Betting and rugby league

There’s a big discussion in football at the minute about gambling companies involvement in football and society. The most notable change is the banning of gambling ads during games.

Seeing as RL is heavily sponsored by betting companies, dies the sport do enough to tackle gambling addiction? The Football League has visible patches on every teams sleeve with ‘when the fun stops stop’ campaign and Obviously gambling and alcohol ads are banned in France but should we do more

Betting is the new Fags n Booze in the sports sponsorship world. 

To be honest in this country I don't think its too bad, especially when compared to say Australian NRL feeds. Christ its sometimes like a Gambling and Fast food advert with some rugby inbetween.

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Betting is the new Fags n Booze in the sports sponsorship world. 

To be honest in this country I don't think its too bad, especially when compared to say Australian NRL feeds. Christ its sometimes like a Gambling and Fast food advert with some rugby inbetween.

I think your right about the NRL, it’s the American model of having an ad at every break in play

There is no discussion here; football can afford to be choosy and its fans know it so if it moved on there would be Bus loads of sponsors top sponsors take their place. This is not the case for TGG where we find it difficult to attract top grade financial support so the gambling element which has been great for us shouldn't be cast aside lightly.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

32 minutes ago, Oxford said:

There is no discussion here; football can afford to be choosy and its fans know it so if it moved on there would be Bus loads of sponsors top sponsors take their place. This is not the case for TGG where we find it difficult to attract top grade financial support so the gambling element which has been great for us shouldn't be cast aside lightly.

I hate the proliferation of gambling sponsorship of all sports. However, if gambling is banned, what could be the next industry to be deemed unsuitable?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

It’s not actually that easy to find Super League odds sometimes, and def not Championship or League One - so I doubt if it’s gambling on RL that’s much of an issue. If people want to gamble excessively on other sports it’s not the RFL or Super League’s problem to tackle. Accepting that this is about sponsorship, but really what to Betfred pay to the championship; about as much as they’d need to sponsor one League Two football team I expect. 

Back in the `80s a RL handicap coupon was available thursday/friday for the weekends game ,which were all on a sunday. Jump forward nearly 40 yrs and Championship and League 1 fixtures for the sunday games are only available on the actual day. But you can bet on Bolivian or some other obscure soccer comp weeks in advance!

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

I rarely bet on RL. It’s just so hard to get the odds early enough in advance a lot of the time. 

I heard that Saints were resting a few and some injured players wouldn’t be risked on Tuesday of last week, could I find odds on the game in Paddy Power, William Hill or Super League’s sponsor, Betfred? Not a chance. 

The lower league betting is something I’ve looked at in the past but with odds only coming out hours before the game, it’s hard to get any advantage on the bookmakers.  

58 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I rarely bet on RL. It’s just so hard to get the odds early enough in advance a lot of the time. 

I heard that Saints were resting a few and some injured players wouldn’t be risked on Tuesday of last week, could I find odds on the game in Paddy Power, William Hill or Super League’s sponsor, Betfred? Not a chance. 

The lower league betting is something I’ve looked at in the past but with odds only coming out hours before the game, it’s hard to get any advantage on the bookmakers.  

Are you talking about physical betting shops? Surely you don't mean online? The NRL prices for this week are already up on Australian sites, along with the next round NRL, NSW Cup and Q Cup.

2 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Are you talking about physical betting shops? Surely you don't mean online? The NRL prices for this week are already up on Australian sites, along with the next round NRL, NSW Cup and Q Cup.

I think OC means British RL Ducky.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I think OC means British RL Ducky.

I assumed that but surely they can get the info up earlier. Even if they just use the default method - put both teams up at $1.88 and let the money flow drive the prices.

Just now, Farmduck said:

I assumed that but surely they can get the info up earlier. Even if they just use the default method - put both teams up at $1.88 and let the money flow drive the prices.

Bookmakers aren't known for their philanthropy Ducky.

rldfsignature.jpg

Having gambling as a sponsor will not create a problem for someone.

When we had cigarettes as sponsors no one I know who smoked had started because of the Regal Trophy!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

43 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Physical betting shops didn’t have any prices for RL on their terminals at all on Tuesday. 

Pinnacle don't go bust and that's their model and they take the biggest bets in the industry, alas they no longer operate in the UK.

None of the UK bookmakers are willing to take decent bets especially on UK rugby league which to them is a minority sport

BarrowRaiders-TheMan-1.png

7 minutes ago, the man said:

Pinnacle don't go bust and that's their model and they take the biggest bets in the industry, alas they no longer operate in the UK.

None of the UK bookmakers are willing to take decent bets especially on UK rugby league which to them is a minority sport

Their model isn't just to blindly go each of two and see which way the market goes.

Sky Sports is filled with betting adverts regardless of what sport it is. It’s not down to the RFL to restrict it, that’s the governments job.

Personally I don’t think gambling or alcohol adverts should be allowed on before the 9pm watershed. Tv programmes before 9pm have to be suitable for children, so should the adverts.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Having gambling as a sponsor will not create a problem for someone.

When we had cigarettes as sponsors no one I know who smoked had started because of the Regal Trophy!

Maybe you should tell the gambling companies to stop wasting so much money on advertising if that is true, the fools. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I dont think you can compare smoking/ drinking and gambling tbh. For example if you see a betting ad in game you can place a bet quite easily on your phone whereas if you saw a smoking ad in game you’d have to walk to the shops.

Gambling, smoking and drinking are all or can be to some people highly addictive which is why they are seen as negative sponsors, no one is going to become addicted to Kellogg’s nutrigrain.

Anyway the major problem with gambling as i previously mentioned is it is addictive and easily accessible 

Meanwhile, the Lotteries hammer the adverts and not a murmur.

Archived