Bring back exiles game and war of the roses

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's do this AGAIN and quickly. Okay here goes....

'People west of the Pennines don't identify as being from Lancashire anymore....' 

'It would be a poor man's version of State of Origin' 

'Exiles didn't take off the first with arguably better imports....why would it now?' 

'GB won't exist again in 4 months' 

I'm paraphrasing obviously and I know there are plenty of people who support both concepts (including myself) but unless there's been a giant shift, the above is a fair representation (that have been rehashed many times) as to why it won't happen and/or be successful. 

8 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

Personally I would like to see GB v Exiles and Yorkshire v Lancashire brought back.

What does everyone think?

You won't get too much agreement with either of those concepts on here. We've done them to death numerous times before.

I quite liked the idea last time round but it was so generally poorly supported that it's hard to get excited about it.

Then they did the usual rugby league stuff like playing Lancashire-Yorkshire on a Tuesday night in a 2 match series.

The Exiles were a bunch of castoffs more than Exiles and they still got up as much as they lost.

It shone a light on the game in England that did not need to be turned on.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

'People west of the Pennines don't identify as being from Lancashire anymore....' 

Fair enough but people from Yorkshire still do. Make it a one off game in Yorkshire every year at a decent stadium with good transport links that would help with development.

No doubt it would be a cheap knock off or the Origin series but so what? I love the idea of the annual Roses game at Keepmoat, Doncaster ?

I remember in the 80's the "Rodstock Wars of the Roses"  and was quite keen. However when  Malcolm Reilly became GB coach and said he would not be influenced in his team selection on the basis of these games, they ceased to have any real significance as far as I was concerned.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

4 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Roses NO. 'Exiles' YES.

Appoint an Exiles coach by public vote. Then another public vote on 1 - 13 based on coach's selection of three for each position. Allow him to choose seven wildcards for a squad of twenty.

Make it a fan event.

Anyone for any more tacky gimmicks? Talk about the national team being devalued in playing in a Mickey Mouse event like that.

3 hours ago, Rhinoferg said:

Personally I would like to see GB v Exiles and Yorkshire v Lancashire brought back.

What does everyone think?

I enjoyed the Exiles... 2 game series and a France test should be very year

Could it be played Wednesday and allow clubs to decide whether they play people at the weekend... We have seen Origin players this week play 2 games in 48 hours and Jimmy Maloney looked good in the Panthers game (though his face didn't) 

Archived