Is SOO about to be devalued again?

Luke Keary was born in qld and grew up there until the age of 10. He continued supporting them as a teenager and has himself previously tried to be declared a Queenslander. How could this possibly devalue origin? If it was test football it wouldn't even be in question - it'd be his choice, end of story.

My eldest daughter was born in Yorkshire and lived there until she was only 3. Try telling her she is not a Yorkshire lass - she would throw a hissy fit! Any eligibility criteria like Origin will fail when mapped against modern society. We move all over the place and identify with what is important to us. 

5 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Luke Keary was born in qld and grew up there until the age of 10. He continued supporting them as a teenager and has himself previously tried to be declared a Queenslander. How could this possibly devalue origin? If it was test football it wouldn't even be in question - it'd be his choice, end of story.

Is it his choice?  I am asking as I am not sure... the article states the criteria, quoted below.  If he fulfills more of the NSW criteria (4 out of the 6) but wants to play for Queensland will he be allowed to play for the Maroons?

"Under the eligibility rules, Keary appears to fulfil four of the six criteria making him a Blue. NSW is the state where the majority of his year's playing rugby league from Under-6s to Under-18s were spent; it is also the state where the majority of his schooling occurred; where he was first selected in a state-run junior representative competition at Under-15 level, or above (North Sydney Bears Harold Matthews team) and where he represented in a state-based schools competition, being a member of the NSW Independent Schools team which played in the Australian Championships in Burleigh in 2010."

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Is it his choice?  I am asking as I am not sure... the article states the criteria, quoted below.  If he fulfills more of the NSW criteria (4 out of the 6) but wants to play for Queensland will he be allowed to play for the Maroons?

"Under the eligibility rules, Keary appears to fulfil four of the six criteria making him a Blue. NSW is the state where the majority of his year's playing rugby league from Under-6s to Under-18s were spent; it is also the state where the majority of his schooling occurred; where he was first selected in a state-run junior representative competition at Under-15 level, or above (North Sydney Bears Harold Matthews team) and where he represented in a state-based schools competition, being a member of the NSW Independent Schools team which played in the Australian Championships in Burleigh in 2010."

That was one Hell of a commute to training and games if he still lived in Queensland until he was 10. The very epitome of Dad cabs.

rldfsignature.jpg

14 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

That was one Hell of a commute to training and games if he still lived in Queensland until he was 10. The very epitome of Dad cabs.

Majority of his years not all of them. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Born in Queensland but not eligible for Queensland seems bizarre 

Similarly, Peter Sterling, Born in Queensland eligible for NSW.  If qualification was based purely on where you were born would SOO results have been any different. ?

I thought this might be some story about "Women's" SOO?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

ghost crayfish posted that Keary's first ten years were spent in Queensland.

I didn’t think I’d have to quote the rest because you did.

NSW is the state were he spent the majority of his years playing rugby league from u6s to u 18s

If he started at six he’d have played four years in Queensland and seven or eight in NSW. 

The SOO rules are as they are for various reasons. There will always be strange quirks and strange edge cases with any set of rules but its better to have strict rules in my opinion than allowing the vagaries of judgement calls and bias. If you change the rules to allow Keary then you potentially risk not allowing another to represent the state that they consider home and where they have played Rugby League in from the age of 6 or have lived in from the age of 1.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think the answer is no. It's based on criteria, not choice. I think the reason for all the heavy criteria was partially to stop Inglis type situations, and partly to stop states grabbing Australian based overseas players. I'd have thought a player like Keary should be entitled to argue their case though, but rules is rules...

Just now, deluded pom? said:

You’ll have to enlighten me. You said Keary spent the first ten years of his life in Queensland, the article Dunbar quoted says otherwise. 

Mate bobbruce explained it above too. The article does not say otherwise. The article says he played the MAJORITY of his junior footy in NSW. Implying he played some of it in qld. Let me break it down further: under 6s to under 18s is 12 years. If he lived in qld until 10, which he did, he could've played a max of 4 years there. He would've then played a max of 8 in NSW... Meaning NSW is where he played the MAJORITY of his junior footy.

1 minute ago, ghost crayfish said:

Mate bobbruce explained it above too. The article does not say otherwise. The article says he played the MAJORITY of his junior footy in NSW. Implying he played some of it in qld. Let me break it down further: under 6s to under 18s is 12 years. If he lived in qld until 10, which he did, he could've played a max of 4 years there. He would've then played a max of 8 in NSW... Meaning NSW is where he played the MAJORITY of his junior footy.

The penny has dropped. Just make it clearer next time :kolobok_ph34r:

rldfsignature.jpg

9 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I play with 2 guys living in NSW and our club is in Qld.

new rise.jpg

Yet another example of  talking about SOO being incredibly boring and overly dominant if it wasn't good to watch it'd have nothing going for it.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived