19 Jul: SL: Hull Kingston Rovers v Huddersfield Giants KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/07/19 at 18:45

48 minutes ago, Ant said:

A 20 minute spell in the second half saw the Giants smother HKR in defence, two nervy teams low on luck.

Isnt it funny that whenever it's a close game some fans always say "two poor teams" no matter who is watching.

It ain't funny at all for some of us Ant, albeit tis predictable.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ant said:

Isn't it funny that whenever it's a close game some fans always say "two poor teams" no matter who is watching.

Not only when it is a close game. We see many of the same sentiments expressed when the score's one-sided.

Basically, some people get their kicks from deluding themselves that they are "telling it like it is", when they are just regurgitating the same old lines every match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

Smith has worked wonders in a short time. 

Has he though? I thought they looked dire tonight, yes they've won 2 ‘cup finals’ since he’s taken over but they remain 2nd bottom with a terrible points difference 

thats not working wonders in my eyes

In the end we were nowhere near good enough. We missed Parcell (and he only played 2 bloody games). 

Addy and Atkin are distinctly average in comparison. Our go forward was limited to half way for many of our sets and you can't even begin to set up for points when you're 50 metres away from the line on the fourth and fifth.

Defensively we were excellent and held Huddersfield off multiple times. 

We have 6 games and we need 6 points bare minimum as it stands for me, and I say this without knowing how the rest of the weekend's fixtures will play out.

I'm still confident because we have seen a major upturn in performance recently - so I guess that tells you how poorly I thought we were pre-Tony Smith.

I didn't think it was too bad a game. Both sides' defence looked too good for the respective attacks but I suppose that might tell you there wasn't a great deal of spark or creativity in said attacks. Was surprised Thaler didn't go to the VR when the Hudds player might have grounded the ball a tad short, would have been a close call that one.

Agree with HKR A D, Parcell being injured left a huge void in Rovers' attack, still scratching my head as to why Leeds let him go.

The next round of fixtures looks interesting, especially as Saints are fielding an under strength team tomorrow and could well come up short in the Smoke.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

It was a far better game than some are saying. Good defence, result in doubt, the better team just got over the line.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Not only when it is a close game. We see many of the same sentiments expressed when the score's one-sided.

Basically, some people get their kicks from deluding themselves that they are "telling it like it is", when they are just regurgitating the same old lines every match.

Yes but at the end of the day the Giants will be over the moon while the Robins will be as sick as a parrot. They have to take it one game at a time.,

rldfsignature.jpg

30 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Yes but at the end of the day the Giants will be over the moon while the Robins will be as sick as a parrot. They have to take it one game at a time.,

Actions speak louder than words, you can't please everyone.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Speaking of Rovers missing Parcell (and I'll agree I dont know why Leeds let him go, apart from the quota slot) 

Giants were missing...

Uate, Cudjoe, Turner, Joe Wardle, Clough, Olly Roberts, Fergie...and that's just the 8 who would actually play if fit

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Speaking of Rovers missing Parcell (and I'll agree I dont know why Leeds let him go, apart from the quota slot) 

Giants were missing...

Uate, Cudjoe, Turner, Joe Wardle, Clough, Olly Roberts, Fergie...and that's just the 8 who would actually play if fit

But that's the nature of the game, you are never going to field your best 17 due to injuries, it's how you build a squad to cope with those that defines your team, if you put the majority of your salary cap into a best 17 then you can expect to struggle further  down the line as knocks and tired bodies accumulate?

Just now, Clogiron said:

But that's the nature of the game, you are never going to field your best 17 due to injuries, it's how you build a squad to cope with those that defines your team, if you put the majority of your salary cap into a best 17 then you can expect to struggle further  down the line as kocks and tired bodies accumulate?

I dont disagree, I'm just frustrated with some teams having an "injury crisis" when missing 2 or 3 players, but the Giants just get slated with no mention of missing players 

And how many teams in SL can take out 8 first team players and still be confident of winning? 

Will Saint win this weekend resting 9? 

Winning teams are teams that use least players, not the ones with most depth 

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Giants were missing...

Not to mention Ikahihifo, Frawley and possibly Grix in contention, but we seem to be one club whose missing players, the media and the RL world don't seem to mention.

But to be fair, considering we bring nothing to the game, our youngsters are doing us proud at the moment and we can hopefully build a team around young, homegrown, British talent, unlike the other clubs who bring lots to the game by splashing out on average imports etc.

As for the game, it was scrappy, not the most skillful game I've ever been to, but in terms of excitement and nervousness and game being in the balance etc it was pretty good.

Again, our young lads stood up well and performed well again, but also our experienced guys stood up too, Gaskell, Ta'ai, Jerry, Murphy were exceptional and set the example for the youngsters to follow.

Our defence at times was superb, our brainfarts were still there though but we also had the best half on the field in Gaskell who terrorised rovers!

It was nervy and we showed good character, but we got there, a previous Giants side would have lost that game

I'll agree, other games we would have let Rovers score at the death, Jake Wardle looks the business, Gasky should be getting way more plaudits than he does but then he's at the wrong club for that.

One thing is, I'll look forward to the Leeds game a lot more now

23 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Has he though? I thought they looked dire tonight, yes they've won 2 ‘cup finals’ since he’s taken over but they remain 2nd bottom with a terrible points difference 

thats not working wonders in my eyes

I think so. Marked change in attitude, motivation etc  How many games has he been in charge for?

7 hours ago, Ant said:

I'll agree, other games we would have let Rovers score at the death, Jake Wardle looks the business, Gasky should be getting way more plaudits than he does but then he's at the wrong club for that.

One thing is, I'll look forward to the Leeds game a lot more now

To be fair to Jake, Joe said himself a few years back that Jake was the better player!

And to those of us who watch the academy regularly it's just carrying on from the last 2 decent seasons with the Senior boys, English, Hewitt, Wardle and Russell, even Dom Young did alright in his debut at Saints.

On 19/07/2019 at 21:53, Hullfan said:

What an absolute terrible atmosphere in that stadium, I used think these fans was the best at supporting there team. No no no no no way after tonight. Utterly poor support. 

Ps sorry to the bloke who I woke up when my Mrs rang me and my ringtone woke him up. Should av been on silent like the KR fans was

As the Giants fans were taunting them with - "all you do is boo" they booed again so not totally silent ?

Archived