Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Rochdale. Sunday 21st July 2019

marklaspalmas

So last week's 17 performed admirably in Canada, but we're bacl on home turf this week.

FRom the 17 that played, I imagine Bussey could miss out after failing the head test, Im not sure what the protocol is on that.

Hardy may be cited for his tackle, but I guess a suspension would be the week after.

Otherwise, hopefully Cam King, Chisholm and Reynolds will all be available. That will transform the side.

Hopefully we'll see Wheeldon and John Davies back soon too.

Connor Jones will make it very difficult for Danny Maskill to get a game barring injury.

Teteh is down the pecking order too. One thought about the 3/4ers: If Chiz is back, Dagger moves to wing which leaves no place for Render. Harsh on young Jack that, I want to see more of him, at wing or FB.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

So last week's 17 performed admirably in Canada, but we're bacl on home turf this week.

FRom the 17 that played, I imagine Bussey could miss out after failing the head test, Im not sure what the protocol is on that.

Hardy may be cited for his tackle, but I guess a suspension would be the week after.

Otherwise, hopefully Cam King, Chisholm and Reynolds will all be available. That will transform the side.

Connor Jones will make it very difficult for Danny Maskill to get a game barring injury.

Teteh is down the pecking order too. One thought about the 3/4ers: If Chiz is back, Dagger moves to wing which leaves no place for Render. Harsh on young Jack that, I want to see more of him, at wing or FB.

Render just needs to bide his time. He will be a regular soon.

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I believe that an all clear from concussion is assessed on an individual basis, although I also have in the back of my mind that at least a week must have passed between the incident and a return to playing - which should mean that Bussey will be available if he passes the checks/tests.

23 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I believe that an all clear from concussion is assessed on an individual basis, although I also have in the back of my mind that at least a week must have passed between the incident and a return to playing - which should mean that Bussey will be available if he passes the checks/tests.

Righto. So it having been a Saturday match makes him available, but otherwise he would have sat out this weekend's game?

5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Righto. So it having been a Saturday match makes him available, but otherwise he would have sat out this weekend's game?

That's my recollection of how things work(ed?). Given the increased recognition of how serious head injuries can be it now may well be a longer period between incident and playing again. Obviously the extent of the concussion will also have a major effect on the absence period. Iirc a few years ago Gavin Swinson did so well in his preseason cognitive test he found it difficult to pass the assessment to allow him to return following a concussion injury!

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Iirc a few years ago Gavin Swinson did so well in his preseason cognitive test he found it difficult to pass the assessment to allow him to return following a concussion injury!

Ah, think I've worked out how the baseline test works...

"So Gavin, what did you have for dinner last night?"

(six months later receives a concussion)

"So Gavin, what did you have for dinner six months ago?"

I agree with MarkLP's comments about Render. For a youngster, the feature of his play has been how sound and error-free he has been. Think his initial contract was just for 2019, so hope he gets signed up for 2020+ soon.

As for the Rochdale game...am normally very circumspect about predictions but it will be disappointing if we don't win this with plenty to spare. You never know when some of the "lower" teams in the league are going to raise their game, but in their last 6 away games Rochdale have conceded 40. 46, 60, 66, 54 and 52 points, so hopefully this can be a less traumatic game than the Dewsbury and Barrow ones.

22 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Teteh is down the pecking order too.

Teteh didn't play for the reserves last night, but Maskill did (and played big minutes as he finished the game playing as one of the middles). Maybe that's an indication towards Sunday's squad.

If we're a top five team then we should win this and win this well. Yes we slipped up against Barrow but Rochdale are another level below that.

From a points difference perspective there's only really Leigh that have a similar amount but it would be nice to put some distance between us just in case.

27 minutes ago, fevtom said:

If we're a top five team then we should win this and win this well. Yes we slipped up against Barrow but Rochdale are another level below that.

From a points difference perspective there's only really Leigh that have a similar amount but it would be nice to put some distance between us just in case.

