TWP Recruitment

ojx

With other Championship teams signing players on short term contracts for the final promotion push, I was wondering if the Wolfpack were looking at any additions?

Also, it's been eerily quiet on recruitment for 2020, is that just to wait and see if we are in SL or not? If so, there might not be too much quality available if it is left too late.

Also need to consider the cap . It was mentioned bringing in at least one big name from Union earlier in the year . Where would this leave our salary cap as I thought we already had the marquee signings?  For sure next season if in SL the current squad is not deep enough . When suspensions and injuries bite there are not enough SL quality replacements. With a couple of our players now at Leigh albeit fringe players we are weeding out who McDermott deems surplus to requirements . It will be interesting to see if there is anyone brought in for the playoffs and in which areas. Our issue is for next season not knowing which league we will be in yet. The quality we need to move forward will not come to a championship side and in all honesty why should they? We hit lucky last year with the quality of player who signed for us but everyone thought we were a shoe in for SL . Fingers crossed we have a new face or two to get us over the line otherwise we will have to keep faith in the guys who have performed well for us throughout the season. Plenty of championship sides would love to have our dilemma.

you are a super league team playing in the championship.dont worry about strengthening because  when  your in sl next year they will be bringing weakened squads due to silly visa rules.so thats 20 plus points guaranteed,enough to stay up.easy peasy.

With the departure of Higson I make it 23 players on the roster...if we have 2 or 3 out then we are thin on numbers..we brought in Mason Caton-Brown late in the year (and i'd kinda hoped we'd keep him as he played well) so there's nothing to stop us doing the same this year..lets' see what coach BM and Nobby have in mind..

12 hours ago, Canis Lupus said:

Also need to consider the cap . It was mentioned bringing in at least one big name from Union earlier in the year . Where would this leave our salary cap as I thought we already had the marquee signings?  

As I understand it, a Union player wouldn't count in that cap.

27 minutes ago, Canis Lupus said:

the talk was of Sonny Bill . would he be classed as a 50% returning player ?

I think the Sonny Bill talk was just DA's enthusiastic optimism...if it was that close it would have been announced soon after..there may well be one or two RU returnees available but I don't think SB is on the horizon.

25 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I think the Sonny Bill talk was just DA's enthusiastic optimism...if it was that close it would have been announced soon after..there may well be one or two RU returnees available but I don't think SB is on the horizon.

I would not be so quick to dismiss those rumours.

10 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I would not be so quick to dismiss those rumours.

Would like to see it happen as it would really make the RL world go nuts...let' see...

I've said it before but I think TWP may need a sensible approach to salaries. At the moment there are a lot of overpaid players. I don't mean that to be disrespectful to them, they've been brought in to get out of the championship and they're on the way to doing that, but there are quite a few lower level Super League standard players who are at Toronto because they're making more money than they could get from a Super League club and bringing more in would only be spending money that might be needed for a better standard of player to compete in Super League.

The other disadvantage TWP currently have is that teams in heartland areas can rely on youth players and academy products to complete their squad. These are players that are probably on lower wages atleast until they have established themselves. TWP currently have rely on signing every one of their players and paying a competitive wage to do that.

This team should be good enough to win the play offs but the management need to look at how they can balance the wages to build a competitive Super League team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2019 at 10:27, Canis Lupus said:

Also need to consider the cap . It was mentioned bringing in at least one big name from Union earlier in the year . Where would this leave our salary cap as I thought we already had the marquee signings?  For sure next season if in SL the current squad is not deep enough . When suspensions and injuries bite there are not enough SL quality replacements. With a couple of our players now at Leigh albeit fringe players we are weeding out who McDermott deems surplus to requirements . It will be interesting to see if there is anyone brought in for the playoffs and in which areas. Our issue is for next season not knowing which league we will be in yet. The quality we need to move forward will not come to a championship side and in all honesty why should they? We hit lucky last year with the quality of player who signed for us but everyone thought we were a shoe in for SL . Fingers crossed we have a new face or two to get us over the line otherwise we will have to keep faith in the guys who have performed well for us throughout the season. Plenty of championship sides would love to have our dilemma.

That's why for me personally the league structure should be reviewed it should be top goes up automatically. 1 up 1 down but then gives time for the team going up to sort out contracts and recruit accordingly. Until the gap is closed with the 2nd tier being fully professional it won't progress with the uncertainty of not knowing what league you are in until early October. 

On 19/07/2019 at 22:34, ojx said:

As I understand it, a Union player wouldn't count in that cap.

Let me get this straight: So, if he is wearing a Flat Cap he can't count, but if he is wearing a Baseball Cap and is  a member of a Union that's basically ok ! Hope I haven't missed anything? ?

On 20/07/2019 at 11:23, RobertAM said:

Would like to see it happen as it would really make the RL world go nuts...let' see...

Sims announced his retirement at the end of the season...that will free up some cash on the cap.

42 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Sims announced his retirement at the end of the season...that will free up some cash on the cap.

Good servant to the club but he is getting on in age and I figured this was his last season.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

Good servant to the club but he is getting on in age and I figured this was his last season.

Agree  with that . Hope he can end on a high. Deserves to be thought of as a class act for numerous sides . TWP will miss him on and off the field . Would be nice to have him promote us in the SH. 

Archived