21 Jul: SL: London Broncos v St Helens KO 3pm

Who will win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/07/19 at 14:00

As a Wakey fan, I was gutted to see the Saints lineup today but if we are relegated, it’ll be down to the two London losses, the close Hull KR loss, the shoddy recent performances and, of course, the injuries that the squad isn’t developed enough to cover.

It wouldn’t be down to Saints fielding a weakened team in one game. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what you get when you give each club 30 plus fixtures a season and no breaks.

Those that have the luxury of resting players will do so. And they will do so when it suits them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think LMS got binned for the actual offence, I didn't notice any dissent. And it was definitely a penalty, despite what the most one eyed set of fans I've come across shouted.

A low quality game though, neither team looked too fluid in attack, Saints made more mistakes which made the difference. I've seen him twice this season and Welsby is atrocious, no idea if he's great at academy level or not, but makes huge errors in SL.

LMS was superb, best player on the pitch. Williams, Yates and Pitts stood out for us I think.

Ive mixed feelings on this, part of me thinks Saints can play who they want, part of me thinks a club should have to play its strongest since de possible.

But the whole thing is moot anyway, having relegation when there isn’t straight home and away fixtures is inherently flawed and not a fair playing ground and not just for the teams at the bottom 

14 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Strange comment about the referee. I didn’t get that impression nor did I think he was particularly weighted to London. He appeared inexperienced but not necessarily biased towards anyone. 

LMS is a clown. He can do good stuff but let’s him down with idiocy like getting sin binned. 

I give you the shortest 10 ever, BUT we won and thats enough for me

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Alex Walker has been immense. He can do better than Wakey to be honest 

Yeah, yeah!  We know.  So can Tom Johnstone, Bill Tupou, Dave Fifita etc etc etc.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I've not seen the game, but my aim from a Saints perspective was to give it a good go. We seemed to do that from the radio commentary, so that's all we can ask. It was always going to be tough with 3 players on debut, another 18 year old at full back and one half back on the field.

No drama for me with the rotated team. We're in the sport to win trophies. This week's match, with us 10 points clear at the top, had no bearing on that. Next week's game is a semi-final. Yes, we are playing Halifax but with our semi-final record, Holbrook is right to rest players beforehand where the opportunity allows, especially given that our last 3 matches have been against 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the league.

Justin Holbrook will only care about Saints and winning trophies this year and he will do whatever we can to further that aim. The impact on other club's is immaterial. To be frank, it is not our concern that other teams need us to beat London to ease their self-inflicted relegation worries.

I'll have the popcorn at the ready when we play the same team against Leeds a week before Wembley (should we get there).

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m obviously not as gifted as you in telling 10 metres. I didn’t see anything particularly wrong with the defence of either side. 

Its not really a gift, look at the lines on the pitch, separated by 10 metres. Even you could gauge the consistency of the refereeing based on that absolute guideline.

1 minute ago, snapski said:

Someone posted that Saints deserved to play a weakened side in a nothing game.

no Super League game should be a nothing game in July. The structure must be terribly wrong.

The structure is not the reason why Saints are 10 points clear at the top, have a cup semi-final next week and felt like their best chance to win trophies this season was to rest their top players.

1 minute ago, snapski said:

no Super League game should be a nothing game in July. The structure must be terribly wrong.

The structure is terribly wrong. Because of the cockeyed fixture list due to all the clubs being greedy and not having 15 teams in the competition they need a play off to find a champion. So why not a play off for relegation 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 minute ago, DEANO said:

The structure is terribly wrong. Because of the cockeyed fixture list due to all the clubs being greedy and not having 15 teams in the competition they need a play off to find a champion. So why not a play off for relegation 

15 team competition?

Novel. 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

21 minutes ago, snapski said:

It's not a 'nothing ' game to us, it's just less important than next week's game, for obvious reasons and that we can consider this game to be less important than the next one is in part because we are 10 points clear at the top.  If we were neck and neck with Warrington then possibly we wouldn't have rested so many, just those who have injury histories which means playing on a 4G pitch puts them at risk (I think there are three such players).  

Funny atmosphere at ET today.. Obviously wasn't as much of a shock as previously...... Game was poor quality but nice to see Walker a LOT more confident under the ball today and generally much better D-line organisation. Williams really does carry like an absolute beast currently--would love to see his metres- made plenty of errors though.

Yates is an absolute gun in defence... Must have made 50 tackles... Starting to think he'll be the one we miss most rather than Abdull.... Who by the way is getting fatter every time I see him... Too many curries down Southall maybe? 

50 minutes ago, snapski said:

Not the fault of the structure that the other so-called top teams have allowed Saints run away with the league.

I happen to think the structure is wrong - but not for that reason!

You know reading this thread on the way home by my mobile, I get the distinct impression that London are never allowed to play better than the opposition. For anyone who was actually there it was a pretty even first half, in the second half there were were two line breaks by Richardson the second resulting in a try puling the scoreline back to 14-12. At that point the game could have gone either way, but London owned the last 20 minutes of the game and 32-12 is a reflection of that.

Defending Justin Holbrook, he makes decisions on the basis of what's best for his club no-one else. Today was an opportunity for senior players to show they could step up and for the juniors to put their hand up and say "pick me I deserve to wear the Red V". He would have learned a lot from today about character and ability. LMS turned up and Richardson showed flashes. No-one else made a compelling case for inclusion.

For London, if Danny Ward keeps the club up then he should be nailed on for coach of the year. There was obviously work on the defence as the line held firm against St Helens. Nobody jumping out the line creating space. Players playing with the desperation the Broncos position in the table demands. As I posted earlier, each game the Broncos play now is a Cup Final of sorts - win and your in (Super League), Having to win consecutive games forcuses the mind and I will say now this was the most complete London performance this season.

I still think London will go down and the Alex Walker "Try" that wasn't at Huddersfield will prove decisive at the end of the day but London neeed to take it deep and if relegation remains undecided by the time of the Leeds game then It's all to play for and London can still be the masters of their own destiny, something which most posters would not have contemplated at the commencement of this season.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Heaven forbid London win a game when other sides have been changing coaches, swapping players, signing new teams, tapping London players and loaning other SL players left and right.

Good game and London good value for the win.

Of course it knocks the integrity of the competition that a team plays such a weakened team when relegation is a big factor.  Last time Saints played a reasonable team but this time everybody I spoke to predicted London to win, given the saints team selection.

If no punishment it is disappointing. It was only the other week when saints coach moaned about sky not showing the top teams in the competition.... Not sure about what it says to the paying public based on his previous comments about showcasing the sport - paying money to effectively watch an "academy +"  team or what it says about the competition to not put out a stronger team.

Yep, they should have to select the same team, unless injuries certified by an RL doctor for all other games. Yep no chance of happening but what a ###### sport we have. Pity we don't have a culture of suing in sport, if only to bring the sport in the spot light for integrity....

Yes, I am a saints fan but it stinks for me...

Archived