Tony Adams

A poster a while back asked what Tony Adams had done for the sport before he'd even started the job.

Well today he gets a nearly two page spread (with a column on Saints London the rest) in the i 

Unfortunately it trots out all the cliches about the sport, "northern enclave" "honest, rough and ready working class lads along the M62" but gives him a great write up.

Cant find it online today. Maybe later 

7 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Well he has already insulted our two main sponsors by saying Gambling shouldn't sponsor sport, because he has had a major problem with gambling in the past. Did no-one explain this to him before he took the job?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/49004780

I think he raises a valid point about gambling being the new tobacco. 

I can see how this may cause a issue given his role and the sponsorship of RL in the UK. 

Its a tricky one isn't it? 

On 20/07/2019 at 20:19, Manx RL said:

Providing more profile than bandwagon Burnham 

I genuinely can't wait for the day that RL is seen as a bandwagon worth jumping on.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

53 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Nice of Millionaire Mr Adam's to slate sponsors who help our clubs pay some of the wages of some professionals who are on £20k a year....

I'm rather we're associated with someone who's right, rather than someone who sucks up to vultures.

I know our game doesn't have much, but I don't like it being associated with an industry that ruins so many lives.

People called Romans they go the house

13 hours ago, MrPosh said:

I'm rather we're associated with someone who's right, rather than someone who sucks up to vultures.

I know our game doesn't have much, but I don't like it being associated with an industry that ruins so many lives.

Unfortunately kidda, Adams doesn't sponsor RL or pay players wages or keep the competition a float.

As you know RL has always been associated with similar brands - Notably Smoking and Drink firms in the 80s and 90s they were all over RL and the international team - these days the betting firms have the money rather than Cigarette firms.

If you get on your moral high ground about sponsorships you will always find a fault with any company- if GB were sponsored by say British Coal now as they were in the 80s everyone would be up in arms about the impact of the environment of a mining firm..

Where is your cut off line? Do you want SL to only be sponsored by Vegan Foods Ltd ? I'm sure they are happy to plough a few million ££ into RL....

It's a fair point by Adam's but anyone can state a negative point - where is his positive to say he will use his name and profile to contact some London Based Blue Chip firms to see if they want to invest into RL?? If Betfred pulled out after his comment RL would be in real trouble in this country again - Maybe a nice company like Eddie Stobart would sponsor us.....

To me, his concerns are correct.

The solution?? Who knows. Is there a right one??

For every sponsor and their trade, there will be people who are happy and people who aren't.

It is up to EVERYONE, not just the RFL, SLE, clubs etc to increase the profile of the sport. The only bad news / correspondence about RL is no news / correspondence.

48 minutes ago, davet said:

To me, his concerns are correct.

The solution?? Who knows. Is there a right one??

For every sponsor and their trade, there will be people who are happy and people who aren't.

It is up to EVERYONE, not just the RFL, SLE, clubs etc to increase the profile of the sport. The only bad news / correspondence about RL is no news / correspondence.

Yep, a lot of people would be happy with say a mobile phone company sponsoring us.

However mobile phones are one of the biggest impacts on the environment- mining for the metals and materials for batteries etc, plastic, shipping and distribution and then disposal, so I'm not sure what the perfect company is to sponsor RL - most other sports just take the highest bidder.

Archived