Living in a rugby league town

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

They should flog it and move north. They could buy a palace and leave the south to the loonies.

Its an idea but I always think moving area just too get a cheaper house isn't the best idea. Especially if family/social life is a certain area

If we moved out would be Chester or Harrogate... Both really great towns when we have visited

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/07/2019 at 07:35, The Hallucinating Goose said:

League is everything in Hull despite what the football fans will try to tell you.

It's not only the fans. A few years ago, Hull City A.F.C. brought out car stickers for their fans depicting

"Hull - A Football City".

If that isn't proof of their inferiority complex, I don't know what is.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

8 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

It's not only the fans. A few years ago, Hull City A.F.C. brought out car stickers for their fans depicting

"Hull - A Football City".

If that isn't proof of their inferiority complex, I don't know what is.

Definitely. I've been to the odd Hull City game when someone I know has a pass going and after the game they've always said something like, "how was it like going to a proper sport then?"

Well it was boring as hell to start with. 90 minutes of kicking a ball slowly back to the goalkeeper, taking about 3 shots in the entire game, up the other end for about 5 minutes in total, players wailing in pain when they've been love tapped and an atmosphere so flat, quiet and miserable that I did genuinely hear a flea fart at the other side of the ground. The last one I went to they gave the attendance as 12,000. I go to FC, I know what 12,000 looks like and it was easy about half that. My god it was dreadful. 

EDIT. I'll add to that as well, I couldn't help noticing how miserable and almost hostile the fans were when I walked in. They were looking at me like, "who the hell are you? What you doing here? F off!" whereas league, I walk in, everyone saying hello, everyone having a joke and nattering about the game. I go with a couple of mates but don't know anyone else that sits round me but we have a laugh like mates throughout the game! That Hull City game was people just silent, staring into the abyss, probably contemplating suicide. Massive contrast! 

League all the way in Hull! 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Its an idea but I always think moving area just too get a cheaper house isn't the best idea. Especially if family/social life is a certain area

If we moved out would be Chester or Harrogate... Both really great towns when we have visited

It's not buying a cheaper house. It's buying something comparable but at a more realistic price. Chester and Harrogate, two very nice places. York is another option but I see York and Chester as being too touristy.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 18/07/2019 at 08:12, EssexRL said:

Its the same in most sports. I followed Reading FC religiously in the 80s and we were struggling on gates of a couple of thousand - somehow managed to get to a Wembley final (the Symod Cup or 'the cup for clubs who can't win any other cups' as we called it) and somehow managed to sale 30,000 tickets. I had no idea where they had all come from and they didn't reappear until we got into the Premier League, by which time I'd switched my allegiance to RL.

A trophy they were unable to defend as it was only for teams in the top two divisions and Reading were relegated down to Division Three the year they won it!

On 17/07/2019 at 19:38, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Hemel is a funny one. I wish it was a little league obsessed enclave but it isn't. It does have a presence and most people know the name

Also as the schools play it it's known about amongst those that go through the system

St. Albans Centurions actually have their own tab in the Herts paper... Alongside 'football' and 'rugby' 

Yeah, I did have hopes it might start to gain ground when Stags were put in to League One in 2013, but it never really materialised. Can't even remember the last time a Stags game was reported in the Gazette...

12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Got in laws in St. Albans and their house is worth over a million.... It's a midterrace Victoria 3 bed..... Mental does not begin to describe it

That's just crazy, 3 bed semi in Mill Hill is significantly less than that! Mates parents live there and he was telling me he was hoping his mum would sell up and get a bungalow near him and his wife in Watford so they could maybe benefit from that and not have to pay the £1200/month rent on their flat as well as she being closer so they can look after her a bit easier.. Even places like Borehamwood which is a bit like Stevenage for the most part has gone silly.

It's not too bad here in the garden city but that's just comparative to the rest of the home counties, we're sort of on that cusp in some regards. A lady I visited through my charity owned an early 20thC 7 bed detached with over an acre of land with mature trees etc, it sold 3 years ago for £1.13M, that was in a nice part of Hitchin not too far from the town centre. That 20 miles difference geographically Northward makes such a massive difference despite the fact both SA and Hitchin are on a mainline into London. My other friend off the A41 wanted to move after his kids left school but he can't afford it unless they move right out the area or seriously downsize.

People in the North don't really grasp sometimes how tough it can be, yes you might be lucky enough to have bought at the right time and your property is worth £xxx, but the reality is unless you want to move from your roots or downsize dramatically your're stuck and that's those who were lucky enough to get on the housing ladder in the first instance. A significant portion never could and there's never a chance for them, even less so now and their children/grandchildren are stuffed!

The whole house price/rental costs does have a significant effect on the value of the salaries of the players at Broncos and IMO the dispensation of the SC isn't enough to balance that out, even if the London club could afford to pay it.

3 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Agreed. Eight years ago, my wife's parents sold a detached house in Farnham, Surrey, for £875,000. They'd bought it, in 1970, for £20,000.

Between birth and 18 (1965-83), I lived in Keighley, Doncaster and Halifax. Rugby league was pretty low profile in all three (interest was virtually non-existent in Doncaster, where we watched Doncaster Rovers FC), though it picked up appreciably in Halifax once David Brook arrived and provided money for decent players.

