20-21 Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Betfred Championship games here.

SATURDAY 20th JULY 
Toulouse Olympique v Sheffield Eagles KO 5pm (UK Time)

SUNDAY 21ST JULY 
Dewsbury Rams v Halifax KO 3pm
Featherstone Rovers v Rochdale Hornets KO 3pm
Leigh Centurions v Batley Bulldogs KO 3pm
Swinton Lions v Barrow Raiders KO 3pm
Widnes Vikings v Toronto Wolfpack KO 5.35pm (TV)
York City Knights v Bradford Bulls KO 3pm

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SATURDAY 20th JULY 
Toulouse Olympique 42 v 12 Sheffield Eagles

SUNDAY 21ST JULY 
Dewsbury Rams 14 v 22 Halifax
Featherstone Rovers 48 v 10 Rochdale Hornets
Leigh Centurions 32 v 12 Batley Bulldogs
Swinton Lions 16 v 16 Barrow Raiders
Widnes Vikings 14 v 30 Toronto Wolfpack
York City Knights 18 v 18 Bradford Bulls

some interesting games this week. York v Bradford strikes me as the best from a neutral point of view.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Toulouse Olympique 36 v 16 Sheffield Eagles
Dewsbury Rams 16 v  17 Halifax 
Featherstone Rovers 56 v 8 Rochdale Hornets 
Leigh Centurions 32 v 16 Batley Bulldogs 
Swinton Lions 22 v 14 Barrow Raiders 
Widnes Vikings 12 v 32 Toronto Wolfpack 
York City Knights 20 v 18 Bradford Bulls 

1 hour ago, ojx said:

Any of these games on OurLeague?

july schedule for our league There will  be an opportunity to watch the stars of tomorrow  as England Youth face France U16s in a two-game test series. The first game is set to take place on July 17 at KCOM Craven Park before they meet again three days later at the Mobile Rocket Stadium both exclusively live on Our League.  Bradford Bulls and Wigan Warriors will compete in the Women’s Super League live on Our League on July 21.The Coral Women’s Challenge Cup final will take centre stage on Saturday 27th July in a broadcast which we also be shared with BBC. The following day the line-up will culminate with the first-ever AB Sundecks 1895 Cup semi-finals being shown back-to-back starting with Sheffield Eagles v Batley Bulldogs at 2pm before Leigh Centurions host Widnes Vikings at 4pm 

6 hours ago, fevtom said:

SATURDAY 20th JULY 
Toulouse Olympique 38 v 4Sheffield Eagles

SUNDAY 21ST JULY 
Dewsbury Rams 6 v 28Halifax
Featherstone Rovers 60 v 0 Rochdale Hornets
Leigh Centurions 32 v 30 Batley Bulldogs
Swinton Lions 25 v 18 Barrow Raiders

Widnes Vikings 40 v 12Toronto Wolfpack

York City Knights 22 v 23 Bradford Bulls

I've been telling anyone who'll listen, that we will beat TWP! 

Too be fair I have been working long hours, and been in the sun a lot!

Well I'm doing my altruistic bit for the game this weekend.  I'll be introducing a local York family to RL who have never seen a game before.  They asked me who should they support come Sunday... I told them York City Knights of course!  Their local team.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

24 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Well I'm doing my altruistic bit for the game this weekend.  I'll be introducing a local York family to RL who have never seen a game before.  They asked me who should they support come Sunday... I told them York City Knights of course!  Their local team.

Mad love and respect to you my mate! ?

9 hours ago, Lamport Life said:

It's been pretty apparent for a while that the Wolfpack play up or down to the level of competition from week to week.

I don't get this. Are you saying that Toronto played "down" to Fev's level last week? And what about the hammering in Toulouse, who when they're on form are arguably the second best team in the division?

TWP have been doing just enough to win ugly recently. Barring the Dewsbury game at Lamport we haven't turned it on recently. We had to dig deep against Fev and Toulouse was a win by two scores. Is this a case of playing to a level of the opposition or a dip in form? I do not include Fev and Toulouse in this either.  The handling errors recently have been a major factor in not putting games to bed early.  Whether true or not it appears that TWP are coasting against the so called weaker teams and not playing to where we would expect them to. The better sides haven't allowed us to do so. Certainly makes for an interesting play off .

