Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chris22

6 games to go...

Recommended Posts

A follow up on "11 games to go"... 

 And really, we are no further on! 3 defeats in 4 for Wire has allowed Hull to close the gap to second place.

There are three sides between 4th and 6th level on points and 7th placed Salford just two points behind. Further down the league, we have five sides separated by two points in the battle to survive.

Before the end of the season, there are still a number of head to head games to come and battles between sides facing relegation and those competing for play off spots. In terms of excitement, this is one of the most thrilling Super League seasons I can recall.

Anyone fancy predicting the outcomes? I'll go, Wire retain 2nd, Wigan and Salford for the play offs and London to face the drop. 

And this is without focussing on the incredible performance of York this year, Leigh's signings to have a shot at promotion and the battle for promotion in League 1 with Whitehaven and Newcastle looking like favourites at present.

Table.PNG


The Tryline Blog - http://thetryline.blogspot.com/ - Twitter - @TrylineBlog
Latest Blog - "Challenge Cup Final: Essential Reading" - give it a read on your way to Wembley!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warrington play Cats away after their semi final, then Saints and then Wigan away. Wigan could be equal on points with them by then. Even assuming for these purposes that Wigan take advantage of the ridiculous Thursday match,  FC’s next few games all look winnable. I will stick my neck out though and say that I think Wigan will finish above whichever of those 2 gets to Wembley. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask me next round after the Giants play Leeds...

London remain favourites for the drop, it's all fun them beating Saints, but they need to beat HKR, Leeds and Wakey to stay up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the loser of London vs Wakefield will be relegated.

Aside from this game, its hard to see Wakefield winning another game in their current form. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Warrington play Cats away after their semi final, then Saints and then Wigan away. Wigan could be equal on points with them by then. Even assuming for these purposes that Wigan take advantage of the ridiculous Thursday match,  FC’s next few games all look winnable. I will stick my neck out though and say that I think Wigan will finish above whichever of those 2 gets to Wembley. 

I think 2nd, 3rd and 4th will be occupied  by Wire, Hull and Wigan in some order, but the Challenge Cup will play a big part in who finishes where.

If Wire beat Hull next week I think Hull will finish 2nd. Our run in is pretty good. All our games look winnable on paper (Saints will have 1st sewn up long before they visit the KCOM). And with Warrington having a final to distract them so can't see them winning many more league matches. In this scenario I can't really see Wigan overtaking Warrington. With PD as it is they have to win 4 games more than Wire. Wigan will slip up somewhere and I can't see Wire failing to win two games.

On the other hand if Hull make the final I think Wigan will become big favourites to finish 3rd. Hull v Wigan the week after the semi almost becomes a shootout for 3rd place. And with a 5 day turnaround and Wigan having a week off it's advantage Wigan straight away.

So in summary.

Wire make the final:

2. Hull

3. Wire

4. Wigan

Hull make the final:

2. Wire

3. Wigan

4. Hull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We really don't...even assuming we win none of the other fixtures (big if) I'd say we only need to win two of those games

I'm not sure 2 wins will be enough. I can see London relegated on points difference if that were to happen.

As poor as their form is you have to imagine Wakefield will find a win from somewhere. The same for Huddersfield. And Leeds and Hull KR are both more than capable of finding two more wins in six games. When sides are fighting for their lives it's rare that they just put together one defeat after another. Everyone tends to muster up a few big performances along the way.

Let's say Leeds and Hull KR both win in round 24 and London lose. Very possible. Would you still think 2 wins will be enough? Do you think anyone will go winless from their last 5? Perhaps they will, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

I think a team will get relegated with 20 points. 22 is the magic number for me.

Edited by MZH
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MZH said:

I'm not sure 2 wins will be enough. I can see London relegated on points difference if that were to happen.

