Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Rochdale. Sunday 21st July 2019

Recommended Posts

So last week's 17 performed admirably in Canada, but we're bacl on home turf this week.

FRom the 17 that played, I imagine Bussey could miss out after failing the head test, Im not sure what the protocol is on that.

Hardy may be cited for his tackle, but I guess a suspension would be the week after.

Otherwise, hopefully Cam King, Chisholm and Reynolds will all be available. That will transform the side.

Hopefully we'll see Wheeldon and John Davies back soon too.

Connor Jones will make it very difficult for Danny Maskill to get a game barring injury.

Teteh is down the pecking order too. One thought about the 3/4ers: If Chiz is back, Dagger moves to wing which leaves no place for Render. Harsh on young Jack that, I want to see more of him, at wing or FB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to be in a position where there is competition for places and the team isn't picking itself.

The paramount thing for this week, and the next 2 fixtures, is no repeat performances in the calibre of our home fixtures against Dewsbury and Barrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

So last week's 17 performed admirably in Canada, but we're bacl on home turf this week.

FRom the 17 that played, I imagine Bussey could miss out after failing the head test, Im not sure what the protocol is on that.

Hardy may be cited for his tackle, but I guess a suspension would be the week after.

Otherwise, hopefully Cam King, Chisholm and Reynolds will all be available. That will transform the side.

Hopefully we'll see Wheeldon and John Davies back soon too.

Connor Jones will make it very difficult for Danny Maskill to get a game barring injury.

Teteh is down the pecking order too. One thought about the 3/4ers: If Chiz is back, Dagger moves to wing which leaves no place for Render. Harsh on young Jack that, I want to see more of him, at wing or FB.

Render just needs to bide his time. He will be a regular soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

So last week's 17 performed admirably in Canada, but we're bacl on home turf this week.

FRom the 17 that played, I imagine Bussey could miss out after failing the head test, Im not sure what the protocol is on that.

Hardy may be cited for his tackle, but I guess a suspension would be the week after.

Otherwise, hopefully Cam King, Chisholm and Reynolds will all be available. That will transform the side.

Hopefully we'll see Wheeldon and John Davies back soon too.

Connor Jones will make it very difficult for Danny Maskill to get a game barring injury.

Teteh is down the pecking order too. One thought about the 3/4ers: If Chiz is back, Dagger moves to wing which leaves no place for Render. Harsh on young Jack that, I want to see more of him, at wing or FB.

I believe that an all clear from concussion is assessed on an individual basis, although I also have in the back of my mind that at least a week must have passed between the incident and a return to playing - which should mean that Bussey will be available if he passes the checks/tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I believe that an all clear from concussion is assessed on an individual basis, although I also have in the back of my mind that at least a week must have passed between the incident and a return to playing - which should mean that Bussey will be available if he passes the checks/tests.

Righto. So it having been a Saturday match makes him available, but otherwise he would have sat out this weekend's game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Righto. So it having been a Saturday match makes him available, but otherwise he would have sat out this weekend's game?

That's my recollection of how things work(ed?). Given the increased recognition of how serious head injuries can be it now may well be a longer period between incident and playing again. Obviously the extent of the concussion will also have a major effect on the absence period. Iirc a few years ago Gavin Swinson did so well in his preseason cognitive test he found it difficult to pass the assessment to allow him to return following a concussion injury!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

 Iirc a few years ago Gavin Swinson did so well in his preseason cognitive test he found it difficult to pass the assessment to allow him to return following a concussion injury!

Ah, think I've worked out how the baseline test works...

"So Gavin, what did you have for dinner last night?"

(six months later receives a concussion)

"So Gavin, what did you have for dinner six months ago?"

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with MarkLP's comments about Render. For a youngster, the feature of his play has been how sound and error-free he has been. Think his initial contract was just for 2019, so hope he gets signed up for 2020+ soon.

As for the Rochdale game...am normally very circumspect about predictions but it will be disappointing if we don't win this with plenty to spare. You never know when some of the "lower" teams in the league are going to raise their game, but in their last 6 away games Rochdale have conceded 40. 46, 60, 66, 54 and 52 points, so hopefully this can be a less traumatic game than the Dewsbury and Barrow ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ah, think I've worked out how the baseline test works...

"So Gavin, what did you have for dinner last night?"

(six months later receives a concussion)

"So Gavin, what did you have for dinner six months ago?"

 

Sounds logical to me......  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Connor Jones will make it very difficult for Danny Maskill to get a game barring injury.

Teteh is down the pecking order too.

Teteh didn't play for the reserves last night, but Maskill did (and played big minutes as he finished the game playing as one of the middles). Maybe that's an indication towards Sunday's squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're a top five team then we should win this and win this well. Yes we slipped up against Barrow but Rochdale are another level below that.

From a points difference perspective there's only really Leigh that have a similar amount but it would be nice to put some distance between us just in case.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, fevtom said:

If we're a top five team then we should win this and win this well. Yes we slipped up against Barrow but Rochdale are another level below that.

