I was listening to the Super League Pod discuss this issue and I had a thought on the subject that hadn’t previously occurred to me.  I played Academy League at a club with an A (reserve) team. I was also heavily involved with cricket at the same time.  The existence of an A team definitely played a role in me ultimately attempting to pursue cricket rather than League.  It was an extra step to the first XIII and a roadblock that made the first team appear distant.  There is definitely an advantage to reserve grade league for those who are 100% committed to the sport and it provides competitive games but it disincentives staying in the game for those who potentially have other options.  I wasn’t willing at 18/19 years old to commit to a pathway that had reserves as a hurdle to go through when I had other, potentially more promising options.  If the system was Academy to first team then it makes it far more attractive to stay in the sport.  I know people will say that if you are good enough then you don’t have to play reserves, and that is true, but it is the perception for the athlete that is important and reserve grade makes League less attractive for those that are not just League players.  I would like us to try to find ways to make a career in League attractive for those who also play football, cricket, Union etc rather than adding what appears to be an extra hurdle.  The vast majority of guys I played with were League through and through but we need to cast our net wider and attract those who play multiple sports at a good level and have them pick League.  Adding an extra layer makes that choice less attractive.

Hope that makes sense even if people don’t agree.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Presumably if an academy player is good enough they will go straight to the 1st team

Reserves/A- team can provide a game for those too old for Academy but still with potential and/or a role to play

Indeed. Its certainly not compulsory but those good enough will probably be fast tracked to reserve level rather than spending as long at academy level. If anything it will make the path to first team level easier for young players.

Archived