As poor as their form is you have to imagine Wakefield will find a win from somewhere. The same for Huddersfield. And Leeds and Hull KR are both more than capable of finding two more wins in six games. When sides are fighting for their lives it's rare that they just put together one defeat after another. Everyone tends to muster up a few big performances along the way.

Let's say Leeds and Hull KR both win I'm round 24 and London lose. Very possible. Would you still think 2 wins will be enough? Do you think anyone will go winless from their last 5? Perhaps they will, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

I think a team will get relegated with 20 points. 22 is the magic number for me.

I genuinely don't think Wakey will win one more let alone 2...i think we are staying up.... Alex Walker will need to check his new Belle View contract of that does happen

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I genuinely don't think Wakey will eon one more let alone 2...i think we are staying up.... Alex Walker will need to check his new Belle View contract of that does happen

If London only win two then Wakefield would only need to win one unless there is a dramatic swing in points difference. You could be right, they are in terrible form. But I expect them to find a result from somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MZH said:

If London only win two then Wakefield would only need to win one unless there is a dramatic swing in points difference. You could be right, they are in terrible form. But I expect them to find a result from somewhere.

Its going to be an interesting ride either way it goes..... I just really really don't want to go to Dewsbury next year..... I'm sure it has some lovely people and lots of good points but.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ant said:

Ask me next round after the Giants play Leeds...

London remain favourites for the drop, it's all fun them beating Saints, but they need to beat HKR, Leeds and Wakey to stay up

But, their other three games are Salford at home, and Cas and Cats away. It is possible to see one, or even two wins there. They really do have a fighting chance. Wakey v Broncos final game could be a MPG in all but name.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dixiedean said:

But, their other three games are Salford at home, and Cas and Cats away. It is possible to see one, or even two wins there. They really do have a fighting chance. Wakey v Broncos final game could be a MPG in all but name.

Oh I agree, London have every chance. I just think they remain favourites 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Warrington play Cats away after their semi final, then Saints and then Wigan away. Wigan could be equal on points with them by then. Even assuming for these purposes that Wigan take advantage of the ridiculous Thursday match,  FC’s next few games all look winnable. I will stick my neck out though and say that I think Wigan will finish above whichever of those 2 gets to Wembley. 

I think Warrington have now ballsed their season up and the only real hope is for it to click in the semi final next week (and then the final)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think Warrington have now ballsed their season up and the only real hope is for it to click in the semi final next week (and then the final)!

They're repeating Saints mistakes of 2018 (without having the points already in the bag to finish top)

This time last year Saints were struggling for consistency with players looking too tired to perform week after week. Pretty much since Easter Holbrook has been rotating his squad and only picking his strongest team for key games (such as Wire, Hull & Wigan in the last 3 weeks).

 


This is captain Juncker speaking. The EU gravy train is about to enter Brussels, so will all Brits please exit at the next stop

To all remaining passengers, thank you for your continued custom and contributions to my pension fund

Kind Regards - YOUR PRESIDENT !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the team getting relegated will end up doing so on points difference, whoever that is!

Leeds play Saints the week before the Cup Final (assuming Saints get past Halifax this week) so are we likely to see a weakened Saints team again?

I've no idea what's going to happen, but its making each week incredibly intense!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

London must be favourites for relegation.  What would concern me if I was Wakey / KR / Hudds / Leeds is that London can string 3 wins together and have amazing team spirit.  They could lose by 60 one week then win the next 3 games by a few points if the opposition are a bit off.  They're super fit and super organised and the pressure's off them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remaining fixture are;

London - Salford (h), Cas (a), Cat (a), Rhinos (h), KR (a), Wakey (a)

KR - Cas (h), Wigan (a), Wakey (h), Cat (a), London (h), Salford (a)

Rhinos - Giants (a), Cat (h), Saints (h), London (a), Salford (h), Wire (h)

Wakey - Saints (a), FC (h), KR (a), Wigan (h), Wire (a), London (h)

Giants - Rhinos (h), Salford (a), Cas (h), FC (a), Saints (a), Cat (h)