From a points difference perspective there's only really Leigh that have a similar amount but it would be nice to put some distance between us just in case.

Agreed, whoever plays should be good enough, and the squad should able to gain the two points while giving a game to those who need one, to make sure everyone is ready and available for the play-offs. Last Saturday's performance shows that if they aim high anything is achievable with a full strength squad, and this has to include the best loan and D/R players. If Dagger isn't going to be around by then I would play Render instead. Regardless of what the knockers may say, I would also try to get such as Wellington Albert the required number of games to qualify for the play-offs under D/R rules.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh Hardcastle has provisionally been given a 3 game ban for the shoulder charge (adjudged Grade C) on O'Brien at Toronto so assuming he doesn't challenge it he'll miss Dewsbury, Swinton and York. Could be Teteh time if Sutcliffe still isn't fit.

No bans for Bussey, Briscoe or Albert (who apparently raised his knee at some stage though I can't remember that).

Darcey Lussick received a 1-game ban for Grade B punching.

Think most of those about as expected though I thought Lussick would get Grade C and a couple of games as he threw more than one punch and wasn't messing about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squad announced https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-name-hornets-squad-mYogx

Welcome news that King, Chisholm and Davies are all back in the squad, assuming they are all fit to play.

There's no doubt that the unlucky player is Render, who has never let us down and played really well in Toronto. His time will come and he's probably already played more games this season than most would have expected, though.

Thankfully the forecast for the weekend looks a bit dryer than today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Squad announced https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-name-hornets-squad-mYogx

Welcome news that King, Chisholm and Davies are all back in the squad, assuming they are all fit to play.

There's no doubt that the unlucky player is Render, who has never let us down and played really well in Toronto. His time will come and he's probably already played more games this season than most would have expected, though.

Thankfully the forecast for the weekend looks a bit dryer than today!

Difficult to see who misses out. Dagger seems one of the 2 as the general consensus appears to be he hasn't impressed, all be it playing out of position. As for the other it may depend if we go for 2 hookers in the 17, something we don't tend to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Difficult to see who misses out. Dagger seems one of the 2 as the general consensus appears to be he hasn't impressed, all be it playing out of position. As for the other it may depend if we go for 2 hookers in the 17, something we don't tend to do. 

Whilst I don't disagree with you, Dagger is here on loan, so will play. That means Teteh misses out.

I think two hookers is a decent idea for this one as CK eases his way back in, so perhaps Davies misses out. Shows just how much competition there is in our forwards.

Render v.unlucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Whilst I don't disagree with you, Dagger is here on loan, so will play. That means Teteh misses out.

I think two hookers is a decent idea for this one as CK eases his way back in, so perhaps Davies misses out. Shows just how much competition there is in our forwards.

Render v.unlucky.

I see what you say about Dagger, but we have Turner on loan and he isn't in the squad. For me we have ample players to cover their own natural positions and would prefer them to do so without playing players out of position. 

Agree about Render, his time will come though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

So after the speculation how do you see the actual line up? Who will be the bench 4.

You ask this every week Col. 

What do you think?

Try and have a thought of your own.

Thinking is so important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

Difficult to see who misses out. Dagger seems one of the 2 as the general consensus appears to be he hasn't impressed, all be it playing out of position. As for the other it may depend if we go for 2 hookers in the 17, something we don't tend to do. 

we tended to do that with maskill but don't think we'ave  brought jones half way round the world not to play him  and i would give  lockwood a  rest bigger fish for him to fry later on in the season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

You ask this every week Col. 

What do you think?

Try and have a thought of your own.

Thinking is so important.

I take it you have been talking to Capt Mannering.'Don't tell him Baldrick'. I have my own thoughts but just wanted to know how people saw the line up.  My line up : Golding, Briscoe, Hardcastle, TT, Carey, Jones Chisholm, Harrison, King, Ormondroyd, Day, Walters, Lockwood. Bench: Davies, Cooper, Macatoa, Reynolds. I have a very clear mind and just like to see other peoples thoughts on various subjects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

I take it you have been talking to Capt Mannering.'Don't tell him Baldrick'. I have my own thoughts but just wanted to know how people saw the line up.  My line up : Golding, Briscoe, Hardcastle, TT, Carey, Jones Chisholm, Harrison, King, Ormondroyd, Day, Walters, Lockwood. Bench: Davies, Cooper, Macatoa, Reynolds. I have a very clear mind and just like to see other peoples thoughts on various subjects.

“Don’t tell him your name PIKE “. I think youve mixed Black Adder up with Dads Army.His Gaffer is in Black Adder . Anyway we have a decent lineup that I don’t really worry at all.When you see Brisco , Golding and Chisholm mentioned and leaving out Davies we have a strong Team to genuinely win this by 50 .

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets just turn up , the score will take care of itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...