Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scotchy1

The Challenge Cup, visibility, coverage etc.

The idea of Loop Fixtures for this season by the powers that be, do the game no good whatsoever. Can't these people who have taken over the running of SL come up with something better? I thought we were going to see the game be elevated to another level by this new regime when they announced they were taking charge.

• Like 1

I do find the idea of the league being turned into a glorified cup competition through the play offs and the adding mini leagues to the cup competition ironic. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do find the idea of the league being turned into a glorified cup competition through the play offs and the adding mini leagues to the cup competition ironic. 

Agree , and also with your previous post 

A group stage in the cup would still be loop fixtures , yes when we had the county cups and the JP and floodlight trophy the league's weren't split into full and part , so we saw more variation of clubs being played against , with more potential for upsets , it isn't relevant to this discussion 

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

It's a cup competition.  It's a completely separate competition and the teams in it would to a greater or lesser degree be drawn by chance. The details of the pools and how many of them and the number of games is of course a matter for debate.

Some years ago we had a league.  But on top of that we had a Lancashire/ Yorkshire cup, the Challenge cup, the Floodlight cup and the "John Player" cup.  Where these loop fixtures?

But frankly I am not terribly fussed if people don't like it or not.  Is an opinion and currently the Cup is increasingly past it's sell by date.  "Pools" would create a completely new and different competition, give more profile and terrestrial tv time ... and money.  And the TV money could mostly go to the 32 clubs.  It would be a boost to the Championship teams.

Some years ago people did their business outside, it doesn’t mean we should go back to that. 

The idea of a group stage is just not attractive at all to me and I can’t see it being attractive to clubs either.

There’s much easier things to do that keeps the only knockout competition intact that doesn’t involve bizarre assumptions that people want to watch Huddersfield v Wakefield in a group game of the Challenge Cup rather than seeing it as a Super League game or a Challenge Cup knockout game. 

Capped tickets are a start. While £20 isn’t deemed expensive (not that many charge this, it’s usually more), let’s be honest, the people most likely to attend are people who have a vested interest, so season ticket holders mainly and £20 on top of a season ticket, away games, Magic, International games etc becomes a bit tiresome so no more than £10 or £15 for adults and kids £1 up to the Final. And I tell you what, if you buy tickets for every round of the Challenge Cup for your club’s games (and they get to the final) directly from your club and they can evidence this on the club’s ticketing database, if your team gets to the final you get a set amount off a final ticket (say £3 per round off a final ticket). Give people a reason to turn up and give people a cheaper day out in London.

Some common sense to be engaged. This year, the QF’s were a week after Magic Weekend and the 6th Round, two weeks prior to Magic. Thats before you factor in Wigan played in Barcelona, for example. That’s not using common sense at all, some people aren’t likely to have the funds/want to pay for all three events, so it’s little wonder crowds are poor for certain events. 

Marketing and advertising. Frankly, the game doesn’t do this very well on the whole. Some clubs we know are better than others but the Challenge Cup as a competition is criminally under advertised. 

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Some years ago people did their business outside, it doesn’t mean we should go back to that. 

The idea of a group stage is just not attractive at all to me and I can’t see it being attractive to clubs either.

There’s much easier things to do that keeps the only knockout competition intact that doesn’t involve bizarre assumptions that people want to watch Huddersfield v Wakefield in a group game of the Challenge Cup rather than seeing it as a Super League game or a Challenge Cup knockout game. 

Capped tickets are a start. While £20 isn’t deemed expensive (not that many charge this, it’s usually more), let’s be honest, the people most likely to attend are people who have a vested interest, so season ticket holders mainly and £20 on top of a season ticket, away games, Magic, International games etc becomes a bit tiresome so no more than £10 or £15 for adults and kids £1 up to the Final. And I tell you what, if you buy tickets for every round of the Challenge Cup for your club’s games (and they get to the final) directly from your club and they can evidence this on the club’s ticketing database, if your team gets to the final you get a set amount off a final ticket (say £3 per round off a final ticket). Give people a reason to turn up and give people a cheaper day out in London.

Some common sense to be engaged. This year, the QF’s were a week after Magic Weekend and the 6th Round, two weeks prior to Magic. Thats before you factor in Wigan played in Barcelona, for example. That’s not using common sense at all, some people aren’t likely to have the funds/want to pay for all three events, so it’s little wonder crowds are poor for certain events. 

Marketing and advertising. Frankly, the game doesn’t do this very well on the whole. Some clubs we know are better than others but the Challenge Cup as a competition is criminally under advertised. 

Play the whole cup and it's group stages at the start of the season. After the CC, play some internationals. Then a 22 round SL, assuming 12 teams.

Frankly if we, purely as an example, have 24 teams that is 12 SL and the 12 survivors (from mainly the championship) then that could keep both divisions happy.  And if there is a draw (even if there were some element of seeding) then there will always be some variety each year.  An it gives TV (prob. BBC) exposure. 

But again quite frankly I say to those who turn their backs on this then so be it.  I can say no more, I am happy to be a voice in the wilderness and others can let the game stagnate.  

Go to the RFL ticket page and try to buy, nothing short of useless the RFL.

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Agree , and also with your previous post 

A group stage in the cup would still be loop fixtures , yes when we had the county cups and the JP and floodlight trophy the league's weren't split into full and part , so we saw more variation of clubs being played against , with more potential for upsets , it isn't relevant to this discussion 

But groups in the CC dont need to be split into ful and part time.

Were there more upsets in the old days? Any evidence? 

I think a good way to think of things is this. Imagine for one moment that you don't all have a hatred of rugby union. Imagine that you quite like watching the international games, and you're open to watching a bit more club/representative games, but the sport is mostly played away from where you live.

How could the RFU interest you in matches such as Bath v Exeter and Northampton v Harlequins. Obviously there's Sale, Leeds and Newcastle, so I guess you could argue that RU has more of a foothold in the north than RL does in the south (outside of London), but aside from that, the situation is fairly similar.

You're wanting RL to be made more relevant to the rest of the country - places that aren't traditional RL areas - so flip things around and imagine RU trying to do the same in your areas. How would you recommend to them they go about it?

Do you think it would even be possible? Or do you think that trying to get someone from Yorkshire interested in Bath v Harlequins is impossible? If so, maybe the same is true of trying to get someone from Sussex to care about Widnes v Hull.

Personally speaking, if a Challenge Cup game was played at St Mary's or Fratton Park, I'd probably go if it was something like Wigan v St Helens or Warrington v Leeds. I'm not sure I'd bother if it was one of those teams against a 'lesser' SL team or a Championship side though. I know that makes me a bit of a big game watcher, but I'm just trying to be honest. Because that's what you've got to face. People are able to be more discerning nowadays, because there's so many alternative things to be doing.