Friday 5th Apr SL Castleford v Wigan 85,380
Saturday 2nd Mar SL Catalans v Warrington 81,200
Friday 8th Mar SL Wigan v Huddersfield 81,014
Friday 3rd May SL Castleford v Warrington 80,600
Thursday 20th June SL London v Hull KR 79,121
Friday 29th Mar SL Hull v Warrington 76,800
Sunday 26th May MW Salford v Hull KR 76,500

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is this the nonsense list from LRL which doesn't include games that aren't in the top 15 - so if a game was on Main Event but didnt make the top list it wouldn't show?

So it doesn't add the channels together?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

So it doesn't add the channels together?

If they spot it and if it features in the list they do. I have just highlighted some that it looks like they have missed.

8 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

They are statistics so they are whatever you want them to be. If you are up Elstone's bum hole they are good, if you aren't they are bad.

They sound pretty good. 100k average is a lot of Sky subscriber shilling at circa £500/year 

34 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They sound pretty good. 100k average is a lot of Sky subscriber shilling at circa £500/year 

Some interesting tweets on rugbyleagueontv.com about this, where the show is longer (45mins buildup) than previous years which drags down the average as you tend to get peaks during the actual match.

Things like this, plus Friday night Prem League etc. Make like for like comparisons difficult.

But when you look at the ratings for Action and Arena, RL make up the bulk of those charts and viewing figures generally speaking.

Would think SKY subscribers have dropped in the last 12 months,loads of people ditching it because they have stopped doing deals.Quite easy up to then to get up to 60% off subscription costs with minimal effort.A couple of years ago i got all the lot Sports ,Movies Entertainment,and Disney channel{i still like Tom and Jerry and i saw my first game of Rugby League in 1955].for £30 per month.When my deal ran out the same package was £65 monthly take it or leave it.Best i could get was Sports and Entertainment for £40 and i had to plead poverty to get that.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Some interesting tweets on rugbyleagueontv.com about this, where the show is longer (45mins buildup) than previous years which drags down the average as you tend to get peaks during the actual match.

Things like this, plus Friday night Prem League etc. Make like for like comparisons difficult.

But when you look at the ratings for Action and Arena, RL make up the bulk of those charts and viewing figures generally speaking.

yeah I watch SL on new streaming service Kayo & it comes up as over 3 hours for the broadcast & I have to skip through to the match, quite annoying as I don't have time for the buildup.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Is this good or bad?

To an honest person they are abysmal...on average not even 1/4 of 1% of the population watching the Elite Level of the sport either live or on TV or only around 1% of Sky UK subscribers if you prefer it that way. There has not been as small an amount of people watching Rugby League since before the 2nd world war. Whilst the Sky Sports Arena shunting has clearly not been a success the trend is consistent and Sky will have everything in their favour going into the next "negotiation". I think SL would snap their hands off for a repeat deal.

The BBC's Super League Show at least provides a modicum of oxygen alas with not the same guaranteed readies for the clubs. A very challenging time ahead in all sorts of areas.

2 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

To an honest person they are abysmal...on average not even 1/4 of 1% of the population watching the Elite Level of the sport either live or on TV or only around 1% of Sky UK subscribers if you prefer it that way. There has not been as small an amount of people watching Rugby League since before the 2nd world war. Whilst the Sky Sports Arena shunting has clearly not been a success the trend is consistent and Sky will have everything in their favour going into the next "negotiation". I think SL would snap their hands off for a repeat deal.

The BBC's Super League Show at least provides a modicum of oxygen alas with not the same guaranteed readies for the clubs. A very challenging time ahead in all sorts of areas.

The lack of national exposure due to suckling at the Murdoch teat is for another thread but rugby league ranks highly on Sky Sports and seems to offer them VFM.

They’ve been paying to broadcast elite rugby league for three decades...is there any particular reason why they’d stop now?

