An average crowd of 11,206 isn’t enough to sustain a club according to Brad Fittler, who says the Gold Coast Titans should be relocated. Is this the lowest average in the NRL?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/titans/plummeting-crowds-sacked-coach-fittler-calls-for-titans-relocation/news-story/84775a1a611c0b7882a404cb6b3461b3

9 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

An average crowd of 11,206 isn’t enough to sustain a club according to Brad Fittler, who says the Gold Coast Titans should be relocated. Is this the lowest average in the NRL?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/titans/plummeting-crowds-sacked-coach-fittler-calls-for-titans-relocation/news-story/84775a1a611c0b7882a404cb6b3461b3

The Dogs and Manly have been nothing short of a car crash this year. Why are there no calls for them to move? Oh yeah, they are Sydney clubs.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Curious, I thought the thread was Leeds DR movements to date.

I thought it was a guess at how far over the salary cap Wigan will "accidentally" go this season. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

St George Illawarra are currently running at an average of 10,419.

Just above the Titans, Cronulla have an average of 11,881 and Brad Fittlers old team Penrith are at 12,216. 

When the Titans started, they were averaging over 20,000 for a couple of years, which is higher than the likes of the Dragons, Sharks, Panthers or most of the Sydney clubs have ever achieved. 

Since 2011 the Titans have only made the top 8 once. That must surely have an affect on attendances, and is an interesting comparison with some of the much more illustrious Sydney teams. 

The Sydney based players, clubs, coaches and media will obviously do and say anything to maintain their status quo of clubs. More teams outside of NSW please rather than just shuffling one of the few existing ones, in the sixth biggest city too, elsewhere.

Well when clubs couldn't be bothered and aren't interested investing into fans to turn up and just expect people to come of course it's going to end up looking like a riverside picnic.

That's why in the nrl you look at the games the crowds look thin across the stadium. The clubs couldn't care less.

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

An average crowd of 11,206 isn’t enough to sustain a club according to Brad Fittler, who says the Gold Coast Titans should be relocated.

Fittler said: "There’s 4000 people turn up to watch them each week". While I'm sure he'd say it's hyperbole, the Gold Coast seems to be the one team about which people are happy to unquestioningly accept any old wive's tale. Manly draw worse crowds than Gold Coast, and if he'd said it about them there'd be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The Gold Coast has produced a ton of players over the years. The players that have come out of Keebra Park High is astonishing.

The Titans need coaches and management who are prepared to recruit and develop a core of Queensland players.

The Titans are a convenient whipping boy. Their on field record, commercial strength and crowd support is on par with a number of Sydney clubs... The West's Tigers have been a basket case for most of their history, Cronulla constantly lurch from financial disaster to cheating scandal in front of ordinary crowds, Manly are broke and their ground is sub standard, and so on. The Titans need to get it together, but they're not the only one.

5 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

How come the Titans have been underperforming for so long? Are they lacking in investment? In youth products? Seems unusual for an NRL team to not reach the top 8 for so long.

I think it's been longer for the Tigers, and similarly unsuccessful decades for the Warriors and Parramatta. 

I think the Gold Coast has a culture problem. I live there and hear all kinds of rumors about players out on the ###### at all hours, then there was the drugs scandal a few short years back with players charged over cocaine supply and possession. They seem to have a real issue creating a decent, professional culture.

That’s possibly linked to the party culture that is an inherent part of the Gold Coast lifestyle.

Maybe they need a Craig Bellamy type to kick the club into shape.

As for crowds, stadium location has a part to play in that. It’s a nightmare to get to and there’s no parking. The majority of people would need to get two buses to get there, and queuing for the shuttle buses afterwards is a pain in the ###### (and given their’s no leagues club/bar  where you can go after to wait for the queues to die down doesn’t help). Yes it’s next to a train station but if you live coastal as I do, it’s a 25-minute drive to a train station to catch the train so that ain’t happening 

Interesting you say that about the players. It does seem to match what we're seeing on the field - and to be honest, what we've seen ever since Jarryd Hayne joined the club. It was a shocking decision to sack Neil Henry over Hayne, and just as bad to appoint Brennan. I heard Martin Lang talking about the players doing things like throwing tackling bags over the fence, just to make training staff go get them... What sort of coach lets players carry on like that? Unbelievably arrogant and disrespectful. Hopefully this incident draws a line in the sand. Any player who's attitude isn't right should be sacked. If someone like Kevin Proctor doesn't want to apply himself like he did at Melbourne, get rid of him. Kallum Watkins will be one of the leaders they can build this new culture around.

7 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Titans is such a plastic name seemingly with no connection to the area, they need a rebrand and to play some games in Brisbane when the Broncos are away.

Yep the Gold Coast Seagulls was a real hit with the locals back in the 1990s :/ 

I'd bet you anything that the "plan" to move the Titans to Brisbane was leaked to the media by the Titans themselves.

The whole thing stinks of a cynical ploy by the Titans to make it look like they are/would consider relocating to Brisbane in an attempt to try and scare Stadiums Queensland into giving them a better deal on rent by threatening to abandon Robina, which would leave it as a massive white elephant with no tenants.

Even if the bid by Ribot and Johns was being seriously considered by the Titans (which again I highly doubt it is) it's a terrible idea anyway. It'd only achieve in ####### everybody off. The people in Brisbane wouldn't support the Titans in numbers because they are from the GC and they don't want to be associated with that, and the current fans on the GC will dump the club because they are trying to do a soft relocation to Brisbane, which will leave the club with no fan base. 

If you were going to relocate the Titans to Brisbane, and for the record I don't think they should be relocated, then the only way you could do it would be with a full re-brand, keeping the Titans brand would just alienate the potential new fan base for generations.

But none of it matters anyway because so long as the Suns exist the NRL won't allow the Titans to be touched, it'd be a massive PR disaster for the NRL and a boon that the AFL could only dream of if the Titans were to die/relocate and the Suns left to continue.

Archived