Championship could be divided

DOGFATHER

This was taken from Love Rugby League. https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/paper-talk-hampshire-future-hull-kr-coaching-changes-swap-deal-falls-through/

Talks have taken place about setting up a new Championship competition away from the control of the RFL, report League Weekly.

Several Championship clubs have been in discussions about potentially following Super League’s lead and wresting control of their own futures to create a new division, according to League Weekly. This would possibly include the likes of Toronto, Ottawa, New York, Bradford, Leigh, Dewsbury and Featherstone.

Although it sounds like mere speculation, I would be interested to see what they come with, if indeed these talks are taking place. I have very little faith in the people employed to represent the game outside of SL. 

Get rid of all the rubbish in one go lol

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I am a Swinton Lions fan and I don’t think this is mere speculation.I am convinced that a new competition away from the RFL or as it is now Super League as they are in effect the RFL will emerge post 2021.

And this is why from what I have been advised Championship and Championship 1 clubs have decided to accept New York and Ottawa because these clubs have access to huge sponsorships and it is hoped that clubs here outside Super League can piggyback on that...and we all know what is coming post 2021.And regarding my team this is a big reason why they are looking at incorporating Manchester into the brand and I personally think eventually the name Manchester will be in the official title ie maybe Swinton-Manchester Lions,Manchester-Swinton Lions Or Swinton Lions of Manchester. I think the second one is what they will one day be known as.

One thing is for certain changes are coming and I think that now is the time for chairmen to start planning for the end of 2021 season otherwise we will not lose some clubs but we could lose many.

I hope you are right RTG, I know in these circumstances, the old saying of "better the devil you know" is often bandied about. But I honestly cannot think what Rimmer's RFL have done for the game outside of SL, other than sell it down the river. As things stand, we seem to be in a no lose situation by moving away from the RFL. 

2 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Is it 1st April already-or is it simply Paper Talk?

I would not believe everything I read in the press. It is just an odd story to publish Imo. A nice dream on one hand, that the lower divisions are doing something proactive to break away from a powerless and in many ways, frankly incompetent administration.

But, it raises more questions than it answers. Not least of all, if not the RFL, who will administer the game, the clubs? Please no, if SL has taught us anything then we need to avoid that and self interested decisions being made “for the good of the game “. If we cannot sell a tangible product to the tv companies and sponsors, why would it suddenly become easier to sell an intangible one? Where are the refs going to come from? We haven’t got enough for one rl, never mind two competing versions.

Maybe this is a mischief making story made up by SL to weaken the credibility of the RFL even further. However, that might be unlikely. From what I can see it is a tough ask to make the RFL look even less toothless than they are and a bit of a pointless exercise to boot. 

Alternatively it could be a media spin exercise to make it look like clubs outside of SL are breaking away, rather than the other way around, to make SL look like the good guys once they unplug the life support machines that are keeping the game alive below SL. 

Or maybe just a negotiation tactic SL are using with Sky, making the game look like a more attractive proposition to up the price.

iIt could all be the musings of bored reporter trying to increase exposure of his website.

Your guess is as good as mine.?

Archived