Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

20-21 Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

On 19/07/2019 at 14:06, LeytherRob said:

This kind of playoff league system is all about pacing yourself, with the players Toronto have I'm fully expecting them to start moving through the gears as the season draws to a close, especially with McDermott coaching who has been a master of getting teams to peak at the business end of the year. 

Toronto are much better placed this year than with Rowley coaching who has always struggled to get a team up for the post season, you only have to look at the similarities between 2015/2016 Leigh and 2018/2019 Toronto. In the former years for both teams they put everything into every game and tailed off as the fatigue set in towards of the year, 2016 Leigh were scraping wins against mid table teams and looked scratchy for the most part until the 8s when the players upped the intensity. I expect a similar result for Toronto.

Leigh had to up their intensity because they where playing against SL clubs. That’s not the case this season.

Intensity is lacking with TWP. Because they don’t have those big hit out games and it was the same for Leigh.

The intensity of SL had to be created off the park. Paul Cooke being the mastermind of that.

TWP certainly have the more experienced squad but I haven’t seen a rise in their intensity.

On 17/07/2019 at 12:40, John Drake said:

SUNDAY 21ST JULY 

Widnes Vikings v Toronto Wolfpack KO 5.35pm (TV)

Anyone expecting to auto record Widnes v Toronto beware.
It is classed as Championship Rugby Union.on the sky listings and so will not record automatically.
I fell for this a few weeks ago for another Championship game :?

• Thanks 1

York 25-24 Bradford. Absolutely exhausted after watching that, I feel like I've played.

Well done to Bradford as well, there was only the width of a post between the two sides today.

Edited by wilsontown
  • Like 2

On 20/07/2019 at 11:15, Gav Wilson said:

Bootham Crescent was one time the widest pitch in the football league.

Bit of useless trivia for you there.

As stated last time you posted this, this must have been before the current stands were built, because today it's narrower than most grounds in the Football League.

It's a few metres short of being a full width RL pitch and quite a few metres short of a full length RL pitch. Not sure why you need to be defensive about it - plenty of other grounds aren't full size either.

good game this widnes12 toronto 4 some great rugby.

Edited by my missus

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

toronto in just on halftime 12-8

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

1 hour ago, wilsontown said:

York 25-24 Bradford. Absolutely exhausted after watching that, I feel like I've played.

Well done to Bradford as well, there was only the width of a post between the two sides today.

According to the ever reliable oracle of Mick Gledhill, the Bulls were robbed when the hooter sounded 20 seconds too early! 🤣

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

According to the ever reliable oracle of Mick Gledhill, the Bulls were robbed when the hooter sounded 20 seconds too early! 🤣

What a pity.

• Haha 3

4500 at York.

Hooter blew 20 seconds early, discrepancy  regarding a foot in touch for York and then  the head knock rules bent.  🤭

Edited by Lowdesert

28 minutes ago, newbe said:

See Sky cocking up again with there description F#÷×!=%g Rar Rar15637297081741755735882478217753.thumb.jpg.c22945eff7803274e64c45c58d6c6cb4.jpg

Is that BT or something? I've got Sky and it doesn't say union on mine so.. 

After a drop goal by Widnes, the Wolfpack take a 5 point lead. 5 mins to go

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

26 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

4500 at York.

Hooter blew 20 seconds early, discrepancy  regarding a foot in touch for York and then  the head knock rules bent.  🤭

🤣🤣🤣. Obviously upset then

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Good performance by the Chemics there. Play like that every week and they won't lose many. 3 800 there, which is decent considering what's been going  on.

Just to confirm how timekeeping works in the championship; there’s a representative from each club doing the timekeeping at each game, each has a stopwatch, they agree how long is left, they agree when to stop the clock when the ref calls time off, they agree when to restart time, and most importantly they agree when to blow the final hooter. If the hooter sounded 20 seconds early at Bootham Crescent today, it’s because both the York Knights timekeeper AND the Bradford timekeeper agreed that time was up. 

Sorry for the YCK player abusing the head injury system. Hope he gets his bloodied broken nose seen to at York hospital ASAP. 

• Like 1