Andy Burnham’s Social Impact Report

It sounds like it might be to consider the combined impacts of professional clubs and foundations and community clubs. In addition to measuring their economic impact, it will outline the positive social impacts made, and social capital generated - in areas such as health outcomes, the reduction in crime, improved education and employment outcomes, improved life satisfaction, volunteering, social cohesiveness, identity and aspiration.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

It shouldn't be a secret that RL clubs often exist in the poorest parts of some of the poorest places in the country. In those communities they do great work. It sets them apart from many other sports clubs that won't go near these places. 

If anything an official report might help amateur RL clubs in deprived areas get some funding. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I know this sounds highly negative, but does anyone know what the point of commissioning this expensive sounding report is?

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55324/andy-burnham-to-launch-a-social-impact-report-for-rugby-league

I doubt it was expensive.

The RFL has worked with the Sport Policy Unit of the Business and Law Faculty at Manchester Metropolitan University to produce a report evidencing the various social impacts of the sport, brought together as "The Rugby League Dividend".

Andy BUrnham is on Radio 2 tomorrow afternoon with Steve Wright, be interesting to here if he gives this a mention.

The report will be a source of evidence of the value of Rugby League clubs at all levels that can be used when applying for Sport England funding, Government and Local Authority Grants and European Union Funding.

Well maybe not the last come November

It could also be used to influence sponsorship deals.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

20 minutes ago, Padge said:

I doubt it was expensive.

The RFL has worked with the Sport Policy Unit of the Business and Law Faculty at Manchester Metropolitan University to produce a report evidencing the various social impacts of the sport, brought together as "The Rugby League Dividend".

Andy BUrnham is on Radio 2 tomorrow afternoon with Steve Wright, be interesting to here if he gives this a mention.

The report will be a source of evidence of the value of Rugby League clubs at all levels that can be used when applying for Sport England funding, Government and Local Authority Grants and European Union Funding.

Well maybe not the last come November

It could also be used to influence sponsorship deals.

Surely Catalans Dragons aren't to be excluded from EU funding whatever happens come November?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Yes but what is the point of doing that, ie what is the objective?

It's all covered in the press release. It's exactly  what you'd expect a forward looking governing body to do.

Bizarre response from some quarters.

The key paragraph, perhaps, is from Rimmer:

Government, statutory and non-statutory funders are increasingly looking to organisations to evidence and evaluate their contribution to society in new ways. This report, and our upcoming Impact Reports, will do that. Our sport has a particularly strong narrative, and increasingly policy makers know that Rugby League is a trusted partner able to make a measurable difference to people in communities who many other sports find harder to reach.”

Rugby league does great work so why shouldn’t the game measure it and be rewarded for it?

“Government, statutory and non-statutory funders are increasingly looking to organisations to evidence and evaluate their contribution to society in new ways.

Politicians asking sport sto prove they're worth having around I wonder if they'll withdraw funding from many on this basis?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What funding do the Government give RL though, other than the World Cup 2021 money which I understand from the BBC podcast this week is guaranteed?

Could be funding from central government, quangos, local government, charities/NGOs or the private sector.

There’s lots of government, statutory and non-statutory funders out there!

42 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What funding do the Government give RL though, other than the World Cup 2021 money which I understand from the BBC podcast this week is guaranteed?

The document you can download on the following link shows over the past ten years Sport England funding of:

£58.8m where RL is the 'Main Sport' in an award

£212.1m where RL is a named sport supporting an award.

https://www.sportengland.org/funding/what-have-we-funded/

3 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Surely Catalans Dragons aren't to be excluded from EU funding whatever happens come November?

Good point, you also have TO and TWP, however I don't know if they will be included in the report, I would guess not, but French teams would not be excluded from applying for or receiving EU funding.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The thread title is actually misleading as this is not a report commissioned by Andy Burnham, he will be merely involved in presenting the results.

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

Social impact is the new big thing. There are lots of grants and public money available to support such activities. The club's however may have to become community interest companies to access it.

Moving to CIC status helps reassure investors and grant givers that it's not going to just go into the pockets of the owners. Many grant givers these days will not give without CIC or Charity status.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Ackroman said:

Social impact is the new big thing. There are lots of grants and public money available to support such activities. The club's however may have to become community interest companies to access it.

Isn’t that what the club Foundations are set up for?

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

That's exactly what they're for. Plus it gives clear separation in the minds of funders, staff, everyone that *this bit* is the professional rugby bit and *this bit over here* is the 'in the community' arm.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Club foundations are always going to be one arm of the pro team though aren't they. They're not going to be much use in helping Eastmoor build new changing rooms or Dewsbury Moor get funding for coaches to go on coaches courses.

Foundations also work in different areas often directly in schools. Regardless they should be hand in  hand.

Archived