Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Copa

Women’s World Cup teams announced

Recommended Posts

Brazil will take part in the next women’s WC and their team will include many Olympic union 7s players.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/18/brazil-tipped-to-cause-shock-at-womens-world-cup/

Brazil will join France and the six countries which contested the 2017 World Cup at the expanded eight-team tournament in England, which also features Australia, Canada, Cook Islands, England, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

The South American nation was a surprise choice but earned their place after thrashing a more established Argentina team 48-0 in San Paulo last November with a side that featured six members of Brazil's Rugby 7s team from the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff.  An extended Men's tournament, an extended Women's tournament and a Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup all running concurrently. 

It will be a celebration of Rugby League. Is it still two years away... damn!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Great stuff.  An extended Men's tournament, an extended Women's tournament and a Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup all running concurrently. 

It will be a celebration of Rugby League. Is it still two years away... damn!

Interestingly, they had to meet certain criteria to be accepted such as current and future plans etc. the article also  states “Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Italy and the USA are among the nations to miss out”

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brazil being involved is a fantastic look for the game. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the women's game can be used to accelerate the growth of Rugby League worldwide without the same obstacles and barriers faced by the men's game.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic news. Brazil is a really interesting case and if it is successful could form a blueprint for expansion areas. (Coughpiggybacksevenscough)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheelchair WC to include Norway and USA as well as England, Scotland, Wales, France and Spain. Ireland and Italy played in 2017 but lose out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame they capped it at 8 for the Women's and Wheelchair World Cups.

For the Women's, you have Lebanon, Turkey, Italy, Serbia, Fiji, Samoa and Argentina who have already played Tests plus then the US, Scotland, Wales and Greece who are building national teams.

Then as mentioned, Italy and Ireland were unlucky to miss out on qualifying again for the Wheelchair World Cups.

It would have been nice if they could have extended it to 10 or 12. Anyway happy they went for a good geographic mix with the limited spots.


signature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real positives around this is that this and the wheelchair tournament don't just feel like some afterthought. They feel like proper tournaments that will form part of the wider World Cup festival.

Brilliant stuff so far.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Shame they capped it at 8 for the Women's and Wheelchair World Cups.

For the Women's, you have Lebanon, Turkey, Italy, Serbia, Fiji, Samoa and Argentina who have already played Tests plus then the US, Scotland, Wales and Greece who are building national teams.

Then as mentioned, Italy and Ireland were unlucky to miss out on qualifying again for the Wheelchair World Cups.

It would have been nice if they could have extended it to 10 or 12. Anyway happy they went for a good geographic mix with the limited spots.

Yeah I had that feeling but in fairness playing a few tests shouldn’t automatically mean you get in a World Cup. They want to avoid heavy blow outs and also ensure it’s financially viable. 

The best thing I read was that they’re planning a proper qualification for the women’s for 2025 World Cup

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adrian Vowles has hit the roof in Sydney over Fiji  not being included in the Womens WC. He coached the team to win the Pacific Games event ahead of PNG and Cook Islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bird said:

Adrian Vowles has hit the roof in Sydney over Fiji  not being included in the Womens WC. He coached the team to win the Pacific Games event ahead of PNG and Cook Islands.

Sure, they won a couple of games but how much RL is played in Fiji in comparison to PNG and the Cooks? What proposals did they put to the organisers as to how they'd take the game forward? It's not simply about winning a game here and there.

  • Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Sure, they won a couple of games but how much RL is played in Fiji in comparison to PNG and the Cooks? What proposals did they put to the organisers as to how they'd take the game forward? It's not simply about winning a game here and there.

The Cook Islands has a population of less than 20,000 and there is considerably more RL played in Fiji.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Damien said:

The Cook Islands has a population of less than 20,000 and there is considerably more RL played in Fiji.

More women's RL played in Fiji?


"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nadera78 said:

More women's RL played in Fiji?

A lot more potential than a Country the size of a Village, population 17,465

I have no idea why the Cook Islands are included in any International rugby league events.

They have no potential to grow the game at all in any significant way.

 

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bird said:

Adrian Vowles has hit the roof in Sydney over Fiji  not being included in the Womens WC. He coached the team to win the Pacific Games event ahead of PNG and Cook Islands.

If the process involved submissions he should be angry with the Fijian rugby league body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff love the positivity on this forum. On twitter RL community is quite negative. RL needs South America such a massive population so under represented in our game. Heartbreak for Fiji though. I don't get how png can be picked over fiji though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Good stuff love the positivity on this forum. On twitter RL community is quite negative. RL needs South America such a massive population so under represented in our game. Heartbreak for Fiji though. I don't get how png can be picked over fiji though.

What about the Cook Islands?


Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PNG has had Women's Rugby League programs in its country for almost 5 years. This includes National Schoolgirl and Women's Championships, plus most regions now have Women's and Girl's competitions with around POM and the South the strongest.

Fiji had their first Women's competition last year and haven't yet run one in 2019.

In terms of Development, PNG has so far done more for the Women's game than any other Pacific nation and are up there with England, NZ, France and Australia in terms of structures and players.

If Fiji wants to be upset at someone, it should be the Cooks. They arguably stole Fiji's spot in 2017 when they agreed to protest with the other nations and then turned up to the Qualifiers to win by default.

They then haven't held much since in terms of domestic development / competitions (most is out of Aus or NZ) or internationals and seemingly have qualified because they were there before.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

signature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...