Leigh next up

Batley Bob

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, I will not be attending this fixture, mainly because I will be watching the women's netball on tv. I might indulge in a little bottom-kissing at some point too! (I would add that there is no link between those two activities!)

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

Seems we have got our injuries all at once according to the press with Brearley Walker, Bretherton and Brambani Reittie still missing but Galbraith and Taria could be season ending injuries also Manning is missing one game due to suspension 

Get your boots out Tom.

11 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

It might be the wisest move seeing as Leigh have signed Higson, Mitch Clarke and Junior Sau on today. 

And this is the club that had to get rid of all of their full-time players at the end of last season due to a lack of funding. How soon will it be before DB decides, once more, that he can't afford his favourite hobby?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Tis ok jonny Mr decking beaumont, koucash and argyle are watts app buddies sharing daily banter about the pesky rfl. Or is that in 2020

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

51 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And this is the club that had to get rid of all of their full-time players at the end of last season due to a lack of funding. How soon will it be before DB decides, once more, that he can't afford his favourite hobby?

It is a joke and the buck stops with Rimmer IMHO. 

He leads the RFL that are ratifying all of these signings, together with the transfers between SL clubs and teams in the Championship, where players are batted back and forth between clubs with no money changing hands at the drop of a hat, to get around the number of loan and DR players allowed in a squad. 

There is also something very fishy going off between Rochdale and Swinton, Rochdale having given the fight up fairly early on, so released all of their better players to Swinton midway through the season, no mention of any money changing hands either. I find it amazing that teams like Swinton, Leigh, Sheffield and Barrow (just signed Paul Seguier from Catalan) who didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together 5 minutes since, seemingly have found money down the back of the sofa, to make these signings. I'm sure that it is entirely circumstantial and coincidental, that all of these clubs, were the same ones that voted with the SL teams on the issue of funding. But then again, I am a conspiracy theorist in some people's view. 

I am quickly falling out of love for the game, it has become a farce. I honestly believe it is either us or you joining Rochdale for the drop this season.

2 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

It is a joke and the buck stops with Rimmer IMHO. 

He leads the RFL that are ratifying all of these signings, together with the transfers between SL clubs and teams in the Championship, where players are batted back and forth between clubs with no money changing hands at the drop of a hat, to get around the number of loan and DR players allowed in a squad.

Out of interest, what should he do? What would you do?

If we had a rich backer, would you not like them to spend their money on us?

Seeing our injury list andvtgeir in selected list, some of theirs might appreciate run-out with us!! Are we looking for replacements?

2 hours ago, distantdog said:

Out of interest, what should he do? What would you do?

If we had a rich backer, would you not like them to spend their money on us?

I would like to think, I would have the common sense to see when people are sidestepping the rules to gain an unfair advantage and ensure I did not allow clubs to benefit from cheating the system.

I certainly would not be ratifying the signings from (in my view) a morally and ethically bankrupt chairman, who was crying the poor tale at the end of last season, who publicly bullied and harrassed contracted players to leave the club without fulfilling their contract, stating the club would go in to administration if they didn't leave. If that's the money you are talking about, I'd rather not have it in the game. That is just my opinion though. 

Although not a particularly popular point view in rugby league circles, I do not agree with clubs being propped up by rich benefactors either. It is not a good business model and has seen too many clubs fall in to financial difficulty in the past, including most SL clubs. I also think it is better for the game to have a salary cap that represents the majority of the league to ensure the competition is balanced and open. Having some teams spending 6 or 7 times what other clubs spend, in the same division devalues the competition. I'm okay with the better supported and wealthy clubs spending a bit more money, but not to the extent of 6 or 7 times.

In case you think these ramblings are from somebody who holds these views because I support a historically financially poor club, you would be incorrect. I shared these same views, the season we finished 3rd in the league and received 3 times the funding of some of the other clubs in the same division. I'm sick of seeing most sport being devalued in to a battle of who has the biggest bank account. 

Boxing for example has weight divisions for a reason, a flyweight versus a heavyweight would not be much of a contest. The same can be said for rugby league too.  

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I would like to think, I would have the common sense to see when people are sidestepping the rules to gain an unfair advantage and ensure I did not allow clubs to benefit from cheating the system.

I certainly would not be ratifying the signings from (in my view) a morally and ethically bankrupt chairman, who was crying the poor tale at the end of last season, who publicly bullied and harrassed contracted players to leave the club without fulfilling their contract, stating the club would go in to administration if they didn't leave. If that's the money you are talking about, I'd rather not have it in the game. That is just my opinion though. 

What rules has he broken? Do you have evidence that he has broken any rules? He might be morally and ethically bankrupt, but it would seem he isn't financially bankrupt.

Genuinely, do you have a link to the fact he publically bullied any players?