1 hour ago, Canis Lupus said:

TWP have been doing just enough to win ugly recently. Barring the Dewsbury game at Lamport we haven't turned it on recently. We had to dig deep against Fev and Toulouse was a win by two scores. Is this a case of playing to a level of the opposition or a dip in form? I do not include Fev and Toulouse in this either.  The handling errors recently have been a major factor in not putting games to bed early.  Whether true or not it appears that TWP are coasting against the so called weaker teams and not playing to where we would expect them to. The better sides haven't allowed us to do so. Certainly makes for an interesting play off .

This kind of playoff league system is all about pacing yourself, with the players Toronto have I'm fully expecting them to start moving through the gears as the season draws to a close, especially with McDermott coaching who has been a master of getting teams to peak at the business end of the year. 

Toronto are much better placed this year than with Rowley coaching who has always struggled to get a team up for the post season, you only have to look at the similarities between 2015/2016 Leigh and 2018/2019 Toronto. In the former years for both teams they put everything into every game and tailed off as the fatigue set in towards of the year, 2016 Leigh were scraping wins against mid table teams and looked scratchy for the most part until the 8s when the players upped the intensity. I expect a similar result for Toronto.

Certainly hope so as some of the games have been frustrating. Hammering sides week in week out does not make for good entertainment but TWP need to keep standards high throughout the playoffs as there are teams who can take you down if you are not on your game. There seems to be signs of resting players to keep them fresh / hungry already . With Ryan , Adam and Cory at Leigh again it looks set for a fun last game of the regular season.

Bulls' 19-man squad v York City Knights: Joe Brown, Rhys Evans, Connor Farrell, George Flanagan, Dalton Grant, Sam Hallas, Joe Keyes, Liam Kirk, Jordan Lilley, Jon Magrin, Elliot Minchella, Ross Oakes, Ross Peltier, Brandon Pickersgill, Ethan Ryan, Matthew Storton, Jake Webster, Matty Wildie, Mikey Wood.

Kear has dropped Matt Garside and still no place in the squad for Callum Bustin (injured?), Colton Roche  and Steve Crossley (both injured). Presumably Mikey Wood will play but we still look light on bash.

Not been to York for years, though I don't remember  it to be a a big pitch. Rhys Evans and Ethan Ryan are apparently fit ... so we might have a bit of an edge in the backs and some open space would help.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

29 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Bulls' 19-man squad v York City Knights: Joe Brown, Rhys Evans, Connor Farrell, George Flanagan, Dalton Grant, Sam Hallas, Joe Keyes, Liam Kirk, Jordan Lilley, Jon Magrin, Elliot Minchella, Ross Oakes, Ross Peltier, Brandon Pickersgill, Ethan Ryan, Matthew Storton, Jake Webster, Matty Wildie, Mikey Wood.

Kear has dropped Matt Garside and still no place in the squad for Callum Bustin (injured?), Colton Roche  and Steve Crossley (both injured). Presumably Mikey Wood will play but we still look light on bash.

Not been to York for years, though I don't remember  it to be a a big pitch. Rhys Evans and Ethan Ryan are apparently fit ... so we might have a bit of an edge in the backs and some open space would help.

For what it's worth Wolford, the pitch is the same size for both teams. You sound like Virat Kohli moaning about the size of the boundaries when England played India in the World Cup.

9 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

They don't play at Clarence Street anymore!

12 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

For what it's worth Wolford, the pitch is the same size for both teams. You sound like Virat Kohli moaning about the size of the boundaries when England played India in the World Cup.

3 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

They don't play at Clarence Street anymore!

13 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Not played at Clarence St for 30 years, B.C. is a wide pitch.

Just checked on Wikipedia. 64m is not a wide pitch.

Last time I went to either Bootgham Crescent or Clarence Street (not sure which pitch or year but Gary Smith was your star player) was when we played in winter. By some strange phenomenon, when they switched the floodlights on in the second half, it appeared to get darker.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived