Bring back exiles game and war of the roses

What about a mid season three team tournament involving Yorkshire, Lancashire, and France?

That would give France two matches against opponents that you'd imagine weren't quite so strong as England/GB, while also having one Roses match. I probably wouldn't bother with a final.

You could play France v Yorkshire at Catalan, and France v Lancashire at Toulouse, and then end with Lancashire v Yorkshire in the UK.

Or, if you wanted to expand the tournament and make it four teams so that nobody had a week off, you could maybe use the Exiles/Other nationalities, or you could invite a different smaller international team to take part each year - PNG, Wales, Samoa.

I think for the first year I'd keep the costs down and go with the three teams.

It's just a suggestion, so feel free to tell me that it's a hopeless idea and nobody in any of the three places would care about such matches.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

What about a mid season three team tournament involving Yorkshire, Lancashire, and France?

That would give France two matches against opponents that you'd imagine weren't quite so strong as England/GB, while also having one Roses match. I probably wouldn't bother with a final.

You could play France v Yorkshire at Catalan, and France v Lancashire at Toulouse, and then end with Lancashire v Yorkshire in the UK.

Or, if you wanted to expand the tournament and make it four teams so that nobody had a week off, you could maybe use the Exiles/Other nationalities, or you could invite a different smaller international team to take part each year - PNG, Wales, Samoa.

I think for the first year I'd keep the costs down and go with the three teams.

It's just a suggestion, so feel free to tell me that it's a hopeless idea and nobody in any of the three places would care about such matches.

Good idea

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a terrible idea. Does Lancashire even had any Rugby League clubs?

Yes ,Wigan ,St Helens, Warrington ,Widnes, Leigh Swinton , Rochdale and Salford , is that enough ?

Just now, 17 stone giant said:

Out of interest, do people from any of those places support Lancashire in cricket?

I'm just thinking that if they do in cricket, why not for rugby league?

Exactly , not interested in any new area's of governance , in 1895 when our sport began ,all those clubs were from and part of Lancashire ,it's where I live , that's all that matters 

8 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Out of interest, do people from any of those places support Lancashire in cricket?

I'm just thinking that if they do in cricket, why not for rugby league?

You mean the Lancashire cricket team that play in Manchester ? ,Which some people are suggesting isn't in Lancashire ?

12 hours ago, Rhinoferg said:

Personally I would like to see GB v Exiles and Yorkshire v Lancashire brought back.

What does everyone think?

Bore off...

The only game that makes sense is England v a combined Wales,Scots & Irish team

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I don’t see why Roses shouldn’t be brought back. Based on 1896 borders to appease any trivial detractors. Two game series, with an England v France test culminating in three Rep game weekends. 

Cant get on board with Exiles again though.

Please.No one EVER bring back 'The War of The Roses' - to top flight Rugby League. It is:-

1. Parochial

2. We are not the same demographic like Australia (it will never be a State of Origin equivalent).

3. If you're in favour of this, then you may as well confine our sport to the Room 101 'it's just a northern sport' category. Even I don't relate to the county thing. Im 37, and was neither born in Lancashire, or Yorkshire. Yet I'm a northerner. 

6 hours ago, The British Lion said:

The Exiles was a good concept at the time. As per usual, the RFL never saw it through. I think there's room for the Exiles in future international exhibition competition as the RFU do with the Barbarians.

You can say that again..........

14 hours ago, TBone said:

So would England be denied a fair swath of its first choice players or the clubs?

Clubs as you would want the strongest opposition possible against England . Plus would give England a chance to try out different players and combinations . Lets say top three teams are St Helens , Warrington and Hull fc. So Hull fc v England (England can pick from any team but Hull fc ) Warrington v England ( England can pick from any other team but Warrington ) St Helens v England ( England can pick from any other team but St Helens) . So the venues pick themselves a big crowd would be  achieved and England would have chance to blood players .

Chief Crazy Eagle

14 minutes ago, superten said:

Clubs as you would want the strongest opposition possible against England . Plus would give England a chance to try out different players and combinations . Lets say top three teams are St Helens , Warrington and Hull fc. So Hull fc v England (England can pick from any team but Hull fc ) Warrington v England ( England can pick from any other team but Warrington ) St Helens v England ( England can pick from any other team but St Helens) . So the venues pick themselves a big crowd would be  achieved and England would have chance to blood players .

so, lets take Saints for instance. would a Saints team without Roby, Walmsley, Thompson, Lomax, Makinson and Percival actually give an England team containing those players a game?

7 minutes ago, TBone said:

so, lets take Saints for instance. would a Saints team without Roby, Walmsley, Thompson, Lomax, Makinson and Percival actually give an England team containing those players a game?

if you LOOK and took time to read properly you would see that I said clubs would keep there players and England would pick players from any other team but St Helens .  

Chief Crazy Eagle

Bring back the International Origin Game, have a Bye Week prior to the GF and play it in that.

The bye allowing more time to sell out Old Trafford and for the teams to prepare for the big game.

Alternate Hosting between Bloomfield Road, Blackpool & Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster. Saturday 6pm KO each year.

Player Selections based on Official Fantasy League Points. Overseas Players forming Exiles. Players participating in the GF are ineligible.

Archived