No TV for the Dracs?

Just now, Big Picture said:

So, SL with one French team and a bunch of northern English teams is evidently only worth 70,000 € a year to a French broadcaster.  I wonder if SL with two French teams and a bunch of northern English teams would be worth much more?

More like 400K including production costs for home games (20K per match). 

But, yeah, that's about what RL worth in France...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dave T said:

To be fair, we need to give Elstone time to see how this pans out, but this is bad news without knowing of any replacement deal.

We seem to be giving him time on a awful lot of things, what happened to 'hit the ground running'?

If it's all to be judged on the next TV contract it's looking like there will be a lot of disappointed people☹️

18 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

We seem to be giving him time on a awful lot of things, what happened to 'hit the ground running'?

If it's all to be judged on the next TV contract it's looking like there will be a lot of disappointed people☹️

Agree, the Elstone take over of SL backed by the SL Chairmen must have been around a year ago. What has changed much apart from copying the NRL on a few things? 

18 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Agree, the Elstone take over of SL backed by the SL Chairmen must have been around a year ago. What has changed much apart from copying the NRL on a few things? 

Well things have certainly livened up on the hospitality side :kolobok_ph34r: 

If the Dragons are not on Sky next year I will probably cancel my subscription. SL would do well to let Bein have the rights for free as long as they cover the costs of the broadcast. Sky are getting free content, SL get the glamour factor and the only really successful Expansion team in SL history doing well. 

I dont think we should be so desperate to give our tv rights away for free.

I'm not a fan of Elstone, but I have some sympathy with him on this one.

At some stage you have to cut out the freebies and start to demand market value. The problem is market value may prove to be zero, but we will see what comes.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm not sure the market value would ever be zero. Especially as we have two markets.

It seems crazy to me, and always has, that we dont screen all les Catalans games in both countries. It seems a bit backwards that french RL fan can watch all les Catalans home games either in person or on tv but are at the mercy of a foreign broadcaster for the away games they are much less likely to attend. 

If we cant find any broadcaster for Les Catalans games in france, could we sell them on a ppv bass or through a subs service for roughly a total of about £30k a week? Because according to the figures given that would cover broadcast/production and the amount we were getting from BeIn. 

If we cant get anybody to buy the rights, they are worthless.

Why doesn't SL pay to screen the games and then sell the coverage? 

Be about 3.6 mill to screen every game.

This gives fair coverage of video ref also

You could then go to countries broadcasters and get what you can across several countries.

Maybe even internet subscription or subscription to one club like the NFL

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Well we had some mone willing to pay something in BeIn we just valued them at more.

But even if no broadcaster will willing to pay a single penny(which isnt at all likely imo) then selling the rights to a broadcaster isnt the only way to monetise their value. 

£30k per game, is 3k people paying a tenner a pop. 

£120k per month is 12k people paying a tenner a month. Plus then you have advertising etc etc etc. 

Also we shouldn't assume they have no value to sky. 

I havent assumed anything. We will see if they are sold next year. I have urged people to be patient.

Why would 3-12k people a tenner a month for two Catalans games?

16 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

4 games

But because they are Les Catalans/RL fans 

Wouldnt you pay a tenner to watch les Catalans v Wire?

Wouldnt you pay a tenner every week if you were a les cats fan?

Well some Catalans away games already come under the existing TV contract.

Maybe, but I'm not sure a PPV model is that great.

Little update from league express. The Dragons and SL have meetings arranged over the next few weeks with French tv stations. It sounds like they are not too concerned about getting replacement coverage. Whether that means SL will get significant money from any of these stations is another thing altogether. 

It would be a milestone for RL if French tv started paying for coverage. 

9 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Little update from league express. The Dragons and SL have meetings arranged over the next few weeks with French tv stations. It sounds like they are not too concerned about getting replacement coverage. Whether that means SL will get significant money from any of these stations is another thing altogether. 

It would be a milestone for RL if French tv started paying for coverage. 

Did you notice Ian Lenagan’s comments about how Toulouse and Catalans in SL would be very attractive for a French broadcaster etc.....?

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Did you notice Ian Lenagan’s comments about how Toulouse and Catalans in SL would be very attractive for a French broadcaster etc.....?

Yeah I saw that one too. The SL clubs are very keen for TO to join SL but with promotion/relegation........

10 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

If the broadcaster says we'll pay broadcast rights only for two French teams do you think SL will accept the offer? 

If the money and, just as importantly, the contract length are right then yes they will and indeed should.

Add Toronto or AN Other to the mix and it's a 14 team SL with little or no cut in central funding to the existing English clubs.

26 regular rounds plus Magic weekend, one less home game than at present so just cut Easter down to one round over 4/5 days and televise a game day to keep Sky happy.

Tolouse & Catalans could play their Magic weekend game as a standalone somewhere in France/Spain, makes the weekend both more profitable and promotional for everyone.

8 hours ago, ojx said:

If Catalans aren't contributing to the TV money, shouldn't they be cut from Sky funding? They need to find their own income, just like Toronto would (if they get promoted)?

No. Catalans add to the overall vibrancy of the competition which is attractive for Sky to cover. If we replace them with a small club from the North that will be no more valuable.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

No. Catalans add to the overall vibrancy of the competition which is attractive for Sky to cover. If we replace them with a small club from the North that will be no more valuable.

I can't tell if they're not listening, don't understand or don't want to hear but they're not getting it, whatever it is.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 hours ago, ojx said:

If Catalans aren't contributing to the TV money, shouldn't they be cut from Sky funding? They need to find their own income, just like Toronto would (if they get promoted)?

??

Are you suggesting a SL club doesn't contribute to playing SL games?

Do Wigan or Leeds arrange a TV contract seperate to sky?

Why should they find their own tv deal when no one else does?

If they don't get Sky money and they make the final, can they tell sky they cant televise the GF as their tv rights are elsewhere? Like boxers who can't arrange fights due to conflicting tv deals!

What if Catalan get a TV deal equal to the sky one? They would then have 50% of the tv income with each other club getting 4.5% each

Archived