League leaders shield

I noticed tonight that there is a league leaders shield for championship. Is this a new trophy? I know there’s been one for super league, but did not realise there was one for the championship. When was it first awarded? Also I assume there isn’t one for league 1, as it’s generally first past post, with winner promoted & play offs for 2nd place. 

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Fev won it 4 or 5 times on the trot. 

One year we won it at Widnes but the RFL refused to take the Shield to the game to hand it over.  We got it weeks later. 

Toronto won it at Widnes today.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity

Which means they were either unaware, or they couldn't find it. Or very possibly both.

8 hours ago, ojx said:

If there are play-offs, this trophy has no purpose.

I fully agree, but the trophies exist (LL shield, SL & championship), I just want to know from which season the Championship division was awarded

9 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Which means they were either unaware, or they couldn't find it. Or very possibly both.

No biggie, we're over it, but we specifically asked for it to be there because we knew we'd win and they said "no".

So a bunch of fans made their own out of tin foil and it looked way better anyway.

15 hours ago, TIWIT said:

we were the holders so we gave them it back the week before the widnes game

17 hours ago, kev p said:

So what year did league leaders shield start? Not super league but championship division or equivalent?

It has existed since the play-offs were introduced in 1998 when Wakefield beat Featherstone, but it was called the Minor Premiership rather than the League Leaders Shield and was an actual trophy as opposed to the current silverware.

Archived