 

Can't see any team winning more than 2 matches (if that) to be fair.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Wakefield are in real trouble. They probably need a couple of wins and if they lose against Hull KR or London it could be curtains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, davet said:

Remaining fixture are;

London - Salford (h), Cas (a), Cat (a), Rhinos (h), KR (a), Wakey (a)

KR - Cas (h), Wigan (a), Wakey (h), Cat (a), London (h), Salford (a)

Rhinos - Giants (a), Cat (h), Saints (h), London (a), Salford (h), Wire (h)

Wakey - Saints (a), FC (h), KR (a), Wigan (h), Wire (a), London (h)

Giants - Rhinos (h), Salford (a), Cas (h), FC (a), Saints (a), Cat (h)

 

Can't see any team winning more than 2 matches (if that) ....

I'll stand corrected but I think that's almost certainly not how it will pan out - since there are quite a few games where bottom 5 sides are playing each other. And someone needs to win those games (golden point etc etc)

The interesting thing (as I've highlighted above) is that London have three of their six games against other times in that bottom 5. Wakefield and Huddersfield only have one each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, davet said:

Remaining fixture are;

London - Salford (h), Cas (a), Cat (a), Rhinos (h), KR (a), Wakey (a)

KR - Cas (h), Wigan (a), Wakey (h), Cat (a), London (h), Salford (a)

Rhinos - Giants (a), Cat (h), Saints (h), London (a), Salford (h), Wire (h)

Wakey - Saints (a), FC (h), KR (a), Wigan (h), Wire (a), London (h)

Giants - Rhinos (h), Salford (a), Cas (h), FC (a), Saints (a), Cat (h)

 

Can't see any team winning more than 2 matches (if that) to be fair.

Giants 22

Rhinos 20

KR 20

London 20

Wakey 18 

That's how I see it panning out - the ordering of the 3 teams on 20 purely based on current points difference. Don't think I considered how important that last game between London v Wakey could be until now. I just can't see Wakey picking up anything except half a chance of beating London in that last game but it could be curtains before that anyway if they do lose the other 5. What is for sure is Leeds need to have picked up the 2 wins I think they need before the last game because they will get no change out of Wire. 

Edit: Just noticed everyone but Wakey play Salford and they could be a very erratic side to play as you would think if they lose their next game then that all but rules them out of the top 5 and could be pretty easy to play against, but if they win then others that play them should be worried. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listen guys, from what I have seen and know about the team I support , I do not have any faith in them winning another game this season. What will be really interesting is the last one against London. My prediction is that wakey will still be on 18pts by then and London will be on 18pts or 20pts but with a very slightly worse points difference. Either way it will be a true £1M game.

Now the very interesting thing !!!!!  Walker has signed and the rumour mill also suggests Pitts has done. These are 2 extremely important players. Do they throw the game to protect their next contract, or do the plan ahead, renegotiate contracts elsewhere and play to win. If they do play to win think it's all over for wakey and they go down and are finished. As many on here have hoped for over all these years, the super league ###### will be finally flushed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Listen guys, from what I have seen and know about the team I support , I do not have any faith in them winning another game this season. What will be really interesting is the last one against London. My prediction is that wakey will still be on 18pts by then and London will be on 18pts or 20pts but with a very slightly worse points difference. Either way it will be a true £1M game.

Now the very interesting thing !!!!!  Walker has signed and the rumour mill also suggests Pitts has done. These are 2 extremely important players. Do they throw the game to protect their next contract, or do the plan ahead, renegotiate contracts elsewhere and play to win. If they do play to win think it's all over for wakey and they go down and are finished. As many on here have hoped for over all these years, the super league ###### will be finally flushed 

Or we can start playing again like we are capable of and win at least half of our remaining fixtures.

Up the Trin 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think Warrington have now ballsed their season up and the only real hope is for it to click in the semi final next week (and then the final)!

The cheque book might be out again !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...