That's interesting, I though RL was quite a big thing in 'fax and Keighley, I went to both grounds in my first season in 78/79 and 'fax always used to bring a few to Hull in the early 80s, including this ginormous ginger headed bloke?

3 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

That's interesting, I though RL was quite a big thing in 'fax and Keighley, I went to both grounds in my first season in 78/79 and 'fax always used to bring a few to Hull in the early 80s, including this ginormous ginger headed bloke?

Interest in both towns ebbs and flows (people prefer to watch a winning team). Football was my Sheffield-born dad's game but he discovered rugby league while working in Keighley. Under-five then, I was too young to go with him to Lawkholme but he went occasionally. We never went to Tattersfield in the three years we lived in Doncaster (I guess my dad didn't think Dons were good enough to bother with), though we watched the football at Belle Vue regularly. Halifax were in pretty dire straits (struggling in Division Two, crowds often below 1,500) when we moved to that area. There was strong competition from Halifax Town FC, the speedway team (who often attracted bigger crowds than both the rugby league and the football) and, for a short time, basketball. We went to Thrum Hall (and Fartown) maybe five times or so every season. Halifax's on-field revival (from the days when beating Huyton was a triumph) began circa 1979. Crowds (and interest) certainly picked up after that. Shame Halifax's great spell under David Brook and Chris Anderson coincided with my time away at university, though I did go to games at Thrum Hall outside term time. Lived in a few rugby league places since, including Whitehaven (where, to my initial surprise, there was huge interest in rugby league) and York (where spectator interest ebbs and flows).

7 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

It's not buying a cheaper house. It's buying something comparable but at a more realistic price. Chester and Harrogate, two very nice places. York is another option but I see York and Chester as being too touristy.

Yep fair enough.... York knights on the doorstep though would be good... 365 pubs I believe... One for every day of the year

5 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I can see it's a Warrington Wolf on the left and a Leeds Rhino on the right. What are the middle two mascots?

Huddersfield Giants "Big G" and Hull F.C.'s "Airlie Bird" 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Bloody airlie bird out on the lash while airlie girl is at home trying desperately to get the mushy pea stains out of his jersey after that race... selfish, that's what it is, selfish... 

Girlie Bird says she doesn't mind; Love is.......... ?

Girlie Bird 10"

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Surprise? Everyone knows Whitehaven is a league place marra! 

It was the amount of interest - not merely the interest - that surprised me. Back in the mid-80s, every community in the Whitehaven area seemed to have a rugby league club, and the semi-pro club's average league attendance was about 1,900 (rising to 4,000 for cup ties against top visiting opposition). Not bad for a small town. You could go out in Whitehaven on a Friday and Saturday night, and hear even groups of women talking about rugby league.

56 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

It was the amount of interest - not merely the interest - that surprised me. Back in the mid-80s, every community in the Whitehaven area seemed to have a rugby league club, and the semi-pro club's average league attendance was about 1,900 (rising to 4,000 for cup ties against top visiting opposition). Not bad for a small town. You could go out in Whitehaven on a Friday and Saturday night, and hear even groups of women talking about rugby league.

Wonder if it's still like that

Brought up in Swinton, 1946 till I left in 1967. Until about 1960 there were only three sports I was really aware of: crikit, soccer, rugby league. At secondary school in Salford, main sport was soccer. As i was useless at soccer, it was cross country running. It was there I learned that there was a second rugby called rugby union. Back in Swinton, though it was all league, at least in the circles in which I moved. My dad knew a few of the former players, so that was part of the chat at home.

10 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

That's just crazy, 3 bed semi in Mill Hill is significantly less than that! Mates parents live there and he was telling me he was hoping his mum would sell up and get a bungalow near him and his wife in Watford so they could maybe benefit from that and not have to pay the £1200/month rent on their flat as well as she being closer so they can look after her a bit easier.. Even places like Borehamwood which is a bit like Stevenage for the most part has gone silly.

It's not too bad here in the garden city but that's just comparative to the rest of the home counties, we're sort of on that cusp in some regards. A lady I visited through my charity owned an early 20thC 7 bed detached with over an acre of land with mature trees etc, it sold 3 years ago for £1.13M, that was in a nice part of Hitchin not too far from the town centre. That 20 miles difference geographically Northward makes such a massive difference despite the fact both SA and Hitchin are on a mainline into London. My other friend off the A41 wanted to move after his kids left school but he can't afford it unless they move right out the area or seriously downsize.

People in the North don't really grasp sometimes how tough it can be, yes you might be lucky enough to have bought at the right time and your property is worth £xxx, but the reality is unless you want to move from your roots or downsize dramatically your're stuck and that's those who were lucky enough to get on the housing ladder in the first instance. A significant portion never could and there's never a chance for them, even less so now and their children/grandchildren are stuffed!

The whole house price/rental costs does have a significant effect on the value of the salaries of the players at Broncos and IMO the dispensation of the SC isn't enough to balance that out, even if the London club could afford to pay it.

I blame those crooks...what name do they go under again?

Ah yes, Lee Radford Estate Agents.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived