Andy Burnham’s Social Impact Report

28 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Club foundations are always going to be one arm of the pro team though aren't they. They're not going to be much use in helping Eastmoor build new changing rooms or Dewsbury Moor get funding for coaches to go on coaches courses.

Foundations also work in different areas often directly in schools. Regardless they should be hand in  hand.

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Club foundations are always going to be one arm of the pro team though aren't they. They're not going to be much use in helping Eastmoor build new changing rooms or Dewsbury Moor get funding for coaches to go on coaches courses.

Foundations also work in different areas often directly in schools. Regardless they should be hand in  hand.

I'm passionate about community investment and I run a C.I.C, although we raise our revenues rather than access grants. I have long thought that RL could really win out by providing community focussed services from health and fitness programs to other projects around diversity and inclusion. Kids should be marching through our stadiums week in/ week out to do sports days, diabetes and cardio programs should be led by the RFL. We should be offering programs on mental health and well being and the Match day could cement the inclusion and identity program.

But what would I know.

8 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

I'm passionate about community investment and I run a C.I.C, although we raise our revenues rather than access grants. I have long thought that RL could really win out by providing community focussed services from health and fitness programs to other projects around diversity and inclusion. Kids should be marching through our stadiums week in/ week out to do sports days, diabetes and cardio programs should be led by the RFL. We should be offering programs on mental health and well being and the Match day could cement the inclusion and identity program.

But what would I know.

I agree and thats great work for a Professional clubs foundation to do - up until a few years ago Leeds Foundation ran a disabled sports programme that didn't include rugby for many years for example. Thats their scope.

For amateur clubs however their focus is going to be slightly different as they are RL clubs first. They should be aiming to show how they are centres of community (especially in some of our areas where they are situated in very diverse communities) and how sport brings people together. Offering social benefits ie kids off the streets doing something positive etc. That doesn't have to be without support from Club Foundations, but should be an independent drive from the amateur clubs and this report hopefully will help legitimise this and aid them in getting funding. Realistically the facilities at a lot of amateur RL clubs need to be improved to help them achieve things they are uniquely placed to do.

Archived