Villeneuve leopards

2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Any Parisian clubs in that mix?

I would really like to know about the current state of Rugby League played in Paris, as well as Nantes and the North of France? Now that FFR 13 have apparently balanced there books again is there any plans for a development officer in North of France?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Any Parisian clubs in that mix?

Corbeil are playing in the Federale Poule 2 and Chatillon in the Nationale.

Nantes still exist as a club with junior section, touch rugby and occasional adult games last season against the likes of Nantes Tigres (ex Clos Torreau).

Important to bear in mind that we're now down to around sixty-odd RL clubs in France plus maybe another couple of dozen which don't currently run a men's team in an organised league. That number has been falling for decades, not seeing much sign of the decline being halted. 

5 hours ago, JonM said:

Corbeil are playing in the Federale Poule 2 and Chatillon in the Nationale.

Nantes still exist as a club with junior section, touch rugby and occasional adult games last season against the likes of Nantes Tigres (ex Clos Torreau).

So Corbeil & Paris Chatillon have teams in Federale & Nationale divisions, what level do Nanterre "Les Hssards" compete at? Is there any youth or adult amateur competition for clubs based in Paris or the north of France? 

1 hour ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

So Corbeil & Paris Chatillon have teams in Federale & Nationale divisions, what level do Nanterre "Les Hssards" compete at? Is there any youth or adult amateur competition for clubs based in Paris or the north of France? 

Nanterre were banned by the local mayor and told that the police will be called if they try to use the stadium. Only in France.

There is certainly some RL activity - for example Nanterre played in a touch tournament organised by Charenton a couple of weeks ago and they took part in the Rotterdam 9's in April. But I don't think there's a regular league with weekly fixtures in the Ile de France any more.

Going back to your earlier point, I think there are some (funded) plans/people recently put in place to do things like coaching and referee development and setting up youth teams.

Big statement from Villeneuve Leopards, they have signed one of the best players in the league Thomas Lasvenes. They're really gonna go for it next year. I love their ambition and I believe they're really serious about wanting to join the English league system. 

Do wonder if Villeneuve will follow through with going to RFL competition. Their joining has been proposed before (when both Dave Ellis and Grant Doorey were coaching) yet never went forward. Sometimes clubs in FFRXIII say they're going, to put pressure on leadership of FFRXIII. Remember ASC saying they were going to join RFL during dispute with FFRXIII. IIRC Villeneuve lost interest in joining RFL after the then chairman (and main money man) left. However, potential is there should they join but not sure Agen move their best option (though they have played games at the stadium there as their current stadium hadn't got suitable floodlights for TV games) . 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Just as England is looking forward to North America to grow, the French need England to help grow the game in France.

It is slowly contracting, I can recall when there were over 100 clubs now there are 60 odd. 

21 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Just as England is looking forward to North America to grow, the French need England to help grow the game in France.

It is slowly contracting, I can recall when there were over 100 clubs now there are 60 odd. 

The decline in the number of French clubs is a concern and really needs to be halted.

What can be done to stop French clubs disappearing?

I’d like to see England Knights play France in France on an annual basis (similar to Australia’s PM13 that play in PNG annually). 

More World Cup games to be held in France. France should be at least hosting their own group fixtures.

The World Cup and any internationals to be shown on free to air tv in France. It would be great if every Catalans game was shown on free to air, but this might not be feasible.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

The Leopards have just announced that they've signed Eddy Pettybourne, big statement from them. I think they'll be my team this season in Elite 1 

It depends what shape he’s in

The new Montpellier team have announced some interesting signings 

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

The Leopards have just announced that they've signed Eddy Pettybourne, big statement from them. I think they'll be my team this season in Elite 1 

Eddy Pettybourne is a spent force.

4 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Eddy Pettybourne is a spent force.

Maybe in top level leagues but VSL are in Elite league. 

We;ve heard some intentions from VSL but last season was inconsistent.  They need to be winning the Elite league easily before venturing furher afield.  They are at the right level now imo and the key is to strengthen that competition.

Archived