20-21 Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/07/2019 at 12:40, John Drake said:

SUNDAY 21ST JULY 

Widnes Vikings v Toronto Wolfpack KO 5.35pm (TV)

Anyone expecting to auto record Widnes v Toronto beware.
It is classed as Championship Rugby Union.on the sky listings and so will not record automatically.
I fell for this a few weeks ago for another Championship game :?

On 20/07/2019 at 11:15, Gav Wilson said:

Bootham Crescent was one time the widest pitch in the football league.

Bit of useless trivia for you there.

As stated last time you posted this, this must have been before the current stands were built, because today it's narrower than most grounds in the Football League.

It's a few metres short of being a full width RL pitch and quite a few metres short of a full length RL pitch. Not sure why you need to be defensive about it - plenty of other grounds aren't full size either.

1 hour ago, wilsontown said:

York 25-24 Bradford. Absolutely exhausted after watching that, I feel like I've played.

Well done to Bradford as well, there was only the width of a post between the two sides today.

According to the ever reliable oracle of Mick Gledhill, the Bulls were robbed when the hooter sounded 20 seconds too early! ?

Just to confirm how timekeeping works in the championship; there’s a representative from each club doing the timekeeping at each game, each has a stopwatch, they agree how long is left, they agree when to stop the clock when the ref calls time off, they agree when to restart time, and most importantly they agree when to blow the final hooter. If the hooter sounded 20 seconds early at Bootham Crescent today, it’s because both the York Knights timekeeper AND the Bradford timekeeper agreed that time was up. 

Sorry for the YCK player abusing the head injury system. Hope he gets his bloodied broken nose seen to at York hospital ASAP. 

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Widnes fans booing Toronto at the trophy presentation,what's that about.

No idea, I made a swift exit before the presentation

Why not present the trophy at their own ground though? I thought that was the norm 

29 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Just to confirm how timekeeping works in the championship; there’s a representative from each club doing the timekeeping at each game, each has a stopwatch, they agree how long is left, they agree when to stop the clock when the ref calls time off, they agree when to restart time, and most importantly they agree when to blow the final hooter. If the hooter sounded 20 seconds early at Bootham Crescent today, it’s because both the York Knights timekeeper AND the Bradford timekeeper agreed that time was up. 

Sorry for the YCK player abusing the head injury system. Hope he gets his bloodied broken nose seen to at York hospital ASAP. 

Timekeeping in the Championship and SL hasn't worked like that for quite a few years but with an official timekeeper appointed by the RFL. For your game today it was D Mitchell. I believe L1 still uses club timekeepers(?)

Archived