm not a fan of selecting people from the NRL who have never played over here qualifying due to grandparents for example. Thankfully we haven't gone down that route so much yet, but it's not one I would like to see. I don't have an issue with people who play in our comp and having some form of commitment to the English game playing for Eng.

Just now, Dave T said:

Aye, and I cover that with my first paragraph that people will have their own tolerance level for this kind of thing and I won't criticise people for that.

It is where people use the reason of how it will look to others that I was challenging.

Personally I'm not a fan of selecting people from the NRL who have never played over here qualifying due to grandparents for example. Thankfully we haven't gone down that route so much yet, but it's not one I would like to see. I don't have an issue with people who play in our comp and having some form of commitment to the English game playing for Eng.

I agree, we should not care about public perception as the wider public just want to see England win at sport as the recent victories show... I have been talking cricket with people in the office who never watched a game before and couldn't name a single player never mind where they were born/grew up.

These are all personal feelings and to be clear, I wasn't challenging your thinking.  I guess I was using your quote as an opportunity to express my feelings.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Couldn't be bothered reading all the thread it does not interest me that much, but I cannot help fast forwarding in my thoughts to the WC in '21 and considering we may have Coote, Austin and Hastings in our National team, yipee how 'king dreary, I would take no pleasure whatsoever if we were victorious in that comp if we have to stoop so low to employ these people to represent us, the message we would be sending out loud and clear would be "We cannot produce player's on our shores good enough to represent their country"

why would we have Coote, he plays for Scotland and has done with distinction.. would he really swap?

10 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

It was at St George's park cos it is a world class facility...and Wayne Bennett decided not to use it

Yes, how the hell do you think RFL/England could afford this stuff normally? It was part of the Sport England Elite performance money! Do the maths between securing the Sport England funding and the training camps set up by Steve McNamara et al. Sport England funds all levels of a game's performance - including elite level. We cannot use this money for GB stuff - hence why we are ignoring the GB stuff (and pretending it doesn't exist). It is Sport England (for England). 

24 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

He doesn’t need to swap. Scottish internationals qualify for GB & I.

To be fair to RP, he was answering my suggestion that Coote could be playing for England in the World cup, many others have played for tier 2 or 3 countries then swapped allegiance to tier 1, and indeed it has happened in the opposite direction.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

To be fair to RP, he was answering my suggestion that Coote could be playing for England in the World cup, many others have played for tier 2 or 3 countries then swapped allegiance to tier 1, and indeed it has happened in the opposite direction.

Apologies to RP. Would Coote be eligible for England? Obviously his heritage is Scottish but I don’t know if he has an English grandparent or parent/s.

rldfsignature.jpg

43 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Apologies to RP. Would Coote be eligible for England? Obviously his heritage is Scottish but I don’t know if he has an English grandparent or parent/s.

Maybe he has had a few Full English Breakfast's, so that should be sufficient.

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

no i understand he could and others have but I just question whether he would, he gets to play for GB and then back to scotland etc, is that not what all this fuss over GB is about, so that people wont swap and will keep playin tier 2-3?  if that isnt going to happen then what on earth is this whole GB thing for except a sodding shirt which England should have just kept anyway!

(he wont be eligible by residency so not sure if he qualifies anyway)

On 17/07/2019 at 11:41, Scubby said:

Yes, how the hell do you think RFL/England could afford this stuff normally? It was part of the Sport England Elite performance money! Do the maths between securing the Sport England funding and the training camps set up by Steve McNamara et al. Sport England funds all levels of a game's performance - including elite level. We cannot use this money for GB stuff - hence why we are ignoring the GB stuff (and pretending it doesn't exist). It is Sport England (for England). 

Another reason why playing as Great Britain is ridiculous. When Sports England decide on the next round of funding, the fact England won’t play a single game in 2019 will surely count against us, and we will lose out financially. What benefits are there playing under the GB name?

On 16/07/2019 at 12:25, Rupert Prince said:

Yes all fair enough... But.

How well would Hastings be at in the Saints team.  Conversly how difficult would it be for Hasings to look good if Salford were regularly missing say 6 forwards most of the season. (eg. Wigan are likely to have 3 acadamey players in tbeir pack this week).

How does a player shine of in a relatively poor team?   There should be other objective criteria to judge a players merits.

I might add that the choir always sings well when I am not in it.

Lomax has already proved he can play at test level, Austin hasn’t.

He’s had chance to shine against his main competitors this year like Lomax and Williams and hadn’t really stepped up (especially against Lomax).

Austin is in the squad but on performance and past proven ability to play at international level he’s some way down the  pecking order.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

6 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Lomax has already proved he can play at test level, Austin hasn’t.

He’s had chance to shine against his main competitors this year like Lomax and Williams and hadn’t really stepped up (especially against Lomax).

Austin is in the squad but on performance and past proven ability to play at international level he’s some way down the  pecking order.

The jury is still out on Lomax at test level. He has far from proven anything and offers absolutely no threat or pace at that level.

Archived