Video Referees: A potential solution

15 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Maybe, but if you look at the cricket, it is interesting that the blame for poor decisions in the last two games was put as much, if not more, on Bairstow and Guptill (who wasted previous reviews) as on the umpire who eventually made a poor decision. The ref should still be able to send the decision up blank if he genuinely didn't see the ball grounded or whether a foot brushed the touchline.

a lot of this is down to the commentators being calm about it too.. however, if england had lost after that awful decision to give Roy out in the semi i am not sure it would have been so calm a reaction 

15 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Maybe, but if you look at the cricket, it is interesting that the blame for poor decisions in the last two games was put as much, if not more, on Bairstow and Guptill (who wasted previous reviews) as on the umpire who eventually made a poor decision. The ref should still be able to send the decision up blank if he genuinely didn't see the ball grounded or whether a foot brushed the touchline.

I suppose I don't see what the benefit is of that system - the ref will still send plenty decisions up - so I suppose it goes back to my original question of what problem are we fixing?

It wouldn't fix appealing, that still happens in cricket.

If you are going down a challenge route, I think you need to go with that only, which is problematic, otherwise it is the current system really.

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Is there any reason for the VR to be different from any other official i.e touch judges etc?

How do you mean?. If you mean they watch the game and step in then as long as they have a well defined remit. I don’t see a problem with that. 

48 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

How do you mean?. If you mean they watch the game and step in then as long as they have a well defined remit. I don’t see a problem with that. 

its the way it works in RU.. they have a quite word with the ref and say something along the lines of "I have something you may want to have a look at" then chuck it on the big screen and its still up to the ref to make the final call. 

Archived