Agreed, whoever plays should be good enough, and the squad should able to gain the two points while giving a game to those who need one, to make sure everyone is ready and available for the play-offs. Last Saturday's performance shows that if they aim high anything is achievable with a full strength squad, and this has to include the best loan and D/R players. If Dagger isn't going to be around by then I would play Render instead. Regardless of what the knockers may say, I would also try to get such as Wellington Albert the required number of games to qualify for the play-offs under D/R rules.  

Josh Hardcastle has provisionally been given a 3 game ban for the shoulder charge (adjudged Grade C) on O'Brien at Toronto so assuming he doesn't challenge it he'll miss Dewsbury, Swinton and York. Could be Teteh time if Sutcliffe still isn't fit.

No bans for Bussey, Briscoe or Albert (who apparently raised his knee at some stage though I can't remember that).

Darcey Lussick received a 1-game ban for Grade B punching.

Think most of those about as expected though I thought Lussick would get Grade C and a couple of games as he threw more than one punch and wasn't messing about.

Squad announced https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-name-hornets-squad-mYogx

Welcome news that King, Chisholm and Davies are all back in the squad, assuming they are all fit to play.

There's no doubt that the unlucky player is Render, who has never let us down and played really well in Toronto. His time will come and he's probably already played more games this season than most would have expected, though.

Thankfully the forecast for the weekend looks a bit dryer than today!

8 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Squad announced https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-name-hornets-squad-mYogx

Welcome news that King, Chisholm and Davies are all back in the squad, assuming they are all fit to play.

There's no doubt that the unlucky player is Render, who has never let us down and played really well in Toronto. His time will come and he's probably already played more games this season than most would have expected, though.

Thankfully the forecast for the weekend looks a bit dryer than today!

Difficult to see who misses out. Dagger seems one of the 2 as the general consensus appears to be he hasn't impressed, all be it playing out of position. As for the other it may depend if we go for 2 hookers in the 17, something we don't tend to do. 

9 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Difficult to see who misses out. Dagger seems one of the 2 as the general consensus appears to be he hasn't impressed, all be it playing out of position. As for the other it may depend if we go for 2 hookers in the 17, something we don't tend to do. 

Whilst I don't disagree with you, Dagger is here on loan, so will play. That means Teteh misses out.

I think two hookers is a decent idea for this one as CK eases his way back in, so perhaps Davies misses out. Shows just how much competition there is in our forwards.

Render v.unlucky.

4 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Whilst I don't disagree with you, Dagger is here on loan, so will play. That means Teteh misses out.

I think two hookers is a decent idea for this one as CK eases his way back in, so perhaps Davies misses out. Shows just how much competition there is in our forwards.

Render v.unlucky.

I see what you say about Dagger, but we have Turner on loan and he isn't in the squad. For me we have ample players to cover their own natural positions and would prefer them to do so without playing players out of position. 

Agree about Render, his time will come though.

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

we tended to do that with maskill but don't think we'ave  brought jones half way round the world not to play him  and i would give  lockwood a  rest bigger fish for him to fry later on in the season

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

You ask this every week Col. 

What do you think?

Try and have a thought of your own.

Thinking is so important.

I take it you have been talking to Capt Mannering.'Don't tell him Baldrick'. I have my own thoughts but just wanted to know how people saw the line up.  My line up : Golding, Briscoe, Hardcastle, TT, Carey, Jones Chisholm, Harrison, King, Ormondroyd, Day, Walters, Lockwood. Bench: Davies, Cooper, Macatoa, Reynolds. I have a very clear mind and just like to see other peoples thoughts on various subjects.

31 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

I take it you have been talking to Capt Mannering.'Don't tell him Baldrick'. I have my own thoughts but just wanted to know how people saw the line up.  My line up : Golding, Briscoe, Hardcastle, TT, Carey, Jones Chisholm, Harrison, King, Ormondroyd, Day, Walters, Lockwood. Bench: Davies, Cooper, Macatoa, Reynolds. I have a very clear mind and just like to see other peoples thoughts on various subjects.

“Don’t tell him your name PIKE “. I think youve mixed Black Adder up with Dads Army.His Gaffer is in Black Adder . Anyway we have a decent lineup that I don’t really worry at all.When you see Brisco , Golding and Chisholm mentioned and leaving out Davies we have a strong Team to genuinely win this by 50 .

Archived