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The lack of national exposure due to suckling at the Murdoch teat is for another thread but rugby league ranks highly on Sky Sports and seems to offer them VFM.

They’ve been paying to broadcast elite rugby league for three decades...is there any particular reason why they’d stop now?

I have no doubt they will be happy to continue at the right money,  but club owners of the curent times desire (and rely on) the Sky coin much more than Sky desires (or relies on) SL. As previously stated we are talking about a very minor percentage of their (declining) subscriber base shown mainly on a fringe sports channel. Any continuation will be firmly on Sky's terms and I'm happy to wager the new contract offer will reflect a "real" drop in terms. SL will accept pretty much anything in the region of the last contract and be more than happy. This will have on-going effects and the game here has some challenging times ahead to maintain its status. The continuing reduced visibility is very much part of that.

I am quite sure Sky would be more than happy for a shift in any RL viewing habits to the NRL in the long term. 

It's a very ropey model of full time pro sport SL has that cannot continue beyond the mid term. I assume Mr Elstone is on the case.

It really isnt a ropey business model for pro sports. It is pretty much THE business model. Sports are pretty much made for TV, not sure why making money from it is seen as an issue.

We stay in the mainstream via Challenge Cup and Internationals on BBC plus national highlights on the BBC and get decent cash for the week to week stuff.

Signing a long term tv deal allows for guaranteed income for budgets, a far less volatile stream than ticket sales, merchandise and sponsorship.

32 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

I have no doubt they will be happy to continue at the right money,  but club owners of the curent times desire (and rely on) the Sky coin much more than Sky desires (or relies on) SL. As previously stated we are talking about a very minor percentage of their (declining) subscriber base shown mainly on a fringe sports channel. Any continuation will be firmly on Sky's terms and I'm happy to wager the new contract offer will reflect a "real" drop in terms. SL will accept pretty much anything in the region of the last contract and be more than happy. This will have on-going effects and the game here has some challenging times ahead to maintain its status. The continuing reduced visibility is very much part of that.

I am quite sure Sky would be more than happy for a shift in any RL viewing habits to the NRL in the long term. 

It's a very ropey model of full time pro sport SL has that cannot continue beyond the mid term. I assume Mr Elstone is on the case.

I can bet you now that the new tv deal will be greater value than the current one 

32 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I can bet you now that the new tv deal will be greater value than the current one 

I suspect the SL clubs will get more investment from Sky the next time, whether the total RL investment will be the same, we will see. Things like Sky Try etc. were ringfenced so may not be part of any future deal.

14 hours ago, my missus said:

so why would they not put saints v wigan on when it is obviously the most watched game.

On Good Friday their game got 97.5k. Lower than Catalans v Huddersfield.

TBF, a lot of the time there are major impacts dependent on scheduling and other sports etc. 

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It really isnt a ropey business model for pro sports. It is pretty much THE business model. Sports are pretty much made for TV, not sure why making money from it is seen as an issue.

We stay in the mainstream via Challenge Cup and Internationals on BBC plus national highlights on the BBC and get decent cash for the week to week stuff.

Signing a long term tv deal allows for guaranteed income for budgets, a far less volatile stream than ticket sales, merchandise and sponsorship.

"Long term" -  What 25/30 years or more..???? And  "making money" - certainly not British RL...the Sky contract allows us to just  exist in our current form , that is all. And we are still suffering vastly reduced participation, reasonably reduced viewing figures, moderately reduced crowds...the trend is clear and might not be able to be reversed. 

Times are changing with regards peoples interests and viewing habits, Sky itself will not exist in its current form in the "long term"...it is almost certainly on the other side of the curve already. It is very ropey to base full time professionalism and the associated industry on short term TV contracts with one broadcaster who doesn't really need you , is always looking for alternative opportunities and whose own future model is very uncertain. We are one renewal away from massive change. I really don't think there is a long line of admirers wanting to throw £200 million or more our way.

The current scenario will not last in the "long term".  It will be adapt or contract.

Archived