The North

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

2 views on this.

1. Being a Northerner is a state of mind. YES!

2. Anything South of Sheffield is basically France. I Wish!

London out of the way and we're joined to Calais ..... absolute magic !

14 minutes ago, Steve May said:

My best mate is a Taff.   Lovely bloke. 

He’s long had the opinion that the Welsh rugby fans have more in common with the English league fans than with the Twickers types.  

And I thought it was just me pity the people who run it didn't/don't think so, can you imagine how history would look now?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago, a couple of late drop outs meant we were hauled along to a clearing in Sherwood Forest (that's Nottinghamshire, kids) to see a show by inexplicably popular singist Pamela Faith. Now, I'm sure she's very talented, but I'm afraid I find her stuff so instantly forgettable that I swear that if she was singing one of her most famous songs directly into my ear, I still wouldn't be able to hum it back, so my abiding (and pretty much only) memory of the show was her telling the audience how much she liked playing "in the north".

So, Nottinghamshire is in the north.

On 21/07/2019 at 13:45, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I've been thinking about this a bit more and I've come to the conclusion that The North is Yorkshire and ONLY Yorkshire. 

Here's why - before you get to Yorkshire you are in the Midlands. When you've passed Yorkshire you're in the North East. If you travel up the M6, past the Midlands you're in the North West. 

So Yorkshire is The North. Everywhere else is not The North. 

I can't see why anyone could disagree with that ?

I guess we'll not be hearing from Wiltshire for a while as he's been taken away for debriefing and re-education by the YIA for revealing state secrets.

This information will shortly be deleted from everyone's memory.

The EU have said there is no example of a secure border where there are no physical checks, but they didn't consider the highly successful "alternative arrangements" of the Yorkshire boundaries. The whole concept of the "North" is created by the YIA to enable a buffer zone where undesirables can be filtered out. This is usually carried out in 'service stations' in the outlying areas. There are a number of layers of protection against unwanted visitors. Some will fall for the simple "it's grim up North" line, but others require a more complex approach. 

Some people claim that they've been "up north", but have they really?

Occasionally, we need to abduct affluent 'foreigners' and implant fake memories of visiting or even living in god's own county (whilst simultaneously extracting funds from their overweight bank accounts). This is to give the impression that it is actually possible to go there and also to give a boost to the economy.

A true world map: (unimportant places not shown).

yorkshireridings2.jpg

This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

1 hour ago, Wholly Trinity said:

I guess we'll not be hearing from Wiltshire for a while as he's been taken away for debriefing and re-education by the YIA for revealing state secrets.

This information will shortly be deleted from everyone's memory.

The EU have said there is no example of a secure border where there are no physical checks, but they didn't consider the highly successful "alternative arrangements" of the Yorkshire boundaries. The whole concept of the "North" is created by the YIA to enable a buffer zone where undesirables can be filtered out. This is usually carried out in 'service stations' in the outlying areas. There are a number of layers of protection against unwanted visitors. Some will fall for the simple "it's grim up North" line, but others require a more complex approach. 

Some people claim that they've been "up north", but have they really?

Occasionally, we need to abduct affluent 'foreigners' and implant fake memories of visiting or even living in god's own county (whilst simultaneously extracting funds from their overweight bank accounts). This is to give the impression that it is actually possible to go there and also to give a boost to the economy.

A true world map: (unimportant places not shown).

yorkshireridings2.jpg

This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

That is an interesting map. It just shows that there is nothing there.

No mountains to speak of, no lakes that are not just puddles.

Dales? Even Derbyshire has them.

Wolds? Oxfordshire has them. 

Moors? Somerset has one. Even Devon ( which is as far as South you can get) has one of them.

Seaside resorts? Please! They are all on the East coast and even God is trying to undo his mistake as fast as he can with erosion.

Save yourself the bother of going there, there are much nicer places to go to and the locals will be much friendlier.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

8 minutes ago, Bearman said:

That is an interesting map. It just shows that there is nothing there.

No mountains to speak of, no lakes that are not just puddles.

Dales? Even Derbyshire has them.

Wolds? Oxfordshire has them. 

Moors? Somerset has one. Even Devon ( which is as far as South you can get) has one of them.

Seaside resorts? Please! They are all on the East coast and even God is trying to undo his mistake as fast as he can with erosion.

Save yourself the bother of going there, there are much nicer places to go to and the locals will be much friendlier.

Good work agent "Bearman"

Anything North of where I am is North, and I would like to nominate BJ as a Southerner who doesn't know where the North is. Boris thinks the North is anywhere beyond Camden, he doesn't care about anywhere beyond the M25.

I think you will see the 'true north' from this highly scientific map.

northsouth.gif

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:34, Scubby said:

I see just below Sheffield as the North. I went to Uni in Sheffield and it felt 100% the north to me. Go down towards Chesterfield and that is where it becomes inching towards the Midlands.

13 minutes ago, Celt said:

absolutley agree.  

