Is "mafting" a Hull word?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Never heard of 'mafting', but 'mafted', as in "I'm mafted" for hot, is regularly used in Whitby, where I learnt to use it and I still do use it. (see also 'nithering' fo cold).

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

My mother-in-law is from 'ull. Some of the words she uses are totally "foreign". 

One day she told me there was an "os on flags". And she thought I was the odd one because I couldn't work out she was telling me about the horse outside on the pavement. ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

23 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Never heard of 'mafting', but 'mafted', as in "I'm mafted" for hot, is regularly used in Whitby, where I learnt to use it and I still do use it. (see also 'nithering' fo cold).

Not surprised by that. The dialects of the North and East Ridings have a lot in common.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I've heard "nithering" before, but never "mafting" or "mafted".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ah but when geese are 'mafted'  surely they can go for a swim to cool off? 

Maybe so but none of the waters round here are particularly appealing. They keep finding bombs off the coast here, feral yoof keep shooting my fellow bird friends in the parks and you've gotta be bloody careful on the Humber in case somebody jumps off the bridge and lands on you. Anyhow, you try waddling about with a feather coat on, the heat really gets to you sometimes, messes with your head, for example I'm convinced an horse from Bedfordshire is talking to me... 

7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Maybe so but none of the waters round here are particularly appealing. They keep finding bombs off the coast here, feral yoof keep shooting my fellow bird friends in the parks and you've gotta be bloody careful on the Humber in case somebody jumps off the bridge and lands on you. Anyhow, you try waddling about with a feather coat on, the heat really gets to you sometimes, messes with your head, for example I'm convinced an horse from Bedfordshire is talking to me... 

Ha ha... A horse??? I'm a bucking Bronco!!! 

Fly South HG.... What's good for the goose is good for the gander ?

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

...the heat really gets to you sometimes...

What heat? You're up north! Everybody knows it's grim up north! 

I suppose, on those balmy northern summer days, the temperature could sometimes get close to 10°C ?

And yes, this is a rhino from Wiltshire talking to you 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 07:03, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My mother-in-law is from 'ull. Some of the words she uses are totally "foreign". 

One day she told me there was an "os on flags". And she thought I was the odd one because I couldn't work out she was telling me about the horse outside on the pavement. ?

Has she ever asked for kerk n  a r s e ?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I don't think so but who knows. It's all foreign to me if it doesn't have "ooooaaaaarrrr" somewhere in the sentence. ?

PS What is kerknarse? ? 

It's simple - coke and ice.  Try does the perp smerk derp

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Anyone from Hull remember tansad?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

3 hours ago, jacksy said:

If your mam hasn't booled you on road in one you haven't lived.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

4 hours ago, jacksy said:

jeez, haven't heard that for yonks. They were named after the Royale, Pedigree and Swallow pram brands that were made in Tansad In Staffs, so though it was used in Hull it's not unique.

'boolin prams' is a phrase/thing I recently heard of from around the Hull area.

2 hours ago, Ullman said:

If your mam hasn't booled you on road in one you haven't lived.

Hessle Road. 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Archived