Applications for NCL 2020

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The National Conference League have confirmed they will not be replacing Salford City Roosters for the 2020 season and leaving it at 49 teams for now.

The original plan was to create a fifth division for the 2020 season, but will now leave it at four and restructure for 2021.

Chairman Alan Smith explained he had taken feedback from the clubs regarding the structure of the league going forward.

He said: “One reason is that some Division Three clubs said that 26 games were too many.

“The NCL will therefore be looking at a restructure for 2021 and the NCL Management has decided not to accept any new teams for 2020.

“Division Three will therefore have thirteen teams, playing 24 games. Promotion and relegation will remain the same for 2020.”

Clubs that have applied this time only to miss out are Dalton and Walney Central (the latter former members), both of Furness, and West Cumbria outfits Ellenborough Rangers and Seaton Rangers, together with Yorkshire Mens League sides Bentley (Doncaster) and Wyke (Bradford).

12 hours ago, fatboystu said:

When people talk about the standards being diluted, a quick check shows that Wyke's clubhouse is a 25 minute walk away from their pitch.....surely that can't be right?

Surely the sides coming into the NCL should be playing the top division of the regional leagues.

If not what’s the benefits of playing in the Premier Divisions of the YML and the NWML

Too many teams have been admitted to the NCL in recent times and not lasted 2 seasons. I expect the management want to make sure this is not likely to happen again. Not good for me because I like getting to new grounds but I understand the thinking behind it. I'm told the door to these clubs is not permanently closed but they want to make sure they have a new structure in place for next season that they are confident will work. There are sides in the premier divisions of the YML and NWML that are stronger on the pitch than many NCL teams but don't have the facilities or ambition to join. It has never been the case that teams have to be in the top divisions of the regional leagues to apply for the NCL, even when the league started in 1986.

On 15/10/2019 at 19:23, fatboystu said:

When people talk about the standards being diluted, a quick check shows that Wyke's clubhouse is a 25 minute walk away from their pitch.....surely that can't be right?

Glad they didn't get in then!! 

Batley Boys managed to get in by telling the league all their games would be at the Stadium!  All clubs are on probation for the first year in the NCL - perhaps they'll get the "curly finger" ??

1 hour ago, Pascal Chimbonda said:

Fake news. Move on. 

Barrett doesn't say a lot but is rarely wrong. Would not have made this post without having any grounds for making it. Didn't say they would get the "curly finger" by the way, just said they could. Ultimately I imagine it would be put to the rest of the clubs like most things in the NCL if they consider it a problem. Maybe you have some inside info to the contrary?

On 15/10/2019 at 19:23, fatboystu said:

I'm sure they play from a pub, their ground is worse than Batley Boys if it rains and they have pitch side changing rooms.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 17/10/2019 at 21:15, Celtic Roosters said:

Barrett doesn't say a lot but is rarely wrong. Would not have made this post without having any grounds for making it. Didn't say they would get the "curly finger" by the way, just said they could. Ultimately I imagine it would be put to the rest of the clubs like most things in the NCL if they consider it a problem. Maybe you have some inside info to the contrary?

If we get the curly finger so be it we tried and have loved our first season. I was referring to the part that says we would play every game at the stadium .....

What’s people’s thoughts on what the proposed league structure will be. Got a feeling they might regionalise the leagues if they do then can’t see how it would be classed as National Conference.

I hope am wrong but just got a feeling that’s the way the league might go

4 minutes ago, Cumbria1 said:

What’s people’s thoughts on what the proposed league structure will be. Got a feeling they might regionalise the leagues if they do then can’t see how it would be classed as National Conference.

I hope am wrong but just got a feeling that’s the way the league might go

Wouldn't be a bad shout. It has always been my view that the NCL ought to be an elite comp for the best teams in decent facilities. 

49 has simply weakened the regional leagues. A proper pyramid is needed. A single NCL, below that a West and East Leagues and below that the regional leagues. With proper P+R for those with the requisite facilities.

Similar to football.

1 hour ago, dixiedean said:

Wouldn't be a bad shout. It has always been my view that the NCL ought to be an elite comp for the best teams in decent facilities. 

49 has simply weakened the regional leagues. A proper pyramid is needed. A single NCL, below that a West and East Leagues and below that the regional leagues. With proper P+R for those with the requisite facilities.

Similar to football.

Bottom line they not bothered about Regional Leagues. They expanded to take clubs away from BARLA. 

HW

11 hours ago, Pascal Chimbonda said:

If we get the curly finger so be it we tried and have loved our first season. I was referring to the part that says we would play every game at the stadium .....

Fair enough pal. I didn't get to Batley Boys this season so I don't know the situation myself. I did see you play away though and was impressed. Hope you stay in the NCL but Barrett will know more than me.

39 minutes ago, Havenwarrior said:

Bottom line they not bothered about Regional Leagues. They expanded to take clubs away from BARLA. 

HW

I know. Not been a roaring success for the regional leagues, has it?

Archived