I am no fan of the Leigh club or chairman, but if he hasn't broken any rules, then what's the issue? I would love it if we spent some decent money on a couple of big names right now, as we are really struggling with numbers at the moment. Would that be morally and ethically bankrupt?

45 minutes ago, distantdog said:

What rules has he broken? Do you have evidence that he has broken any rules? He might be morally and ethically bankrupt, but it would seem he isn't financially bankrupt.

Genuinely, do you have a link to the fact he publically bullied any players?

I am no fan of the Leigh club or chairman, but if he hasn't broken any rules, then what's the issue? I would love it if we spent some decent money on a couple of big names right now, as we are really struggling with numbers at the moment. Would that be morally and ethically bankrupt?

Where did I say he had broken any rules? 

You asked me what I would do, if I was Rimmer. I stated I would hope to have the common sense to ensure teams did not sidestep rules, like signing players on from SL to then release them back to the SL club at the drop of a hat, similarly to what Featherstone did with Briscoe for example. Nor would I have allowed teams to effectively cheat the system by claiming near bankruptcy to avoid paying players what they were contracted to.

Therefore, I would be looking closely at the right and proper persons assessment, to see where a person like this fits in. I certainly would not have ratified the high profile signings Leigh have made this season, given how close they were to financial ruin the year before, which meant they could not raise 17 players for the playoffs. 

Without looking too deeply for links:-

https://www.leighobserver.co.uk/sport/more-sport/leigh-centurions-owner-derek-beaumont-on-grim-picture-for-club-1-9434672

You don't need to be the brain of britain to work which two players were refusing to accept compromise deals, that threatened the future of the club. That in my opinion is attempting to bully players in to accepting a compromise deal.

A couple of other related links.  

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/super-league-news-leigh-players-1890063

https://www.totalrl.com/exclusive-leigh-in-further-turmoil-as-several-players-not-paid-september-wages/

Have a look yourself, it was widely publicised. ?

15 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Where did I say he had broken any rules? 

You asked me what I would do, if I was Rimmer. I stated I would hope to have the common sense to ensure teams did not sidestep rules, like signing players on from SL to then release them back to the SL club at the drop of a hat, similarly to what Featherstone did with Briscoe for example. Nor would I have allowed teams to effectively cheat the system by claiming near bankruptcy to avoid paying players what they were contracted to.

Therefore, I would be looking closely at the right and proper persons assessment, to see where a person like this fits in. I certainly would not have ratified the high profile signings Leigh have made this season, given how close they were to financial ruin the year before, which meant they could not raise 17 players for the playoffs. 

Without looking too deeply for links:-

https://www.leighobserver.co.uk/sport/more-sport/leigh-centurions-owner-derek-beaumont-on-grim-picture-for-club-1-9434672

You don't need to be the brain of britain to work which two players were refusing to accept compromise deals, that threatened the future of the club. That in my opinion is attempting to bully players in to accepting a compromise deal.

A couple of other related links.  

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/super-league-news-leigh-players-1890063

https://www.totalrl.com/exclusive-leigh-in-further-turmoil-as-several-players-not-paid-september-wages/

Have a look yourself, it was widely publicised. ?

Cheating the system? What's the difference?

Would you like KN to ensure the club had a future if god forbid we were ever in that situation, or happily pay them their contracts but make sure all the lights were out and doors locked as he left the building?

Thanks for taking the trouble to find and post the links. I was fully aware of his dealings with Larroyer and Evans, but think that bullying is a strong word. His many social foibles are well publicised, but what has he really done wrong?

I am not Brain of Britain, but surely they would have legal recourse if he had acted in any unlawful way.

14 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Cheating the system? What's the difference?

Would you like KN to ensure the club had a future if god forbid we were ever in that situation, or happily pay them their contracts but make sure all the lights were out and doors locked as he left the building?

Thanks for taking the trouble to find and post the links. I was fully aware of his dealings with Larroyer and Evans, but think that bullying is a strong word. His many social foibles are well publicised, but what has he really done wrong?

I am not Brain of Britain, but surely they would have legal recourse if he had acted in any unlawful way.

Have you heard of the dutch sandwich in corporation tax terms DD? 

It is a very similar thing IMO. Legally, it is fine, ethically and morally not.

For example if you were in Evans' position last season, how would you have felt? 

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Have you heard of the dutch sandwich in corporation tax terms DD? 

It is a very similar thing IMO. Legally, it is fine, ethically and morally not.

For example if you were in Evans' position last season, how would you have felt? 

I am sure I would have hated the situation I had found myself in through no fault of my own,but it still does not mean DB did anything wrong. 

Anyway, I am sure we can agree to disagree and allow others to bring the thread back on line.

Just now, distantdog said:

I am sure I would have hated the situation I had found myself in through no fault of my own,but it still does not mean DB did anything wrong. 

Anyway, I am sure we can agree to disagree and allow others to bring the thread back on line.

Fair enough DD. ?

Archived