Living in a rugby league town

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in a small town in Southeast Queensland. It's absolutely everywhere and nothing comes close. Number plates with your NRL club logo are all over the place. Bumper stickers, jerseys and memorabilia in shop windows. You would swear no other sport existed. 

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

I live in a small town in Southeast Queensland. It's absolutely everywhere and nothing comes close. Number plates with your NRL club logo are all over the place. Bumper stickers, jerseys and memorabilia in shop windows. You would swear no other sport existed. 

Christ alive.... Like a sunny utopia.... Can't wait to visit Aus one day. My missus used to live there and never saw a live game... She has been berated for this before you ask

Growing up in Wakefield it seemed to be all RL. People loved soccer but there was no professional club so some of my friends supported Liverpool, some Leeds, some Huddersfield, some Sheffield Wednesday, some Man United.

Schools RL was strong, it was the dominant sport at my school bar none. We had token cricket teams, football teams but the school had a RL team which picked from huge squads in all year groups. You forget how fortunate you were to be around so much RL when you move out of the country.

1 hour ago, CmonTheBorough said:

And it happens in the strangest places.  I walked into my local library in a suburb of Glasgow wearing a Canterbury Bulldogs shirt (it had been reduced from £80 to £25 in a sale!) and noticed I was being eyeballed by a new librarian.  Turned out to be an Aussie who explained that he couldn't believe he'd seen a Bulldogs shirt in Glasgow which was why he kept looking!  Many a Rugby League chat since then.

You're right, I went into a bookshop in Colwyn Bay, North Wales and was talking with the owner. He mentioned I didn't sound like I was from round there and I said I was from hull. His next question was, "which team do you support?" I pulled my FC hat out of my pocket and with that he started telling me how he follows league a bit and how his dad used to take him down Widnes. Random place to find a Widnes fan!

14 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

I grew up in St. Helens and took it for granted until I moved to Nottingham. I probably have more appreciation for it now. Just little things like now if I see someone in an RL shirt now its a big thing and i'll try and get talking to them, rather than it happening multiple times just going to Tesco. Another one is now having to explain "Not THAT type of rugby" and what the difference is. I do miss St. Helens in this regard!

Nottingham used to have a high ratio of women to men.  If that’s still the case, losing the RL community does have other benefits ?

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

You're right, I went into a bookshop in Colwyn Bay, North Wales and was talking with the owner. He mentioned I didn't sound like I was from round there and I said I was from hull. His next question was, "which team do you support?" I pulled my FC hat out of my pocket and with that he started telling me how he follows league a bit and how his dad used to take him down Widnes. Random place to find a Widnes fan!

We've taken some pre-season games to Colwyn Bay before now, and Conwy Celts were from there ?

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Growing up in Wakefield it seemed to be all RL. People loved soccer but there was no professional club so some of my friends supported Liverpool, some Leeds, some Huddersfield, some Sheffield Wednesday, some Man United.

Schools RL was strong, it was the dominant sport at my school bar none. We had token cricket teams, football teams but the school had a RL team which picked from huge squads in all year groups. You forget how fortunate you were to be around so much RL when you move out of the country.

"Move out of the country". I thought you were deported.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, SamRLYC said:

Living in Hull and Rugby League go hand in hand, from the grassroots to the top level. 

Yes football has a great set up for grassroots and kids generally play both.

But the feel of the city is Rugby League, every high school has a team, we have 9-10 grassroots teams at every age group from 6s to 18s on top of that we have 5 teams in the NCL divisions and 2 super league clubs. Like has been said above the first contact generally is who do you support?

Do they?

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The first responding poster didn't think so but thanks ☺️

I think it's only fair to point out that you were the first to respond!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I was watching a video of Umyla Hanley's man of the match performance for Orrell St Peters year 10 national championship and it reminded me of my days from many years ago going to that same school and how Rugby League was part of the blood in Wigan and surrounding areas.

Weirdly, to the wider public Orrell would be better know for a once famous Union club but in both High School (St Peters) and College (St John Rigby) in Orrell in the 1980's the only Rugby that ever mattered was League.  I would imagine it is the same now.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I was watching a video of Umyla Hanley's man of the match performance for Orrell St Peters year 10 national championship and it reminded me of my days from many years ago going to that same school and how Rugby League was part of the blood in Wigan and surrounding areas.

Weirdly, to the wider public Orrell would be better know for a once famous Union club but in both High School (St Peters) and College (St John Rigby) in Orrell in the 1980's the only Rugby that ever mattered was League.  I would imagine it is the same now 

Potentially one of the reasons Orrell plummeted

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ha ha... I was drunk so doesn't count

I've lost count of the number of times I have used that line.

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Oh yes.... All of us outside the heartlands have that one

Yeah, if you mention to someone in Hemel that something is 'happening at the rugby club', most will automatically assume Camelot (the RU team) rather than Stags.

2 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Yeah, if you mention to someone in Hemel that something is 'happening at the rugby club', most will automatically assume Camelot (the RU team) rather than Stags.

Hemel is a funny one. I wish it was a little league obsessed enclave but it isn't. It does have a presence and most people know the name

Also as the schools play it it's known about amongst those that go through the system

St. Albans Centurions actually have their own tab in the Herts paper... Alongside 'football' and 'rugby' 

Archived