Wales Train on Squad

Announced today, 35 man squad, of which 20 (57.1%) are born and bred in Wales. Also Butler though born in England is the grandson of the famous Colin Dixon and Rob Massam moved to Wales at a very young age.

Many of the English born players have played in younger age nation Welsh teams.

Wales’ 35-man elite train-on squad: Rhys Evans, Dalton Grant, Cobi Green* (all Bradford Bulls), Josh Ralph (Easts Tigers), Chester Bulter, Connor Davies, Curtis Davies, Dan Fleming, Sion Jones (all Halifax), Jake Emmitt (Leigh Centurions), Matty Fozard, Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams (all London Broncos), Lloyd White (Mackay Cutters), Rob Massam (North Wales Crusaders), Caleb Aekins* (Penrith Panthers), Gil Dudson, Luis Roberts* (Salford Red Devils), Regan Grace, Morgan Knowles (both St Helens), Gavin Bennion, Mike Butt, Rhodri Lloyd, Ben Morris (all Swinton Lions), Ben Evans (Toulouse Olympique), Courtney Davies, Elliott Jenkins, Ollie Olds (all unattached), Lewis Hall* (Warrington Wolves), James Olds (West Brisbane Panthers), Morgan Evans, Matthew Morgan*, Steve Parry, Liam Rice-Wilson* (all West Wales Raiders), Ben Flower (Wigan Warriors)

Good to see, flower, dudson et al. back full stop. They have a habit of selecting when they want to play for Wales and we simply don't have the strength in depth not to have them. 

Surely only a matter of time before Knowles is picked for England. Best loose in super league, we're lucky to still have him

38 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Good to see, flower, dudson et al. back full stop. They have a habit of selecting when they want to play for Wales and we simply don't have the strength in depth not to have them. 

Surely only a matter of time before Knowles is picked for England. Best loose in super league, we're lucky to still have him

I'd be surprised if Knowles switched tbh. I know he was born in Barrow but both of his parents are Welsh and he started playing for them at U16s.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, rlno1 said:

Announced today, 35 man squad, of which 20 (57.1%) are born and bred in Wales. Also Butler though born in England is the grandson of the famous Colin Dixon and Rob Massam moved to Wales at a very young age.

Wales’ 35-man elite train-on squad: Rhys Evans, Dalton Grant, Cobi Green* (all Bradford Bulls), Josh Ralph (Easts Tigers), Chester Bulter, Connor Davies, Curtis Davies, Dan Fleming, Sion Jones (all Halifax), Jake Emmitt (Leigh Centurions), Matty Fozard, Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams (all London Broncos), Lloyd White (Mackay Cutters), Rob Massam (North Wales Crusaders), Caleb Aekins* (Penrith Panthers), Gil Dudson, Luis Roberts* (Salford Red Devils), Regan Grace, Morgan Knowles (both St Helens), Gavin Bennion, Mike Butt, Rhodri Lloyd, Ben Morris (all Swinton Lions), Ben Evans (Toulouse Olympique), Courtney Davies, Elliott Jenkins, Ollie Olds (all unattached), Lewis Hall* (Warrington Wolves), James Olds (West Brisbane Panthers), Morgan Evans, Matthew Morgan*, Steve Parry, Liam Rice-Wilson* (all West Wales Raiders), Ben Flower (Wigan Warriors)

We have seen some great Welsh players players we have seen in our game over the years and an all time great Welsh 13 would be a hell of team.  But this is a far more important Welsh team as it contains actual Welsh Rugby League players rather than converts.

Quick questions... what does the * represent against six of the names?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I believe it is the uncapped players

Thanks

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, rlno1 said:

That's very positive news. Although, I suppose not to get too carried away, the key factor is going to be how good those players are. I mean, you could name a squad of 35 Welsh born and bred players, but it probably wouldn't be of a very high standard. I'm hoping that among those 20 there are a few potential Davies, Gibbs, Quinnell, etc.

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

I’m sure I read somewhere it was supposed to be 40 man:

- Stevie Ward (Leeds)

- Calvin Wellington (Workington)

- Sam Hopkins (Workington)

- James McGurk (Newcastle)

- Daniel Brown (St Mary’s, AUS)

Stevie Ward has been named in the England elite train on squad hasn't he.

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

I’m sure I read somewhere it was supposed to be 40 man:

- Stevie Ward (Leeds)

- Calvin Wellington (Workington)

- Sam Hopkins (Workington)

- James McGurk (Newcastle)

- Daniel Brown (St Mary’s, AUS)

That's interesting - hadn't realised he's returned to RL having left Saints to go back to RU.

How's he getting on at Workington?

Archived