Reserve Grade - NCL

Will the players playing reserves be signed as pro? I know Whitehaven are wanting to run one but for the life of me cant see how they could afford to sign everyone as pro and pay them. If they arent signed as pro, I cant see them picking up the best talent from local NCL clubs, same probably for the other teams below super league. 

I'm not sure about the cost of running a reserve grade but I can't imagine picking up an additional 10-15 will be particularly cheap, perhaps on a pay as you play basis for the bare minimum.

Hopefully it doesn't have too much of an affect on the NCL or the wider amateur game as a whole, I do on the whole see the return of the Reserve grade as a positive.

2 hours ago, LightningWB said:

I'm not sure about the cost of running a reserve grade but I can't imagine picking up an additional 10-15 will be particularly cheap, perhaps on a pay as you play basis for the bare minimum.

Hopefully it doesn't have too much of an affect on the NCL or the wider amateur game as a whole, I do on the whole see the return of the Reserve grade as a positive.

Pay as you play doesnt seem to interest many amateur players I dont think but only time will tell, Personally I think that pro/semi pro teams should link up with an amateur team(s) who become a feeder club and have that 'pathway' from an early age. Then when players get to open age they can have the choice to continue playing for that club or play for both that club and the reserves, if not signed by the pro club.

On 17/07/2019 at 15:42, LightningWB said:

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/913/reserve-grade-to-return-in-2020

Will be interesting to see the SL clubs raid all the top young players from the NCL. Perhaps i'll be wrong, and it could open the conversation again surrounding dual-reg in the NCL.

Interesting times...

NCL will accept dual reg next season and the reserve league will slaughter the amateur game across the board.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

4 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Pay as you play doesnt seem to interest many amateur players I dont think but only time will tell, Personally I think that pro/semi pro teams should link up with an amateur team(s) who become a feeder club and have that 'pathway' from an early age. Then when players get to open age they can have the choice to continue playing for that club or play for both that club and the reserves, if not signed by the pro club.

In an ideal world maybe, the problem is the professionals don't play fair.

18 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Will the players playing reserves be signed as pro? I know Whitehaven are wanting to run one but for the life of me cant see how they could afford to sign everyone as pro and pay them. If they arent signed as pro, I cant see them picking up the best talent from local NCL clubs, same probably for the other teams below super league. 

No they will be on amateur forms so we got told earlier this week.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

No they will be on amateur forms so we got told earlier this week.

Big ask to sign players on those forms, lads training twice a week with their own club then twice with reserves.... and then games clashing as I assume they'll both be played Saturday... I hope it works but I hope all these things have been thought about in the process! 

48 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Big ask to sign players on those forms, lads training twice a week with their own club then twice with reserves.... and then games clashing as I assume they'll both be played Saturday... I hope it works but I hope all these things have been thought about in the process! 

LOL. I'm being serious here, how old are you because this concept isn't exactly brand new, I'm not sure what fancy wording they'll use to entice amateurs into reserve grade, but you'll find that they'll only be training with the reserves and I'm sure they'll get told not to train or play with their amateur club, forget it being a free gangway where the amateur clubs will be able to recall a player, the sad thing will be that the amateur clubs will get zilch compensation.

I have a brother who’s 17 and playing in the ncl.

he, among others from his team in the youth, were unlucky not to get scouted considering how good they were. 

It’s a second chance for players who did miss out. Also gives cat 3 academy players (college level) to have a chance to step up too. Got to be a good thing? 

Also it could increase the retention rates from 16’s to 18’s?  Which would then provide more players to play in the ncl

Two good points there Rugbylad.First point giving college level players a chance to   hopefully step up and secondly not losing 16 to 18 year olds to the game who suddenly discover beer and women! I am interested to see what the outcome will be? I go to a NCL game every Saturday and I am worried about the state of things to come.

On 18/07/2019 at 19:13, Marauder said:

NCL will accept dual reg next season and the reserve league will slaughter the amateur game across the board.

It will never ge voted in as that in the sense of the word. Although the RFL have made inroads allowing clubs outside SL to initially sign players for their reserves who can also stay at community level.

