https://www.totalrl.com/rfl-confirms-long-awaited-return-of-mandatory-reserve-grade-for-2020/

11 English SL clubs and Bradford and Widnes as they have funded academies.

Format not announced but expected to be home and away no playoffs.

Hopefully clubs take these games to community clubs midweek evenings. Kids can go training then watch the reserves etc. Some nice summer evening viewing hopefully.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Some extra info.

5 other expressions of interest have beem recieved from Championship and L1 teams.

Academy to now be u18s rather than u19s as is.

Dual reg/Loan system to be unaffected.

Except that most clubs will, presumably, have fewer players to loan/dual reg?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Fans of Championship and League 1 clubs will be watching a lower standard of RL from next season. SL clubs will be sending fewer players out on loan/DR and will also release fewer Academy players at the end of this season. They might well also pick up part-timers who are currently playing in the lower leagues.

This is also going to have a fair impact on Salford's finances next season.  Finding the resources to fund academy and reserve teams next season will drain resources from their first team, which has been their sole focus for a couple of years now.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I think Reserve grade could be used to help expansion for example if Salford had an agreement with Manchester Rangers to run there reserve grade side. It would help Salford save some funds and give Manchester Rangers a Semi pro Competition to play in.

The other Idea is championship sides from smaller towns wanting to enter reserve grade sides could combine at reserve grade level to help save funds and enter a regional combined reserve grade side eg: West Cumbria

5 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Fans of Championship and League 1 clubs will be watching a lower standard of RL from next season. SL clubs will be sending fewer players out on loan/DR and will also release fewer Academy players at the end of this season. They might well also pick up part-timers who are currently playing in the lower leagues.

This is also going to have a fair impact on Salford's finances next season.  Finding the resources to fund academy and reserve teams next season will drain resources from their first team, which has been their sole focus for a couple of years now.

I can see what you're saying re the championship, however its all about how different clubs use it. The change in the academy to u18s looks to me like a concession to the likes of Leeds who may continue to have an u19s/20s but just call it their reserves - with the rest going DR with Fev for example as is essentially the case now.

Agree though that this could be a massive hit to the likes of Salford.

I wonder whether this means Widnes will be forced to axe their academy, which was looking difficult to sustain in the absence of central funding. Maybe an easy get-out for Salford would be to try to take it over? 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Some extra info.

5 other expressions of interest have beem recieved from Championship and L1 teams.

I think the Academy element is a critical part.

We have seen from competitive England Academy series over the last few years that England are capable of producing quality young players.  But some of the team that beat the Australian Schoolboys last year have bounced between Dual Reg for Championship/League 1 and then back into the u19's again.  This does not help their development for that critical 18 to 21 development stage.

Having the reserve league will allow these players to stay with their clubs and train with SL coaches and then be given exposure to first team rugby when sensible.  Some will progress earlier than others, some later.

It also allows players to return from injury through a reserve league and I bet Luther Burrell would have loved a reserve league to develop in over the last month or so.

All in all, good news.  I understand the arguments about the impact on Championship and League 1 but I expect this to play through the system and more opportunities for more players is always a good thing.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I think Reserve grade could be used to help expansion for example if Salford had an agreement with Manchester Rangers to run there reserve grade side. It would help Salford save some funds and give Manchester Rangers a Semi pro Competition to play in.

The other Idea is championship sides from smaller towns wanting to enter reserve grade sides could combine at reserve grade level to help save funds and enter a regional combined reserve grade side eg: West Cumbria

I wouldn't object to that happening, but it would be a feeder club rather than a reserve team and we know some people would hate that (and be very loud in their complaints). And there's nothing been said this morning to suggest that clubs will be allowed to do this.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

To me this is good news. My only concern is if the talent pool is there for clubs to have a quality 1st team, res, u21. 

I also have an idea for this too. Clubs should play their reserve games at local community clubs. I'll use St helens as an example, Games could be taken to Blackbrook, Thatto heath, pilks......ect. This way the community clubs can take a slice of the gate and be able to generate revenues from bar/food takings. Extra cash is always needed and can be used to help develop and attract junior talent to the community clubs and strengthen the areas. Surely it would be more cost effective then opening the saints ground for a few 100 people and the community clubs could really benifit. 

Obviously the reserve teams are paid pros so each community club will have to meet some standards pitch wise and changing room facilities wise as a duty of care for the players is needed. 

8 minutes ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

About time. Should have never been abolished in the first place.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Till it's gone

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

https://www.totalrl.com/rfl-confirms-long-awaited-return-of-mandatory-reserve-grade-for-2020/

11 English SL clubs and Bradford and Widnes as they have funded academies.

Format not announced but expected to be home and away no playoffs.

Hopefully clubs take these games to community clubs midweek evenings. Kids can go training then watch the reserves etc. Some nice summer evening viewing hopefully.

Pre seasonHull did that for a few years and the crowds at CC ground were always good.

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

If Salford can’t afford to run a reserve and academy side, perhaps they should consider cutting their cloth accordingly and dropping down to the Championship. To me it seems like a very reasonable requirement. 

Some extra info.

Good news. I'd hope that the Championship/League 1 teams currently running reserve teams don't end up getting excluded from the revised setup however. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Excellent news. With the Academy now going to U18, it should give a few more players available and for them to make the grade at their pace. I hope we now stay with this and dont let SL clubs stop running a Reserve Grade team for whatever reason.

Newcastle Thunder have applied and you would think Halifax and Featherstone have also applied. The other two are possibly Keighley and Leigh.

2 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I believe the RFL have already ruled out combined teams. Widnes had discussed the idea of running a joint reserves with Warrington to keep costs down after the academy funding was withheld and this mandatory ruling was being brought in for Cat 1 academy. It was rejected. 

Archived