CKN's definition is pretty close to mine, starting on the south bank of the Humber, but the line clearly passes above Chesterfield and below Sheffield.   Then for me, the North includes Crewe, so probably drops a wee bit below Chester on the west side.  Crewe feels like a Northern town to me whenever i have been there.  Stoke however, is absolutley blatantly the midlands.  Clear as day when you are in the place.  So the 'boundary' is probably on the M6 between the junctions for Crewe and Stoke.

It is a great question though - and one my brother and I have talked over many times.

I think I mentioned this at the start of the thread but the north is the traditional old county boundaries of Lancashire, Yorkshire (West, East, North Riding), County, Durham, Cumberland, Westmorland and Northumberland.  

10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think I mentioned this at the start of the thread but the north is the traditional old county boundaries of Lancashire, Yorkshire (West, East, North Riding), County, Durham, Cumberland, Westmorland and Northumberland.  

But then we come to Cheshire, Notts and Derbyshire.  In the days before local government reorganisation, the old West Riding had a boundary with Cheshire at the top of Home Moss, this boundary is now with Derbyshire. Glossop and Hadfield (location of League of Gentlemen) are in Derbyshire, but they are surely northern towns.  With SK postcodes.

The area of North Notts around Misson, is adjacent to Bawtry, Blaxton and Finningley which are in South Yorks.  It's also very adjacent to Epworth, which is in North Lincs. And to be fair it's fairly difficult to drive from one of these places to the other without passing through all three counties several times. So the definition of the North is muddied again. BTW they are all DN postcodes.  Perhaps the post code is a better guide? After all there are areas of Cheshire with WN postcodes!  Just a thought.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I've thought about this for a while and as I live here

image.png.c374159bffc84ce5f756db3ce52e68e4.png this is obviously where it starts!

Welcome to the North everyone!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I've thought about this for a while and as I live here

image.png.c374159bffc84ce5f756db3ce52e68e4.png this is obviously where it starts!

Welcome to the North everyone!

North of the M4 so I agree

21 hours ago, Celt said:

absolutley agree.  

CKN's definition is pretty close to mine, starting on the south bank of the Humber, but the line clearly passes above Chesterfield and below Sheffield.   Then for me, the North includes Crewe, so probably drops a wee bit below Chester on the west side.  Crewe feels like a Northern town to me whenever i have been there.  Stoke however, is absolutley blatantly the midlands.  Clear as day when you are in the place.  So the 'boundary' is probably on the M6 between the junctions for Crewe and Stoke.

It is a great question though - and one my brother and I have talked over many times.

Staffordshire, alongside Derbyshire are the counties I have always wondered how they perceive themselves.

There are places like Alsager which are on the border between Cheshire/Staffordshire and Glossop where Manchester meets Derbyshire.

28 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Staffordshire, alongside Derbyshire are the counties I have always wondered how they perceive themselves.

There are places like Alsager which are on the border between Cheshire/Staffordshire and Glossop where Manchester meets Derbyshire.

As far as I am concerned then I think that the last 15/20 years or so Glossop has become more drawn to Manchester and as opposed to Derbyshire. Personally I think that is a little sad as Glossop and Glossopians had a character of their own which is being lost, as I suspect is the case with lots of towns which are on the outskirts of bigger cities. I presume that that probably makes it a bit more northern though I think it has probably always been northern.

For me places like Chapel, Whaley Bridge and Buxton are probably now the hinterland that Glossop maybe was a couple of decades ago. Those accents definitely have a bit more of a midland twang to them though I suspect that they probably see themselves as northern.

3 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

North / South is irrelevant. What still counts is whether you are Yorkist or Lancastrian.

The question is: do you rightfully qualify to play for the White Rose or do we have to use the silly, modern rules to get you in?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just a reminder for tomorrow :

Yorkshire Day - Declaration of Integrity
To be read out loud at 11.44 am on Thursday 1st August 2019
"I, [Name], being a resident of the [West/North/East] Riding of Yorkshire [or City of York] declare:
That Yorkshire is three Ridings and the City of York, with these Boundaries of 1144 years standing; That the address of all places in these Ridings is Yorkshire; That all persons born therein or resident therein and loyal to the Ridings are Yorkshiremen and women; That any person or corporate body which deliberately ignores or denies the aforementioned shall forfeit all claim to Yorkshire status.
These declarations made this Yorkshire Day 2019. God Save the Queen!"

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The question is: do you rightfully qualify to play for the White Rose or do we have to use the silly, modern rules to get you in?

Gwent was Yorkist.

I was once selected as a travelling reserve for Yorkshire Universities.

I'm probably still a travelling reserve.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

18 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

North / South is irrelevant. What still counts is whether you are Yorkist or Lancastrian.

Hmm, I was born in Salford, Lancashire, but they moved some of the greatest clubs out of Lancashire in ?1974?, So Swinton, Oldham, Rochdale, Oldham, Leigh, Wigan & Salford (In order of importance), became Greater Manchester, which meant Blackpool Borough were the only club in Lancashire.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Hmm, I was born in Salford, Lancashire, but they moved some of the greatest clubs out of Lancashire in ?1974?, So Swinton, Oldham, Rochdale, Oldham, Leigh, Wigan & Salford (In order of importance), became Greater Manchester, which meant Blackpool Borough were the only club in Lancashire.

Wrong

http://www.forl.co.uk

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived