Reserves

RogerT

Why oh why can't Batley and Dewsbury join forces for a reserve team, I have also mentioned this on the Dewsbury forum. 

i wish DR were binned at same time, i know the parent club will need the players for there own team/reserves, but whats to stop clubs not having enough players on the thursday but still send players out on DR for sunday, maybe also limit the loans to 2 players at any one time, lets get back to playing what we see on the day and not a team with 5 wigan lads in or 5 whinos, bin it.please.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

i wish DR were binned at same time, i know the parent club will need the players for there own team/reserves, but whats to stop clubs not having enough players on the thursday but still send players out on DR for sunday, maybe also limit the loans to 2 players at any one time, lets get back to playing what we see on the day and not a team with 5 wigan lads in or 5 whinos, bin it.please.

Couldn't agree more silver back. I think if we were fielding a squad full of d/r and loan players I really wouldn't be too fussed about paying good money to watch the dogs and not recognising half the players. So many teams are losing their identity in search of the holy grail,  only for a season or two later to come down with a bump and financial problems.

3 hours ago, RogerT said:

It was done before with "A" teams, amatuers, trialists and club players.

Amateurs won’t wanna as they enjoy playing with mates and boozing etc 

for me cut the scholarship system if you wanna play with a pro club you can from 17 if they sign you but can play in the u18 league but can still play at amateur level until a pro contract has been signed then move up to reserves etc 

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

Amateurs won’t wanna as they enjoy playing with mates and boozing etc 

for me cut the scholarship system if you wanna play with a pro club you can from 17 if they sign you but can play in the u18 league but can still play at amateur level until a pro contract has been signed then move up to reserves etc 

Have you looked closely at the state of the amateur game at present? Some clubs are in danger of or have already folded due to being unable to raise teams on a regular basis. Some leagues are offering a bonus point for turning up!! Participation levels in ALL sports in the UK have faced a serious decline in recent years and the solution to this isn't obvious. Hence, the question of where SL clubs are going to recruit their players from combined with the hypothetical suggestion of ceasing D/R and limiting loans is very pertinent. Add to that the possibility of Championship clubs running reserve teams and the limitations of supply of suitable players would become very clear in a short time.

I can offer no suggestions of ways to improve this situation in the short or long term.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Have you looked closely at the state of the amateur game at present? Some clubs are in danger of or have already folded due to being unable to raise teams on a regular basis. Some leagues are offering a bonus point for turning up!! Participation levels in ALL sports in the UK have faced a serious decline in recent years and the solution to this isn't obvious. Hence, the question of where SL clubs are going to recruit their players from combined with the hypothetical suggestion of ceasing D/R and limiting loans is very pertinent. Add to that the possibility of Championship clubs running reserve teams and the limitations of supply of suitable players would become very clear in a short time.

I can offer no suggestions of ways to improve this situation in the short or long term.

The National Conference league must be booming then as seen in the last 4/5 years at batley boys has they’ve taken off at open level and it’s gone right through the club down to tots and u7s but then again certain clubs don’t help themselves 

i agree about numbers dropping but that’s down to clubs taking kids at 13/14 and letting them go at 16/17 and not letting them play with their amateur clubs as they are seen as robots  

16 hours ago, ernieone said:

We're are all the players coming from to make Super League and championship reserve teams? 

FEV held trials  and over 60 players put up their hands to play

they came from all different leagues yorkshire pennine ncl college university  et al

paul march (remember him ?) whittled it down to 25 he said most difficult thing he had to do  got enough players to field two teams so if you seek you will find

and for super greed academy going back to under 18's so there will be a glut of 19 year old's not ready for first team needing somewhere to play

Whittled down to 25 and what standard are they? First div/championship or potential super league? 

How will it effect the sides they have come from will it mean more amateur clubs struggling for players or how long before the players decide to go back to playing with there mates.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

4 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

The National Conference league must be booming then as seen in the last 4/5 years at batley boys has they’ve taken off at open level and it’s gone right through the club down to tots and u7s but then again certain clubs don’t help themselves 

i agree about numbers dropping but that’s down to clubs taking kids at 13/14 and letting them go at 16/17 and not letting them play with their amateur clubs as they are seen as robots  

I reccomend that you read Phil Hodgson's column in LE then. He writes about all things happening in amateur RL and paints a grim picture. the problem isn't with the clubs but with players no longer being prepared to play regularly for any particular club. Yes some clubs such as batley Boys or Thornhill Trojans can enjoy mini booms but the overall trend is one of decline. This is true in the Hull leagues, Lancashire, Cumbria and Yorkshire.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I reccomend that you read Phil Hodgson's column in LE then. He writes about all things happening in amateur RL and paints a grim picture. the problem isn't with the clubs but with players no longer being prepared to play regularly for any particular club. Yes some clubs such as batley Boys or Thornhill Trojans can enjoy mini booms but the overall trend is one of decline. This is true in the Hull leagues, Lancashire, Cumbria and Yorkshire.

Because the rules in Yorkshire league etc ain’t as strict as the NCL... the leagues are still ran like the 1990s etc 

batley Boys won the league two seasons on the bounce but played 70% of the game if not less and when the game was called off it was the morning of the game with nothing happening to the side calling the game off and they needed to be.. the NCL has rules and regulations that stops it been ran as a pub league 

4 hours ago, ernieone said:

Whittled down to 25 and what standard are they? First div/championship or potential super league? 

How will it effect the sides they have come from will it mean more amateur clubs struggling for players or how long before the players decide to go back to playing with there mates.

A standard similar to the other reserve sides they've been playing. For an idea, they've beaten both Hull (twice) and Wakefield but have also lost to Keighley.

3 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Because the rules in Yorkshire league etc ain’t as strict as the NCL... the leagues are still ran like the 1990s etc 

batley Boys won the league two seasons on the bounce but played 70% of the game if not less and when the game was called off it was the morning of the game with nothing happening to the side calling the game off and they needed to be.. the NCL has rules and regulations that stops it been ran as a pub league 

Rules don't overcome the fundamental problem of participation. Players aren't as committed as they once were - how do you explain that?

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Rules don't overcome the fundamental problem of participation. Players aren't as committed as they once were - how do you explain that?

Because one week you have a match and for 2-3 weeks your games are called off on the morning of a match when you could of done something with family etc I know lads now who are committed and happy playing week in week out 

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

Because one week you have a match and for 2-3 weeks your games are called off on the morning of a match when you could of done something with family etc I know lads now who are committed and happy playing week in week out 

And the games are called off because the other club can't raise a team. Participation levels are falling in virtually all sports: this is simply a fact.

Some amateur players just can't be bothered travelling away especially if there is the prospect of a tough tie. Some lads have more interest in the refreshments post game which takes up the majority of a Saturday

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

On 17/07/2019 at 20:46, Dog forever said:

Couldn't agree more silver back. I think if we were fielding a squad full of d/r and loan players I really wouldn't be too fussed about paying good money to watch the dogs and not recognising half the players. So many teams are losing their identity in search of the holy grail,  only for a season or two later to come down with a bump and financial problems.

Just had a look at the Batley squad for this weekend. As far as I can tell, in the squad there are two Huddersfield players (Sam Wood and Reiss Butterworth), two Leeds players (Jack Broadbent and Sam Walters) and one Hull player (Lewis Bienek). Have I got this wrong, or have you actually named the maximum five loan players this week? If so, where's the outrage that seems reserved for other clubs when they do the same thing?

On 17/07/2019 at 18:37, RogerT said:

Why oh why can't Batley and Dewsbury join forces for a reserve team, I have also mentioned this on the Dewsbury forum. 

As I understood it roger , When jk wanted to reform a reserves at bradford in champ one , he floated the idea of a joint reserves with Batley , but rfl turned it down because we wasn’t in a dual reg agreement with one another 

IMG_0583.JPG

14 minutes ago, mountieman21 said:

Hardly household names unlike yours who have appeared in Grand Finals. Go back to sleep and dream of the announcement of the next Leeds squad.

There's always an "ah, but it's different with us" isn't there? It's gone from "we're against DR and loans" to "we're only using one or two" to "yes we are filling our squad with the maximum loanees but they aren't household names".

Not criticising the club at all, what they are doing is all above board, just certain fans who have been very vocal about this very issue regarding other teams yet go quiet when their own club uses the maximum number of loanees.

Archived