Before this season started they then allowed Hull and Wakey to sign the players on same forms. We have a lad at Wakey at Dudley Hill and I think it stinks. The clubs in Hull royally kicked off about it before the season and were well within their rights to do so massively

3 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

It will never ge voted in as that in the sense of the word. Although the RFL have made inroads allowing clubs outside SL to initially sign players for their reserves who can also stay at community level.

Before this season started they then allowed Hull and Wakey to sign the players on same forms. We have a lad at Wakey at Dudley Hill and I think it stinks. The clubs in Hull royally kicked off about it before the season and were well within their rights to do so massively

Like the NCL management the RFL will keep probing until they get what they want and then have you all sign some legal document so you can't go back.

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Like the NCL management the RFL will keep probing until they get what they want and then have you all sign some legal document so you can't go back.

The NCL is and always has been a members league, any changes like that would have to be voted in. If the rules change it will be because the majority want it

I doubt there’s even close to a majority that wants Dual Reg arrangement with the pro leagues

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

The NCL is and always has been a members league, any changes like that would have to be voted in. If the rules change it will be because the majority want it

I doubt there’s even close to a majority that wants Dual Reg arrangement with the pro leagues

God knows how many times you've made the same statement over the years, but gradually the control is going to the RFL, as for dual reg, wait till the package is all dressed up to look in favour of the NCL clubs.

18 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

Thin end of the wedge.

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

God knows how many times you've made the same statement over the years, but gradually the control is going to the RFL, as for dual reg, wait till the package is all dressed up to look in favour of the NCL clubs.

Having been involved with an NCL club and been to countless meetings over the years, I feel justified in my assessment.

Even if dressed up as you call it, it will still be the clubs choice to adopt it.  The RFL can't enforce it on the league any shape or form.  That seems to be something you won't accept and I'm not sure why

16 hours ago, Spidey said:

Having been involved with an NCL club and been to countless meetings over the years, I feel justified in my assessment.

Even if dressed up as you call it, it will still be the clubs choice to adopt it.  The RFL can't enforce it on the league any shape or form.  That seems to be something you won't accept and I'm not sure why

Never said it wouldn't be the clubs choice, but it's the choice of the management to how it's put across and also influenced, Don King was the master at it.

On 30/07/2019 at 22:48, Spidey said:

I agree. Dual reg is not likely soon.

Where a player chooses to play is entirely up to him and there should be free gangway ( remember that term ? )

I expect that Champ  and to a  much greater extent Champ 1 will be moving towards  amateur based squads ( 'expenses ' only ) as the Reserve SL  competition kicks in and players are sucked  back up into the system. Duel reg is likely to be largely a thing of the past.

NCL will seek to manage / influence  this new environment as best they can from a players / clubs /competition perspective.

I  know the RFL are being receptive to dialogue on the subject.

8 minutes ago, del capo said:

I agree. Dual reg is not likely soon.

Where a player chooses to play is entirely up to him and there should be free gangway ( remember that term ? )

I expect that Champ  and to a  much greater extent Champ 1 will be moving towards  amateur based squads ( 'expenses ' only ) as the Reserve SL  competition kicks in and players are sucked  back up into the system. Duel reg is likely to be largely a thing of the past.

NCL will seek to manage / influence  this new environment as best they can from a players / clubs /competition perspective.

I  know the RFL are being receptive to dialogue on the subject.

Personally I cant see them getting rid of duel reg even when the reserve league starts back up

4 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Personally I cant see them getting rid of duel reg even when the reserve league starts back up

SL reserves will be stronger than Champ 1 and well worth watching. SL clubs will want their players back ( they are more often than not paying their wages anyway ) Dual reg will remain for the kids not yet ready for reserves. Dual reg for Champ / on loan will still feature but in a much more considered way.

6 minutes ago, Rammo23 said:

Hull fc tried taking about eight players from one team last year without talking to the club first, when the club talked to them about it and what they proposed they were told quite categorically where to go. 

Under new proposals SL clubs can have 2 amateurs only. If players sign , on whatever daft or cheap arrangements then that is obviously up to them.

The present  Humberside arrangement was  ( I am told ) a one off because of their friendly reserves activity this year.

But yes I agree a poor way to  approach jointly promoting the game instead of one of  purely self interest....

Archived